closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Looks like TT100s on there! Nice looking bike Kev, I'd leave the paint and see how it looked.
    replaced those y tyres now Ian,i realised the front had been on since the late 1970's and the rear since the 1980's.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 5th May 2022 at 08:24.

Journeyman
    Forgot to add my very very long term project, old Guzzi 1000 California, now a bit different, while old Ducati and Norley need some tlc, there's always something to work on..

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    Nice. Did you build that? Harleys sound great but for some reason I cant bring myself to own one, but that would be right up my street. I may have to see about something like that one day, Norley, Norvin or something similar. It would mean selling the Tribsa or Harris though.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to add my very very long term project, old Guzzi 1000 California, now a bit different, while old Ducati and Norley need some tlc, there's always something to work on..
    Loving all of those.You have a very good eye for styling and merging the different pieces, as it only takes a small thing to throw the whole thing out.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    replaced those y tyres now Ian,i realised the front had been on since the late 1970's and the rear since the 1980's.
    Ha ha probably wise! Remember my first set of TT100's, at the time they were well liked. Still made today I believe!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Nice. Did you build that? Harleys sound great but for some reason I cant bring myself to own one, but that would be right up my street. I may have to see about something like that one day, Norley, Norvin or something similar. It would mean selling the Tribsa or Harris though.
    Yes I built it, still a few things I want to upgrade in time. Norton featherbed frame I commissioned to take the 79 Harley XL1000 engine which has been lightly tuned. The finished bike weighs 395lbs dry, 415 with oils and fuel.. about 100lb less than a standard XL1000.

Yes I built it, still a few things I want to upgrade in time. Norton featherbed frame I commissioned to take the 79 Harley XL1000 engine which has been lightly tuned. The finished bike weighs 395lbs dry, 415 with oils and fuel.. about 100lb less than a standard XL1000.
    I like that a lot. Looks classic but tastefully upgraded, conventional but modern forks with twin disc brakes, alloy rims, I bet the engine suits the chassis well. Cant fault it.

How is it registered? I ask because Im building a Harris F1 that doesnt have a V5 and its a real one off so it will probably have to go on a Q plate. The last special I registered was my Tribsa which I did as a reconstructed classic and the DVLA made me jump through a few annoying hoops to get it on an age related plate.

My slightly modified Bonnie, some on here may recognise it....

Cheers,

Adam.

Journeyman
    I like that a lot. Looks classic but tastefully upgraded, conventional but modern forks with twin disc brakes, alloy rims, I bet the engine suits the chassis well. Cant fault it.

How is it registered? I ask because Im building a Harris F1 that doesnt have a V5 and its a real one off so it will probably have to go on a Q plate. The last special I registered was my Tribsa which I did as a reconstructed classic and the DVLA made me jump through a few annoying hoops to get it on an age related plate.
    Well, there's the official way and there's the way its actually done in the UK. The former means taking a bike for a MSVA test, which could give you a new plate, assuming the frame is new. The latter is a grey area, but essentially you retain the reg number of the original bike. The current rules ref MSVA came about in the early 2000s, before then it was a lot less strict. But who is to say when an old bike was modified? Also you can legally retain the original plate of the 'donor' if the main frame is unchanged.. and that's a whole other area of what counts as the main frame and what mods are allowed, or even knowable, particularly on an old frame. But if you can get it through an MOT, insurance companies don't care, even with all mods listed. Clearly going to an MOT station with a turbo, one off framed special which bares no resemblance to the bike its registered as wont always end well.. but you be surprised what passes without comment..

I suspect that the vast majority of specials built in the UK take the latter option, with very few going through the hassle of MSVA.

Yep. If you have a donor bike with v5 the DVLA rules are flexible enough to allow quite a bit of modification provided the main frame isn’t modified (too much). It’s much harder if you don’t have a v5 at all, as is the case with my Harris so I think I’ll have to brave the MSVA test and get a Q plate with that one. With the Tribsa I didn’t have a v5 either so went down the reconstructed classic route which allows you to get an age related plate provided only one major component has been swapped from the original bike, which in my case was the engine. Since it’s a pre unit motor, they forced me to change the Norton gearbox that was in it for a BSA box which meant finding one, fabricating new engine plates and modifying the clutch and primary drive, a load of hoops that did nothing except keep the DVLA bean counters happy. The irony is that now I have a v5, I could put the Norton box back in and they’d still be happy. Crazy.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 6th May 2022 at 08:02.

Journeyman
    Yep. If you have a donor bike with v5 the DVLA rules are flexible enough to allow quite a bit of modification provided the main frame isnt modified (too much). Its much harder if you dont have a v5 at all, as is the case with my Harris so I think Ill have to brave the MSVA test and get a Q plate with that one. With the Tribsa I didnt have a v5 either so went down the reconstructed classic route which allows you to get an age related plate provided only one major component has been swapped from the original bike, which in my case was the engine. Since its a pre unit motor, they forced me to change the Norton gearbox that was in it for a BSA box which meant finding one, fabricating new engine plates and modifying the clutch and primary drive, a load of hoops that did nothing except keep the DVLA bean counters happy. The irony is that now I have a v5, I could put the Norton box back in and theyd still be happy. Crazy.

Assuming the Harris has a common big Jap engine.. Z1000, GS1000 etc, then what most builders do is buy a frame with V5 from Ebay from a Zed or GS, and stamp that frames number onto the new frame. Then cut up the std frame. Bit shady I guess, but no one will care, for a bike 30 or 40 years old.. you could say it was built in the 80's... who is to know otherwise?

Journeyman
    Could finally go and get new tyres fitted, and get the green Z650 back on its wheels. Had to wait as couldnt drive for 28 days having been ill. Those o;d wheels are blooming heavy. It'll now be a month or two before work can start on the engine.. might fit the original Z750 or perhaps one from the more powerful Gpz750.. both in need of rebuilding.

Journeyman
    After a few weeks pause, wheeled the Z650/1170 out on the drive to work on it, leaving a trail of oil from the garage, as an engine cover behind the sprocket isn't fitted yet. Made a bracket to fit the ZX6R rear light, looks ok, under the widened duck tail.

Meanwhile been looking for a future project, disappointed at the high prices on Ebay even for really rough old Kawasakis, so bought this instead.. 1978 Z1000A1 frame from the US. I already have a set of empty cases and a worn cylinder block. Probably take a couple of years to build it, still not sure what spec the engine will be, but all good fun.

Mods so far
    R&G cotton reels, tail tidy, front spindle protection, side stand foot extender, rad & oil cooler cover
    Evotech crash protectors
    8 x 6 plate
    Tecbike belly pan + decals off eBay
    Racefit Growler X can
    Cymart TFT screen anti-theft clamp
    Quadlock wireless phone charger fitted from my previous bike
    Pillion pegs removed.

Most importantly, bigger lug welded on the side stand to make it easier to get the bike on / off the stand with my vertically challenged stature

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Fitting a rear caliper to the R6 wheel in the Kawasaki ZRX1200 swing arm to go in my 79 Z1000 Mk2 has proved more difficult than expected.

First attempt was with a small Brembo twin pot caliper, but the disc is so small.. 220mm .. that the caliper hit the hub before the pads were completely over the disc.. not good.

Second attempt used a standard R6 caliper.. which fits of course, but its mount is integrated with the caliper body, and is in turn made to fit the R6 swing arm... which is no good, as I'm using a ZRX1200 swing arm.. sigh

Third attempt used an old front caliper from some 90's Kawasaki.. it would fit, but a mounting bracket would look ugly, while the caliper itself was heavy and old..

Forth attempt. I needed to find a modern sliding piston rear caliper, as this type has a narrower profile and so would fit over the disc without hitting the hub. Eventually bought one made to fit a BMW 1250GS, which worked ok. The alloy bracket will be finished in satin black, probably hard anodised.

Now have to resist the temptation to fit the suspension and wheels back on the frame, as waiting for the engine to be completed, at which point the frame will be lifted and dropped carefully over the engine. Much safer and easier than trying to lift the heavy engine into the frame. Once that's done, it wont be long before its back on its new wheels.

Journeyman
    The 78 Z1000 MK2 on its Yamaha R6 wheels, not an easy conversion.. Still waiting for the cylinder head to come back from porting/rebuilding, then the 1400cc engine can go in the frame. Ordered shocks from Maxton, in the meantime its
    only got one old shock fitted.

What model R6 are they from? They dont look like standard R6 wheels, they look more like Marchesinis?

Journeyman
    2011 R6, same as on the FZ1 of the same era, think they still use the same wheels. They are surprising light, only 100gms heavier than Dymags..

Journeyman
    Made a start on the new Z1000A1 project, modified swing arm from a XJR1300 to fit, along with the rear wheel from a new Z900RS. Got the USD forks too, just need to find a mint front wheel..

Made a start on the new Z1000A1 project, modified swing arm from a XJR1300 to fit, along with the rear wheel from a new Z900RS. Got the USD forks too, just need to find a mint front wheel..

Are you looking for a Z900RS wheel specifically or just anything that takes your fancy?

Is it a 900RS front end?

Journeyman
    The USD front end is from a new Z900RS, also have the brakes, so looking for a matching front wheel. Only one on Ebay at the moment, and its got a few marks on it. For this project want to go for a 'factory special' look, so using parts from the Z900RS helps. Bought a matching Z900RS swing arm too, but due to its design, couldn't be narrowed enough to fit the frame.

Ive recently picked up a crash damaged gsxr750 k7.

Ive bought a new pair of forks, front wheel and mudguard and I already had a set of gsxr1000 yokes so Ive a complete front end to go on one of my bikes. Im quite tempted to fit the rear end to one of them too.

At this rate Im going to need more bikes!

Having bought the front wheel, Ive since found a place that can straighten my old one so I may give them a try with it for future reference.

Journeyman
    New side panels and Z1 tank.. all the way from Japan. Quite reasonable price having seen how much dented, rusted out tanks go for on Ebay. Got a custom seat on the way too, but not landed yet.

Journeyman
    Collected these custom built Maxton shocks from the factory, expensive but hopefully worth it..

I think Maxton punch above their weight - and are very well thought of for road bikes (think they supply some top bikes at TT and other road races)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think Maxton punch above their weight - and are very well thought of for road bikes (think they supply some top bikes at TT and other road races)
    Yes they do, their small factory is in the Cheshire countryside, not too far from me, so rather than have the shocks posted, I went over and collected them. Had a chat with their technical manager, doubt I could do that with Ohlins..

Craftsman
    Can't believe I've only noticed this thread today.

Some gorgeous machines and some very talented folk.

Great eye candy =)

Further mods

Tank paint protection / decals
    Carbon front mudguard
    Carbon hugger

and GB Racing engine / clutch protection.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Weighed the 1170 at last, with no petrol, but all other fluids, its 211kgs / 466lbs . That's 34kgs or 75lbs lighter than the dry weight of a Z1000. Happy with that, and I reckon the MK2 will be even lighter, as the R6 wheels fitted are so light, though perhaps not as cool as the one off wheels on the 1170..

Meanwhile been slowly buying parts to build the engine going in the latest Z1000A1 project, the block I'd bought from Ebay had some fin damage, very common, so had the damage built up with alloy weld then carefully filed it back to give a decent epair, which hopefully will be invisible when painted..

Also been looking for a replica Z900RS fairing for a few months, as the OE fairing is ridiculously expensive. Finally found what I was looking for on a Japanese website, and it arrived today. Very pleased with the quality, and of course its carbon fibre.

Craftsman
    Great job on mending those fins.

Beautiful bikes.

I am another who has only just found this section! I have spent an hour reading it from page 1 before commenting. A few very talented chaps on here. I am not a modder, but I have spent much of my working life photographing custom bikes, classic bikes and modern (at the time) bikes for bike magazines. I still work for a couple now, mostly BSH and Cafe Racer in the USA.

A couple of recent shoots, not yet been in, but will be by Christmas!

A Virago that is now very different. It is the chap's first build. He built the frame, including building the pipe bending jig himself to make the bends in.... the tank is made from many hundreds of strips of metal dovetailed together. The pegs are built up from plates spaced and welded onto a spindle to create them. To give you some idea of how he has gone about it... the inspiration was Alien and Geiga. He does go to rallies on it, even though lugging his gear is a pain!

This one is an Indian Larry tribute by Flakey Dave in Bromsgrove, he built and painted it. I only shot it on Sunday, in the heat of the day and getting the gold leaf and silver leaf to not blow out was a trial, but that was when he was available.

I shall see if I can find some more old shoots of different genres, provided people are interested.

I noticed, when reading through, someone mentioned a Tigcraft Supermono... another bloomer in my life! I bought a Supermono from Baines Racing and had it a year or two, but then sold it.... oh to have it now! I bought one because I did the feature on it, MCi I think it was.... Myatt McFarlane Publishing had 14 titles at the time and I was providing much of the photography for all of them, so forgive me for not knowing which was for which! Which Bike was another.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Further mods

Tank paint protection / decals
    Carbon front mudguard
    Carbon hugger

and GB Racing engine / clutch protection.
    Non biker since riding a KX125 as a kid about 30yrs ago. However a quick question looking at the second photo.

Right foot placement so far back from the brake, is that as on track the rear is just not needed as much, or some dynamic weighting benefit of lean / turn in placed so far back?

Love to get a bike, the wife however is not having any of it. Ditto caterham or anything that dangerous. Fat Bob would be my ideal style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Right foot placement so far back from the brake, is that as on track the rear is just not needed as much, or some dynamic weighting benefit of lean / turn in placed so far back?
    Both, kind of. The foot placement is mostly for better control of the bike and to make it easier to get a good body position in corners. For most mere mortals the back brake doesn’t really do very much under braking since you’re working the front so hard that the back wheel is almost weightless and you wouldn’t want to lock it up. If you’re really good, you can use the back brake to help “back it in” by drifting the rear end (although that’s more of a stunt technique than a race technique) or feathering it as a crude form of traction control to stop the rear spinning up when leant over and under power. I’m not that good a rider so I only ever use my rear brake as an anti-wheelie pedal, although I would probably go quicker if I saved the weight by taking it off and throwing it in the bin.

All that is assuming you have modern bike with good brakes and good tyres on tarmac in dry conditions. If you’re on an old bike with crap brakes or in slippery conditions or off road, that’s a whole nother kettle of halibut.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 17th August 2022 at 18:18.

Master
    Both, kind of. The foot placement is mostly for better control of the bike and to make it easier to get a good body position in corners. For most mere mortals the back brake doesn’t really do very much under braking since you’re working the front so hard that the back wheel is almost weightless and you wouldn’t want to lock it up. If you’re really good, you can use the back brake to help “back it in” by drifting the rear end (although that’s more of a stunt technique than a race technique) or feathering it as a crude form of traction control to stop the rear spinning up when leant over and under power. I’m not that good a rider so I only ever use my rear brake as an anti-wheelie pedal, although I would probably go quicker if I saved the weight by taking it off and throwing it in the bin.

All that is assuming you have modern bike with good brakes and good tyres on tarmac in dry conditions. If you’re on an old bike with crap brakes or in slippery conditions or off road, that’s a whole nother kettle of halibut.
    Thank you, very comprehensive and easy to understand.

Journeyman

Repairing broken engine fins

Took a cylinder head to a local machine shop for a little work.. recut the valve seats and a light skim. When I collected the head, it was wrapped up in bubble wrap, so I took it home and carefully stored it away for a few weeks. When I unwrapped it, I was shocked to find my previously mint head was no longer mint, it had five broken fins. someone at the machine shop had obviously dropped it and covered their mistake with bubble wrap.

They say it's not what you know, but who you know, and in the case of my broken cylinder head, it's true. A friend, a local welder and fabricator spend several hours carefully repairing the broken fins. He had to cut off a couple of good fins, to gain access to the broken ones, then fabricate suitable pieces to repair the damage, before welding everything back together.

The cost has been covered by the machine shop owner, once he was informed of the problem. An apprentice has been let go, as this wasn't the first time he has done something like this.

Master
    Wow ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You were lucky to have good contacts, that was a costly drop. Everyone can make mistakes and damage things but to cover it up and say nothing , deserves the boot.

Steve

That must have been very disappointing to put it mildly! At least you know the right people to get it repaired, looks like they've done a great job.

Journeyman
    Its a common problem with older air cooled engines, particularly buying parts from Ebay, a lot of heads and barrels have broken fins. I only started with a set of cases for this engine, so need to buy a lot of used and new parts for it. The barrel arrived with a little damage, which I knew about. My friend the welder soon had it looking as good as new. It was then rebored to match a new set of pistons, and it and the head now need to go off to be ceramically coated to match the rest of the engine.

Meanwhile, I've been building the wiring loom for another project, which is interesting as it doesn't have its engine yet. Despite that, I think I can complete about 90% of the loom. The bike is getting RFID keyless ignition and GPS speedo sensor, both new tech to me..

Last edited by Merch131; 27th September 2022 at 14:54.

Simple mod but improved feel, and looks

Master

Talking Scooter Mods

Done a few upgrades on the TMax

Sports Screen.

Full Arrow race system.

Tail tidy.

Journeyman
    I've been plodding along with my projects, first the Z650 engine has been taken apart, to be rebuilt with new cam and primary chain, and anything else needed. Found old crash damage to the crankcases, where the points cover had been ripped off the engine.. some careful welding and machining later its all good. The engine will be silver when rebuilt, so the cases have been sent off for a ceramic coating, similar to that given to my Z1000A1 engine recently..

While I've made various brackets, etc on the MK2 project, to use a modern Brembo master cylinder with the Tarozzi rear sets

CAD Cardboard Aided Design

Finally got to loosely assemble the Z1000A1 project for the first time, but had to pack the parts away in boxes for now, as dont have space for another bike in my garage.

any suggestions for an aftermarket exhaust or end can for my Diavel, (other than a TERMI as want something different)

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoPantera View Post
    any suggestions for an aftermarket exhaust or end can for my Diavel, (other than a TERMI as want something different)

I had a racefit on my diavel. Incredible sound, very light too.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

These are amazing builds!
    Out of curiosity, how much does the weight of the motor drop the ride height?
    I too am a big fan of Maxton, not cheap, but not that much dearer than say Ohlins either.
    Richard is brilliant to work with also, quality and service is second to none.
    They're about 30mins from me, so very easy to drop in and get things sorted.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    These are amazing builds!
    Out of curiosity, how much does the weight of the motor drop the ride height?
    I too am a big fan of Maxton, not cheap, but not that much dearer than say Ohlins either.
    Richard is brilliant to work with also, quality and service is second to none.
    They're about 30mins from me, so very easy to drop in and get things sorted.
    The MK2 with the Maxton shocks still has about 10mm I could lower it by, and probably another 10,with the additional 85kg of the engine. Also there is the option of moving the spindle in the eccentric adjuster of the swing arm. I too am around 30min from Maxton, the Z1000A1 will also be getting Maxton shocks at some point in 2023. But got other projects to complete first.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I had a racefit on my diavel. Incredible sound, very light too.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    I looked on their website... the Urban Growler for Diavel. 650

i presume thats a whole exhaust, not just end can ? so did you need a remap for it to run proper fuel A/F mixture ?

Craftsman
    Not in the same class as Merch131 but I made new tank strap for my Centenario as my mark 1 version has stretched.

And no I don't ride with the mirrors like that. I fold them under when in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Not in the same class as Merch131
    Non of us are!

Journeyman
    Oh I'm just an amateur, I'm better at the theory than the practice, but I know people who know what they are doing.

This week, surprised myself, by pushing a bike, sans engine, more than two miles, including a couple of hills.. to get it to my mates workshop. At the workshop was my half completed big bore tuned engine, which we fitted into the bike. A few problems as I was using home made billet mounts etc, but got it in after a couple of hours.

While that bike is away, with a bit more space in my garage, dragged my old Guzzi project out into the sunlight for the first time in a year, to reboot the project..

The old Guzzi, my very long term project.. all alloy bodywork, started life as a cruiser California III. PS the seat unit isn't mounted right in the pic, hence it droops down a bit at the back.