closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Motorcycle Modifications Thread

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    thanks Howard, but have you got a licence for those tools?
    I didnt even know I had those tools.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    I didnt even know I had those tools.
    Yes, it showed :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Only a minor modification in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy with the bespoke clock mounting bracket fabricated by a local engineering shop (ageing gent in a tiny industrial unit with lots of lathes and the like).

Why was this needed??

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Why was this needed??
    Well, as with virtually all mods and tweaks, it wasn't actually needed. But when has that mattered..?

When I'm riding, apart from the occasional glance at the speedo, the two things I like to keep a regular check on are the time and miles to empty.

Both of these are available on the little digital display, but not at the same time, and switching between them requires cycling through all of the available information (odo, trip 1, trip 2, instantaneous fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, etc) repeatedly hitting a little button on the bars. And of course because the info isn't there I'm always pushing that darned button to swap from one to the other.

But now, I can leave the miles to empty on the digital display, and have the time by the speedo.

No distractions.

Sorted.

Well, as with virtually all mods and tweaks, it wasn't actually needed. But when has that mattered..?

When I'm riding, apart from the occasional glance at the speedo, the two things I like to keep a regular check on are the time and miles to empty.

Both of these are available on the little digital display, but not at the same time, and switching between them requires cycling through all of the available information (odo, trip 1, trip 2, instantaneous fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, etc) repeatedly hitting a little button on the bars. And of course because the info isn't there I'm always pushing that darned button to swap from one to the other.

But now, I can leave the miles to empty on the digital display, and have the time by the speedo.

No distractions.

Sorted.
    Great idea, and what a neat job!

Using one of these;

I made some crash bars. Then painted them yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Using one of these;

I made some crash bars. Then painted them yellow.

Love that, though rather negates the camouflage seat!

Master

No distractions.

Sorted.
    Gotchya👍👍

Love that, though rather negates the camouflage seat!
    The camo seat wasn`t my idea, and after yesterdays ride i think i may change it for something less slippy. I`ve got some butyl pond liner lined up..

Completed converting all of the bulbs on the Triumph to LED.

Tail light is LED from the factory, LED indicators are Triumph accessories and headlight, sidelight and number plate light are Auxito-branded after market

Untitled2.jpg

How do you find the LED headlight bulb in use and was it an H4 you replaced?

I went from relays (huge improvement I think down to 3% voltage drop) but have since fitted a full HID conversion. Huge improvement although the cut off is a bit "letter bix" as no scatter from the reflector now. It was alsi a struggle to cut the reflector and accommodate the bulb/projector etc so all a bit crammed in so if/when it fails may go back to a regular headlight and LED bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Yes, straight forward halogen H4 out, LED H4 in. No cutting, rewiring or messing about.

Since fitting it, all my rides have been daytime or at dusk so I can't give a full night time ride report, but setting up against a white wall in the garage and checking by rolling it out onto the road outside my garage suggests all is well with a good beam cut off.

The cut off is, as you say, a bit letter box like, but that's a trade off that has to be accepted for having brighter lights while not dazzling other vehicles.

And so it begins again.

Got the bug with the Bonnie / Desert Sled project, so next I am doing what I would call a "Swiss Army Knife" of bikes.
    I have bought an Aprilia Pegaso, an earlier one with the Rotax 650 unit and the original upside down forks.
    As a relatively low mileage (about 12k) example, in a colour scheme only a mother could love, I think this may provide a good basis for an entry level adventure bike project.

Some of the more normal issues with this have already been addressed, with a new rear shock and replacement exhaust system recently installed and in good nick. The carbs have also been cleaned and it pulls really well.
    But there is still plenty of room for improvement, so here is where it starts. I shall keep you all posted.

Some planned improvements include a total re-colour including seat re-cover, lightwieght heat shields for the twin Arrow silencers, handguards, headlight upgrades, LED bulbs, rear hugger mudguard and tail tidying, knobblies (eventually) and so forth. I have a yen to do some TET miles on this, but we shall see.

As a mate of mine said, the odd thing is to think of someone actually walking into the dealership and making the active choice to buy a bike in metallic burgundy and silver. I guess it takes all sorts.......

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    And so it begins again.

Got the bug with the Bonnie / Desert Sled project, so next I am doing what I would call a "Swiss Army Knife" of bikes.
    I have bought an Aprilia Pegaso, an earlier one with the Rotax 650 unit and the original upside down forks.
    As a relatively low mileage (about 12k) example, in a colour scheme only a mother could love, I think this may provide a good basis for an entry level adventure bike project.

Some of the more normal issues with this have already been addressed, with a new rear shock and replacement exhaust system recently installed and in good nick. The carbs have also been cleaned and it pulls really well.
    But there is still plenty of room for improvement, so here is where it starts. I shall keep you all posted.

Some planned improvements include a total re-colour including seat re-cover, lightwieght heat shields for the twin Arrow silencers, handguards, headlight upgrades, LED bulbs, rear hugger mudguard and tail tidying, knobblies (eventually) and so forth. I have a yen to do some TET miles on this, but we shall see.

As a mate of mine said, the odd thing is to think of someone actually walking into the dealership and making the active choice to buy a bike in metallic burgundy and silver. I guess it takes all sorts.......

Dave
    Great little unit that Rotax.
    The Pegaso less so.
    Piaggio and their customer support are a waste of space unfortunately
    But it's still a great base for a project I recon.
    If you haven't already done so, register with AF1 (US Aprilia website)
    Amazing community there, and a fountain of knowlege for all things Aprilia.
    You'll get all the help and support you need there.
    God, I miss my Tuono.....*sighs*

Master

I went from relays (huge improvement I think down to 3% voltage drop) but have since fitted a full HID conversion. Huge improvement although the cut off is a bit "letter bix" as no scatter from the reflector now. It was alsi a struggle to cut the reflector and accommodate the bulb/projector etc so all a bit crammed in so if/when it fails may go back to a regular headlight and LED bulb.
    Have you had an MOT since you fitted the HID. I had HID fitted to my Gs , it was stunning. Then the conditions changed for the test and the following test it failed on beam pattern and cut off. I thought they were going to pick up on the warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Have you had an MOT since you fitted the HID. I had HID fitted to my Gs , it was stunning. Then the conditions changed for the test and the following test it failed on beam pattern and cut off. I thought they were going to pick up on the warm up.
    Yes it has passed MOT a few times since the regs changed- I did do a full HID conversion- cut the back out of the reflector and installed an HID projector so it passes for beam pattern. Although the shell is for an Incandescent bulb the projector was always for an HID, I think the tester is also reasonable which helps...

Pegaso is a great bike - I had silver one. A bit under powered and very under braked but a lovely tourer.

I changed tyres, brake pads and lines on mine but if doing again would look at front caliper or mc or both change.

Master
    Yes it has passed MOT a few times since the regs changed- I did do a full HID conversion- cut the back out of the reflector and installed an HID projector so it passes for beam pattern. Although the shell is for an Incandescent bulb the projector was always for an HID, I think the tester is also reasonable which helps...
    Thats where I went wrong , the guy who installed mine just popped the bulb in and located the ballast. However the old adage of night and day could not be truer. Coming home after a 2:10 shift over the moors near Rochdale the HID just did it all.

Agreed re testers , its nice to find someone who understands bikes rather than someone who slavishly follows the book.

Pegaso is a great bike - I had silver one. A bit under powered and very under braked but a lovely tourer.

I changed tyres, brake pads and lines on mine but if doing again would look at front caliper or mc or both change.
    Thanks - I have just started stripping stuff off it, so have not really ridden it apart from on a test ride. It all seemed to add up for a 650 from the test, pulled really nicely without being properly fast, stopped predictably, and vibrated a little at times as you might expect. The rear disc is tiny looking, I wouldn't expect much braking effort there, even if fully loaded with luggage.
    D

Even with HH pad in the front (big improvement) I found the brakes underwhelming.

Relay the headlights it makes the world of difference as the voltage drop was terrible - I think I was getting just over 12V at the Headlights and it was literally nothing once relayed properly - with decent bulbs I would say the headlights are adequate then or add some auxillary lights.

If you fancy a project an HID projector conversion would be fun but could manage well enough with a relayed setup - certainly measure the drop.

I was thinking of going LED for all lights, so that even a relatively Italian electric system could run them with ease, and yes, I was going to add a pair of extra spots. The ones I used on my Bonnie are very bright, which they should be as they are about 10W, but that is equivalent of about 100W incandescent.

Master
    Havent got the new Speedmaster yet, but the mods have started already...

Way to much chrome and bling on the speedy, so just had a few bits that the dealer took off powder coated satin black...😎😎

Nice to blacken things down a bit....loving those parts Enoch.

I've vynil wrapped a few aluminium parts to darken it down a bit....like you, I'm not a lover or chrome bling....

Few other gratuitous zorst shots I've found......decatted too...

Fence needs painting....wall needs painting...weeds need a weeding......it'll soon be spring so Mrs Tifa can make a start.....(j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post

Fence needs painting....wall needs painting...weeds need a weeding......it'll soon be spring so Mrs Tifa can make a start.....(j/k)
    My missus has a similar list...but she doesn't know about it yet

Havent got the new Speedmaster yet, but the mods have started already...

Way to much chrome and bling on the speedy, so just had a few bits that the dealer took off powder coated satin black...😎😎

Look really good! Where do you get this done, Ive got a few bits Id like coating? Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Look really good! Where do you get this done, Ive got a few bits Id like coating? Thanks
    Wrexham metal finishing.. that little lot cost 60 quid, for sandblasting, primer and top coat👍

Blog Entries

Ssshhhh ffs!!

(they don't but don't tempt fate!)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Wrexham metal finishing.. that little lot cost 60 quid, for sandblasting, primer and top coat
    Andy , are those bits back on the bike?. Im driving past Woods today and may pop in to have a gander at your new steed.

Steve

Master
    Andy , are those bits back on the bike?. Im driving past Woods today and may pop in to have a gander at your new steed.

Steve
    No Steve.... Ill be fitting them myself after the bikes had its first service😎

Master

No Steve.... Ill be fitting them myself after the bikes had its first service
    Nice one

Wrexham metal finishing.. that little lot cost 60 quid, for sandblasting, primer and top coat👍
    Thanks, sounds reasonable!

Oponeo does it again!
    Just snagged a Dunnie SportSmart II 180 55 17 rear ....95 delivered.
    Local dealer charging 165 (fitted.)
    v.III out now, so loads of bargains to be had.
    Will be spooning it on next weekend.

Master
    Oponeo does it again!
    Just snagged a Dunnie SportSmart II 180 55 17 rear ....95 delivered.
    Local dealer charging 165 (fitted.)
    v.III out now, so loads of bargains to be had.
    Will be spooning it on next weekend.
    Yes, I had a good deal off them for my XDiavel front tyre..Michelin pilot power 3. 120/70-17 77 quid, and black circles came up trumps on the massive pilot power 3, 240/45-17 rear at 122👍

Just need to get em fitted now..

Master
    Wrexham metal finishing.. that little lot cost 60 quid, for sandblasting, primer and top coat

Andy is there someone to ask for , or do you just turn up. The crash bars on my GS700 are looking pretty ropey now, having done a few winters and of course having deflected a young deer!

How long do they normally take to turn stuff stuff around, I would be doing the same as you satin black.

Steve

Yes, I had a good deal off them for my XDiavel front tyre..Michelin pilot power 3. 120/70-17 77 quid, and black circles came up trumps on the massive pilot power 3, 240/45-17 rear at 122

Just need to get em fitted now..
    122 is a bargain for a 240 section. Result!

I've mounted and rebalanced my own tyres for as long as I can remember.
    Average price for mounting, about a tenner?
    So not much saved, but it gives me something to do I suppose..lol.
    (Tend to give the calipers a deep clean whenever the wheels are out)

Master
    Andy is there someone to ask for , or do you just turn up. The crash bars on my GS700 are looking pretty ropey now, having done a few winters and of course having deflected a young deer!

How long do they normally take to turn stuff stuff around, I would be doing the same as you satin black.

Steve
    I think the chaps name was Shaun.. my parts took around 10 days.

Master
    122 is a bargain for a 240 section. Result!

I've mounted and rebalanced my own tyres for as long as I can remember.
    Average price for mounting, about a tenner?
    So not much saved, but it gives me something to do I suppose..lol.
    (Tend to give the calipers a deep clean whenever the wheels are out)
    We have a little bike repair shop just up the road. The chap normally charges me a 5er to fit and balance on loose wheels..

Blog Entries
    Well finally got the new silencers for the Enfield Interceptor. And made a start today to get them fitted!

This is the standard can, a bit fat and contains a cat in each one.

One removed and next to the new one for comparison. Quite bit slimmer and just the look I'm after. I wanted some Dunstall Megs style, but couldn't find any short enough to fit without altering the downpipes, which I don't want to do. So Norton peashooter style it is. Which are another favourite of mine anyway!

Old and new side by side.

Luckily they fitted straight on the downpipes without any spacer, just wriggled it on and it sliced off the compression gasket to fit nicely.

First one on and looking good.

View from the rear showing the slimmer look I'm after, compared to the original.

There is quite a weight saving involved, the originals weigh 5kg each and the new ones 1.3kg. Thats a 7.4kg weight saving, which on a bike which only puts out 47bhp is not insignificant! Plus the increased flow without the cats and restrictive silencers is a bonus. Will be tomorrow now to fit the nearside one. When thats done it's free flow air filter time, because easier out means more can get in hopefully! Might even get up to 48bhp!

Must order the single cafe racer seat and cowling as well. Haven't had this much fun since I had a Tiger Cub!

Take your time. You havent had to master that much power for a long time.

More seriously, nice upgrade.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Looks good Ian... I like the style of the new silencer😎

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Take your time. You havent had to master that much power for a long time.

More seriously, nice upgrade.
    Ha ha ha I know what you mean!

Lots more to do yet, but enjoying making it my own style.

Blog Entries
    Looks good Ian... I like the style of the new silencer
    Cheers Andy always liked that shape from years ago!

Blog Entries
    Today's job was to fit the new nearside silencer and refit the offside with sealer in both joints. Had to adapt the universal brackets supplied by bending for the correct offset. Also needed to drill new holes as they had to be shortened as well. All good and they fit really nicely. Pleased with the look and they sound really nice with a deep tone.

Master
    Havent started the mods yet, but I managed to pick this up, which I much prefer to the red..

Master
    The simplest modification in the world. I found an online supplier who makes the smallest, fully legal plates. This one is a very precise 174mm x 164mm and has the correct border, character size and spacing to comply with the requirements. Coincidentally, it's a good width compared with the Honda rear fender.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    The simplest modification in the world. I found an online supplier who makes the smallest, fully legal plates. This one is a very precise 174mm x 164mm and has the correct border, character size and spacing to comply with the requirements. Coincidentally, it's a good width compared with the Honda rear fender.

That looks nice, have you got a link to the supplier please, I might change from my 7x5 if that's a legal one,

cheers

Stuart

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    That looks nice, have you got a link to the supplier please, I might change from my 7x5 if that's a legal one,

cheers

Stuart
    Here's the link - https://www.jdmplates.co.uk/product/...number-plates/

The smallest legal size depends on how many characters there are in your reg...

Motorcycle 6 Dig Plate (174 x 164)mm, Motorcycle 7 Dig Plate (228 x 164)mm, Motorcycle 7 Dig Plate With 1 x I (194 x 164)mm

If you do order, look for the discount code in the top right of the screen before you buy!

Havent started the mods yet, but I managed to pick this up, which I much prefer to the red..

Yep - like that a lot. Great choice and agreed much prefer that to the red. Good find.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Yep - like that a lot. Great choice and agreed much prefer that to the red. Good find.
    Cheers... I would have ordered the bike with that tank, but I was offered such a good deal on the red one because it was in stock, it was a no brainer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

That looks nice but whilst not wishing to be a pedant there is no supplier of the plate on the bottom. I only ask as my pal has a Multistrada and he was stopped recently by a traffic cop asking where was the plate made.
    Last edited by higham5; 3rd March 2020 at 19:35.