closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bluetooth speaker recommendations

Bluetooth speaker recommendations

Looking around at the moment and I am liking the UE mega blast, Boss Revolve and the Kef Muo although I haven't listened to any yet

Water resistance is not massively important and nor is battery, sound quality is first priority

I am also not worried about 'smart' features just want a speaker I can connect my Samsung S9 to and listen to music at home or at work

Got the jbl flip 4 from amazon and i am blown away by sound quality

I've not heard much to compare, but for the size I am very impressed with the UE Booms I got a couple of years ago. I got to two give stereo.

There is a Boom 2 and Boom Plus now as well, which presumably should be better.

I have a bluetooth Tivoli radio/alarm in the bedroom as well and I would say one UE Boom is maybe not quite as good, but two UE Booms are better.

Craftsman
    I have also got a JBL flip 4.... Brilliant.... I suspect the KEF would better it on sound quality. I do have a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless for quality listening...

Maybe worth trying the Dali Katch as well..

Regards

V
    Last edited by vertex; 24th October 2018 at 17:12.

Master
    BOSE Mini Soundlink is excellent (IMO of course).

Hello

Cambridge Audio do some lovely stuff!

Craftsman
    You will not beat Bose for sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Dockin D Fine is very well regarded. And it looks great too.

1 speaker = mono sound
    2 speakers = stereo

Just saying.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    You will not beat Bose for sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hmmm

I recommend the UE Megaboom , buy two and you can run them in stereo. Beats anything else , good volume levels , reasonable sound quality but the stereo link up makes them way better than anything.

The smaller booms also do the stereo link up I think. And there is a new model of the megaboom which is supposedly slightly better sound quality but loses some fo the nice design features of the one like the tripod mount I think.

For me the KEF will sound best, given their expertise in speaker design and being a LS50 user too. If you are listening for long periods they will be less fatiguing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Cambridge Audio do some lovely stuff!
    I’ve got several Cambridge Audio products inc Bluetooth speaker, also have the Bose Mini Soundlink. I hate to say it (I generally view Bose as a marketing, not audio, company) but their speaker beats the CA version hands down.

Master
    I’m a Bose fan boy, I’ve got a collection including the sound link mini solid little unit but a couple of years old now, a sound link micro which we use in the bathroom and it’s the smallest in the range but has great portability and is perfect for convenience we also have a revolve and the shape means the sound comes out at a 360 motion if that makes sense and provides high quality sound and the durable outer means it’s quite hard wearing and waterproof and the Jewell in the crown is the revolve plus which is just a revolve on steroids and really kicks!!!

The latter three are all interconnectanle via the Bose app so you can play music simultaneously through all at the same time which is great for when. I have the house to my self!!!

I can’t give a comparison but I’ve been very happy with all of them and the customer service with Bose is excellent

Craftsman
    I have the Kef Muo, brilliant little thing. Just a thought though, initially it doesn't sound as "bright" as some of the other offerings, give it time and you realise that the others are "tuned" to give a good initial impression, but the Kef will give a proper rendition of the music in the same way their big audio speakers do, someone said "relaxed" which is a good description. Cheers, john B4

Master
    Just read a review of the Kef and WhatHiFi reckon you can do better.... The Kef was the best 2015 but things have moved on. For c. the same money....

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/katch/review

Dali Katch.

Not a BT speaker user but that's what the reviews say.

Master
    I’ve heard one of these in action https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-BLUET...etooth+speaker on holiday
    Great sound and low bass. (and cheap n cheerful)

Thanks all for your advice, it's worth remembering that the KEF is now half the price it was a couple of years ago so that offsets it's age I think

The Megablast is now £100 more expensive than it was last week so that is out as the Megaboom is similar with no smart features and a lot cheaper

I have to admit to being swayed by the Bose, JBL, KEF names, I use Bose Soundsport earphones and they are excellent so the revolve is favourite at the moment

I really don't think there is much need to spend more than £150 As the quality apparently is very good at this point, I will probably get two eventually

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    I have the Kef Muo, brilliant little thing. Just a thought though, initially it doesn't sound as "bright" as some of the other offerings, give it time and you realise that the others are "tuned" to give a good initial impression, but the Kef will give a proper rendition of the music in the same way their big audio speakers do, someone said "relaxed" which is a good description. Cheers, john B4
    Just what I think too. As a former dealer in both KEF & Bose,when people auditioned their speakers I would say 90% actually preferred the Bose sound...why?
    because it's slightly brighter and more punchy, which is great particularly if your a rock music fan. Long term listening and they can become fatigueing and harsh. KEF have a much more refined type of sound but at the end of the day it's what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Just read a review of the Kef and WhatHiFi reckon you can do better.... The Kef was the best 2015 but things have moved on. For c. the same money....
    Same old story from What Hifi. I've read that rag for so many years "Things have moved on". One month it's 5 stars, next it's down to 3. They hanker after potential advertisers

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Same old story from What Hifi. I've read that rag for so many years "Things have moved on". One month it's 5 stars, next it's down to 3. They hanker after potential advertisers
    Completely agree.

Blog Entries
    Ruark, those little rascals are sounding really great for the money, looking good as well.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Audio Pro

Have you had a look at the Audio Pro range? Beautifully put together speakers with an awesome sound and great battery life, they are also really great value.
    Last edited by treebirch; 25th October 2018 at 23:24.

Craftsman
    Roberts may not be someone who you'd think of for Bluetooth but the latest are very competent but a little overpriced so haven't reviewed that well. We have a revival (old style radio with Bluetooth) but recently bought an S2 there first Bluetooth, internet radio and Spotify speaker. There's the S1, bigger S2 and you can link 2x S2s for stereo. This was over £200 new but I bought it on ebay new for £49. It's also on Amazon for £59 so you can try and return if you don't like it. It has an app so is tone-tuneable with an equaliser and sounds good - solid bass and big sound. Easy to use, good app for set-up. You really can't go wrong. This was replaced by the R100 which is £200+ and no better.

Journeyman
    Just to add another to the mix I have been using a Harman Kardon Esquire for the past couple of years and it has been absolutely problem free , sounds great and is a nice looking solidly built little unit .

Atb ...

Master
    I use a UE Boom. Never had anything else to compare it to, but I’m more than happy with it.

Craftsman
    For a small portable unit, I think the Sony XB10 is worth looking for. These speakers were a relative bargain when they came out, and now that they are available as b-stock/refurbished units for 1/2 price on occasion, they are an absolute steal. (I've seen them as low as $23.99 ea.)

Here's a link to a listing at £38.99. Not the best price I've seen, but still quite good. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sony-SRS-XB...-Red/847705511

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    BOSE Mini Soundlink is excellent (IMO of course).
    Another vote for the Bose....quality sound.

I thought I would resolve this and let everyone know that I made my decision and went for the JBL charge 3

I actually made up my mind to go for the JBL flip 4 on people's recommendations earlier in the thread and in fact I thought about buying two as they are £90 in my local currys, I finally and begrudgingly discounted the Kef due to water resistance (bathroom/outdoor use) and the fact I couldn't hear it locally where I live

I went in to pick it/them up and noticed that the only JBL speaker connected up was the charge 3, I fired it up and was impressed with the sound quality and robust construction, I compared it with the Bose Revolve and for me the JBL won

So the conundrum was go for the flip or the slightly larger charge 3, well I decided to take nothing to chance and went for the speaker I listened to for £119

I may eventually get another for stereo sound but for now I will see how it goes, I think like most things I tend to obsess about these decisions and so I knew I had to resolve this obsession and buy something lol

B&O Beoplay A1 £199 from John Lewis punches above it’s weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    B&O Beoplay A1 £199 from John Lewis punches above it’s weight.

Ignore Just seen you’re sorted. EnJoY