closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Hybrid View

Master

The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Thought I’d start a thread and see where it goes...

Today I fitted the following to my Bobber..

Started off with paddock stand bobbins..

Then I moved onto a battery charging point... dead easy on the triumph as it’s all pre wired for the kit.

Next came my new quilted seat.

And finally my new swing arm saddle bag

Impressive, both of you.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

One of my GPz750s; it started off looking like this

It currently looks like this.

Next job is this front and rear end; 17” wheels for more modern rubber.

Here’s my Triumph Scrambler
    Too many mods to list completely ..
    U.S Works BSA-Triumph colours from the 60’s
    Speed triple front brake
    Lower geared
    Airbox/rejet /Arrow exhaust
    EtcIMG_2743.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just the one pic at the moment - it not everyone’s cup of tea but I like it

Started life as an 883 low - nice enough and have had a standard before .

Currently runs a set of wiseco 1214 pistons in standard jugs suitably bored out .
    Fuel supply is controlled by a piggyback ‘digital fuel optimiser’ using standard injectors and a less restrictive air filter . Vance and Hines exhausts - I won’t call them silencers . It’s not stealthy and I’ll add more muffling in the spring .
    Suspension is low - really low ! The rear shocks are pretty decent but it’s not the smoothest ride in town - it scrapes a little on hard cornering .
    All in all it’s a fun steer !

Master

Cool Forward Controls

My FC kit finally arrived, so I fitted it...

Printed the instructions from Triumph and all pretty straight forward... about 2.5 hours start to finish, with a couple of tea breaks

Master
    Nice mate, are you a member of Sportster Sickness ?

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    Just the one pic at the moment - it not everyone’s cup of tea but I like it

Started life as an 883 low - nice enough and have had a standard before .

Currently runs a set of wiseco 1214 pistons in standard jugs suitably bored out .
    Fuel supply is controlled by a piggyback ‘digital fuel optimiser’ using standard injectors and a less restrictive air filter . Vance and Hines exhausts - I won’t call them silencers . It’s not stealthy and I’ll add more muffling in the spring .
    Suspension is low - really low ! The rear shocks are pretty decent but it’s not the smoothest ride in town - it scrapes a little on hard cornering .
    All in all it’s a fun steer !

Master
    I believe the previous owner was - a couple of stickers on the side panels saying so !
    I’ve removed and blown the panels over to match the tanks denim finish now .
    De blinging will continue !

Master
    One of the reasons for wrapping the exhaust...... my feet are gonna be right by the headers..👍👍

Craftsman
    Stripped, washed, dried, acf50 and chain lubed.

Frame sliders and rear bobbins added.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Exhaust headers wrapped, and intake covers plastidipped....

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Exhaust headers wrapped
    Sorry, maybe you like them and that's cool, but I cannot imagine why anyone would you take a brand new pair of headers and wrap them in a grit magnet made of brillo pads.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Sorry, maybe you like them and that's cool, but I cannot imagine why anyone would you take a brand new pair of headers and wrap them in a grit magnet made of brillo pads.
    And if the pipes are mild steel it serves as a moisture trap and will have them rotten in no time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Yep...I like em that’s why I did it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    And if the pipes are mild steel it serves as a moisture trap and will have them rotten in no time.
    A brand new set of headers is only £265 quid.... plus the triumph headers are double skinned.. loads of guys in the USA have done it with no ill effects..

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I thought it was actually a bad idea to wrap modern header pipes. I’m sure I read something about it recently.

How easily did the Plastidip go on?
    Its only a bad idea if you don’t like the look..... I do so it was a good idea for me...

Plastidipping is easy, but to get the best results it needs to be a lot warmer than it is at the moment.... I did mine in a mates spraybooth.... took 20 minutes and they were ready to refit.
    If I’d painted them in my garage, I’d still be waiting for them to dry.....👍

Master
    Exhaust headers wrapped, and intake covers plastidipped....

Enoch,

Whats that wee silver beauty in the background there?

The bobber's beautiful btw... i love the brown leather personally.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Enoch,

Looks like a Thruxton R to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Enoch,

It’s my mates Thruxton R.....he’s been storing it in my garage until he passed his test, which he did last Tuesday....

I fitted a decat Xpipe to it yesterday and it sounds ace..... first ride out for him this weekend, he’s pretty excited about it.

Journeyman

I like that - rather Ducati Paul Smart!

I thought it was actually a bad idea to wrap modern header pipes. I’m sure I read something about it recently.

How easily did the Plastidip go on?

I’ve been quite impressed with under bar mirrors. I thought I’d only see my knees but they actually work quite well.

https://youtu.be/FgHxU8oxRE8

For my 3in1 exhaust

I was sober

0_0 ciao

Craftsman

My wife convinced me to ruin our big double garage. Ie turn it into a kitchen diner family room.... A garage sized shed is the bikes home until the wife (like yours) stops throwing all the available cash at the house!

Master
    Just tried my latest mod on the Bobber.... lowered the gearing by replacing the 40 tooth rear sprocket with a 43 tooth.
    It’s a mod that’s recommended on the Bobber forum, loads of owners say the gearing is to high.

Big improvement. Before at 60 in top gear it was barely pulling 2k revs and the engine wasn’t in a good part of the torque curve. Now is reving at 2.3k and feels much smoother.

Acceleration was fairly lively before, but now it picks up with a purpose... a good cheap mod..👍👍

I’ve got the new rear end on the GPz750, I’m waiting for the correct size lower steering head beSting to arrive now then the front end’s going on.

Master
    Finally got around to sorting my Kriega bag fixing solution... got to say I’m pretty chuffed with the results..

The bag is the Kriega US10

First I cut all the loop straps and punched a hole in them

Then using a soldering iron I sealed the ends and the hole so they won’t fray.

Next was to fit the loops under the bolts holding the rack

Now it’s a piece of cake to just hook the straps through the loops and fit or remove the bag

Job done

That’s a nice elegant solution; it makes you wonder why they didn’t do that in the first place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s a nice elegant solution; it makes you wonder why they didn’t do that in the first place.
    Cheers Dave.... should make the bag easy to use, therefore more likely to use it👍👍

Master
    Very neat job that Enoch and looks really tidy, the Kriega luggage is top quality.

Steve

Agreed! The Bobber seat doesn't allow the normal fixing solution so that's a superb workaround.

Can't believe I forgot to include this one! My 929RR.

Tinted double bubble screen and a few anodised bit n pieces... but the mod that mattered, a Power Commander inside the single seat conversion. All setup and dyno'd by Philip McCallen who had a bike shop just a couple miles from where I live.

Truth is... I only ever rode it to MY limits and never got to exploit anything near what there are capable of. Glad I did it though (and am still here to tell the tale!).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Can't believe I forgot to include this one! My 929RR.

Tinted double bubble screen and a few anodised bit n pieces... but the mod that mattered, a Power Commander inside the single seat conversion. All setup and dyno'd by Philip McCallen who had a bike shop just a couple miles from where I live.

Truth is... I only ever rode it to MY limits and never got to exploit anything near what there are capable of. Glad I did it though (and am still here to tell the tale!).

What a stunning bike!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What a stunning bike!
    Best front end EVER I rode... like a scalpel in the corner. I don't have many pics without my ugly mug in them with the bike, so here's the only shot I have from the other side. Titanium/carbon Yoshimura can was a beauty..

Stumbled on my Z750 pics and you know what.. its "lightly" modded.. so I'll slip it in here!! Loved it.. loud as **** and I had to wear an ear plug on one side to stop the pain. Ah... mid life crisis...

Replaced all the tank bolts with black anodised from "Pro Bolt". Like a stealth bomber

Master
    Not really done much to this in 2yrs, cylinder head covers (carbon), bar risers (about an inch), Mudsling rear shock protector, flip attachment for the 'screen, oh, the biggest investment was a trip to Hilltop Motorcycles in Hinckley for a tune up; now it goes like it should do-none of your flatspots to get it through the emissions legislation; now it pulls like a train! roughly 16hp and 14 more torques at the back wheel, well happy with that! :)

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Not a major mod really, but got a tank pad for my Striple RS, looks way better in real life, and nice quality.

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 19th March 2019 at 22:55.

My 1st "big bike" was a 600 Hornet. Clocks were iffy, so I installed a digital dash and went for a street fighter look.

Had a few in between.... Z750 with a tri oval Beowulf can. Hardly "modified" so I'll leave the pic off this thread.

Last one.. a Ducati Monster 750ie. It was yellow originally. Resprayed in black with a gunmetal tri stripe. Carbon seat cowl, carbon heel guards and a pair of Motad Venom cans. LOVELY deep thud from it... stupidly, I sold it on.

Couple of lo-res.. crappy 10 year old videos of it.. but you'll get the idea from the sound!

I’ve now got the front end on (zxr400), all the clocks, switchgear and bars sorted. The steering range could do with being a little larger but they would mean modifying the frame slightly and I’m trying not to do anything that stops me returning it to standard.

I’m happy with the look and now need to get it running as well as possible and start refurbishing the peripherals.

I’ve now got the front end on (zxr400), all the clocks, switchgear and bars sorted. The steering range could do with being a little larger but they would mean modifying the frame slightly and I’m trying not to do anything that stops me returning it to standard.

I’m happy with the look and now need to get it running as well as possible and start refurbishing the peripherals.

Nice love an old Zed could do with a period exhaust like a kerker oh and the back wheel painting 😁

Quote Originally Posted by ragerover View Post
    Nice love an old Zed could do with a period exhaust like a kerker oh and the back wheel painting
    I can’t disagree re the exhaust and I’ve sourced a standard four into two for my other GPz for when I get round to it.

Both wheels really need painting; it’s still a work in progress although it did pass it’s MOT last weekend. I’ll ride it for the summer and do bits and pieces of cosmetics along the way.

Of all the things I’ve done, fixing the pillion pegs so they stay up when not needed has probably given me the most pleasure, even though the solution was very simple.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can’t disagree re the exhaust and I’ve sourced a standard four into two for my other GPz for when I get round to it.

Both wheels really need painting; it’s still a work in progress although it did pass it’s MOT last weekend. I’ll ride it for the summer and do bits and pieces of cosmetics along the way.

Of all the things I’ve done, fixing the pillion pegs so they stay up when not needed has probably given me the most pleasure, even though the solution was very simple.

As you like classic Kawasaki’s

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    As you like classic Kawasaki’s

That’s a cracking collection, where are they?

Making a couple of assumptions from the way they’re lined up, I’d say (from left to right) the list goes like this:-

Air cooled

KH250 (or400)
    GPz550
    GPz750
    GPz750 turbo
    GPz1100

Water cooled

GPz600
    GPZ750 (could be a 900)
    GPX750
    GPZ1000RX
    ZX10

I think that’s pretty much correct. I do like the old Kwaks but could probably identify most of the other Jap stuff from that era too!

Meanwhile, the battery seems to have made a full recovery.

Craftsman

I do love a ZX11 , Had a few in my day and broken a few for the heads and cranks in my aircooled dragbikes

A couple of other aircooled Zeds

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do love a big old Kawasaki,who doesent?

The last photo is that the bike shop near Wheatley?

A couple of before and afters. Next mods will be satin black rims, thicker back tyre and polished stainless spokes.

It does look a lot different to when you got it.

I like it!

It does look a lot different to when you got it.

I like it!
    Thank you very much Dave, I wanted to create something different to anything else, with the suspension mods and loss of weight the handling is in another league as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Simple Satnav Solution

I thought I’d show my simple satnav solution...

I’ve had this old Nüvi 300 lying around for years, and I remembered I still had lifetime map updates for it, so thought, ok, let’s get it up to date and see if I can use it on the bike..

So I bought a cheap handlebar mount off eBay £1.43. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282710242862

I then needed an adapter to convert the Bobber charging point under the tank from DIN to USB or car type power socket.
    eBay again £8.94. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F153383596878

Finally all I needed to do was route the cable under the tank.

I can easily remove the satnav when not needed, and the plug tucks up out of sight under the tank when not in use...

Not bad for around £10 quid

Master

Cool New Seat

Been to collect my new seat today from Mark at Dragon Seating. Motorcycle seats and saddles custom motorbike and trike seats by Dragon Seating

Some may be interested to know that Mark does all the seats for the Triumph factory development and prototype dept, so he’s obviously held in high regard by the factory.:smile2:

Anyway, to the Seat. I wanted a gell insert and that’s exactly what I got. The colour is a good match for the swing arm bag too

Then a memory foam on top

And finally genuine leather with pleats

Have to say, I’m over the moon with the look, and the gell is a real step up in comfort..

Master
    Been to collect my new seat today from Mark at Dragon Seating. Motorcycle seats and saddles custom motorbike and trike seats by Dragon Seating

Some may be interested to know that Mark does all the seats for the Triumph factory development and prototype dept, so he’s obviously held in high regard by the factory.:smile2:

Anyway, to the Seat. I wanted a gell insert and that’s exactly what I got. The colour is a good match for the swing arm bag too

Then a memory foam on top

And finally genuine leather with pleats

Have to say, I’m over the moon with the look, and the gell is a real step up in comfort..

That's a Beauty!!

I fitted some bar end weights as I was getting some numb hands after about an hour or so on the R9T.

Minor job. 10 mins tops!

had this bike from new in 2000 for about 6 years.....very much regret selling it! Ducati Monster 600 that I caff'd with clip-ons, Rizoma mirror, vented side panels, tail end tidy, D&D pipes sounded awesome. Got tail-ended by a car at a roundabout, D&Ds got damaged and replaced with Arrows but never sounded the same.....hence moved it on but wish I'd kept it

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers!
    Mark