closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Land Rover Freelander

Craftsman

Land Rover Freelander

I'm thinking about having a look at a local:

Land Rover Freelander TD4 - 2006 so the first facelift and just prior to the release of the Freelander 2

I'm not sure of the trim model, the owner is unclear, not badged so I'm assuming not HSE, but Freestyle or Adventurer or something.

It looks to be fairly keenly priced and below average miles for the year, but is there anything specific I should be looking out for on these?

Anybody driven/owned one?

Cheers

Franktmyfourfingers is the resident expert on here

Expect electrical faults and for the age bound to have gremlins

There are so many better choices for a small 4x4
    Jap would be my choice

Blog Entries
    Ive had one, awful thing. Same year and td4 but mine was the commercial version as I used it as a work van. Quite good spec, heated seats and air con but I couldn’t keep the thing on the road for longer than a month without something going on it, an utter pile of steaming junk. Sold it on eBay for spares and danced a jig as it went down the road in a cloud of dense black smoke

Keenly priced for a reason, buy Japanese.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Whe someone offers you a Freelander.....run.
    Run like the wind.
    Keep running
    Don't look back...
    Run until your lungs explode....then run some more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Whe someone offers you a Freelander.....run.
    Run like the wind.
    Keep running
    Don't look back...
    Run until your lungs explode....then run some more.

...not a fan then ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a freelander 2, never missed a beat, only leccy problem I had was water ingress into the top brake light, I took it off and resealed it.

mike

Engines are virtually bomb proof apart from the odd turbo and injector issues.
    Transmissions are the real weak points of this model. IRD units, viscous couplings, prop bearings, rear differentials all very troublesome, very common and very expensive to put right.
    Jatco auto box quite reliable, manual boxes also ok however clutch, flywheel and hydraulics are also a bit of a weak point. The flywheels on these cars now have rocketed in price and from JLR are over £1200 just for the part!
    Water ingression is also a problem.....most FL1s come with a free gold fish bowl in the back as they generally let water in around the tail door aperture seal.
    Front and rear electric window regulators are also common but not hugely expensive to fix.

IMO you need to get the vehicle inspsected by someone who knows the vehicle prior to purchase, very easy to catch a cold with this car...... buyer beware!
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 25th October 2018 at 18:00.

I had an auto TD4 for 5 years and loved it look out for :

- window regulators fail with alarming regularity, even if you soak them in grease £50

- bearings either side of the prop shaft VCU fail regularly £50

- VCU can fail, if you cannot push it backwards it’s boogered £300

- plenum chamber and egr get filthy £ hours of cleaning

- loads of smoke on startup normally means one or more injectors £150 each

- drop links, don’t use aftermarket, lucky if they last a month £30
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master
    My wife has had a 2008 FL2 HSE for the last 4 years and it’s been bombproof. The problems with some of the FL1’s has tainted the brand, hence the new model being introduced as the “discovery sport”, but the FL2 is one of the most affordable, reliable and capable vehicles LR has produced, in my experience. And I have owned most of them.

Avoid the FL1 and get a 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    My wife has had a 2008 FL2 HSE for the last 4 years and it’s been bombproof. The problems with some of the FL1’s has tainted the brand, hence the new model being introduced as the “discovery sport”, but the FL2 is one of the most affordable, reliable and capable vehicles LR has produced, in my experience. And I have owned most of them.

Avoid the FL1 and get a 2.
    That’s not what honest John says. He says the car is plagued with so many issues he simply cannot recommend you buy the car. At all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    That’s not what honest John says. He says the car is plagued with so many issues he simply cannot recommend you buy the car. At all.
    Not in our experience, or our local independent LR garage who reckon it's one of the most reliable vehicles LR have made. I wonder where Honest John gets his info.

Not in our experience, or our local independent LR garage who reckon it's one of the most reliable vehicles LR have made.
    To be fair the bar isn’t set very high 🤣
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To be fair the bar isn’t set very high
    I'm not sure what the latest batch are like but I have owned quite a few including a Series 2, Discovery 1, Discovery 4, Range Rover classic, Range Rover P38, 2010 Defender and I haven't had any more problems than I have had with the VW's, Mercedes, Ford etc I have owned at the same time. The worst was definitely Mercedes and I will never buy another.

My wife's FL2 is now 10 years old so I don't expect miracles but it's actually ok. MOT'd yesterday and apart from needing a new handbrake cable it's fine and we have no plans to change it.

It’s just statistical. I drove a 1.1l 205 for almost 250k from 60k without anything other than normal but casual maintenance.

If I started a thread saying that Peugeot made the most reliable car of all those I’ve had (Renault, Ford, Vauxhall, Merc, Toyota, BMW, etc.) I would probably be stoned to death
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    My work mate has a 2010 basic freelander and had hardly any problems and my mrs workmate has a 2010 top of the range freelander and its cost 4k in a year in repairs and its allways off the road

Not in our experience, or our local independent LR garage who reckon it's one of the most reliable vehicles LR have made. I wonder where Honest John gets his info.
    I’d imagine a lot more well informed places than a “mates” garages up the road.

Affectionately known as the Freeloader by my friends as it was sold on the Land Rovers reputation with none of the upsides.

They look alright and drive ok (from what I have done on test drives) but the number of them with the 4x4 linkage disconnected as it broke put me off.

If you don't mind sharing your budget maybe the TZ collective can suggest an alternative? Whats your goal here, general car or greenlaning, or both?

i share the same opinion. Fl2 in general is a great car

I’d suggest Honest John knows little about FL2

Master
    I'm not entirely sure what you are driving at but the Independent LR garage is not my "mate". I have simply reflected both my own experience and that of an established business with whom I have regular dealings. It appears that our own FFF, who I believe is more than qualified to comment has a similar view so no need for you to imagine anything.

I'm not entirely sure what you are driving at but the Independent LR garage is not my "mate". I have simply reflected both my own experience and that of an established business with whom I have regular dealings. It appears that our own FFF, who I believe is more than qualified to comment has a similar view so no need for you to imagine anything.
    Bit of background...I love the shape of the FL2, I mean I’d still like one today. Problem is, I like to research what I’m buying and the general consensus across every motoring website, magazine etc is that they are super unreliable. I’ve had German cars for the last few years and although I’m sure there’s plenty of German cars that go wrong, they do seem to have a better reputation reliability wise than LR. I have to agree thus far as in my own experience, my Audi’s, volkswagens, seat and Skoda cars have been faultless. Yes I know you can’t believe everything you read but I suppose that’s the point of having motoring resources..to help others steer clear of known problems!

Craftsman
    Little update:
    As it's local popped over and had a good look and a test drive.
    paper work is in order, quite a bit of history, no transmission work, ird, vcu. long Mot. a little tired inside, pretty straight on the outside. A couple of newish tyres, newish battery. Engine sounds and seems solid.
    Drives as expected.
    Cons: Had a little wriggle underneath, slight oil leak, couldn't locate exactly where from.