closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sleeping problems / insomnia

Sleeping problems / insomnia

Any helpful tips? Asking for a friend
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

A few glasses of your finest liquor ? If it doesn’t work it will fail most pleasantly.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Depends on the person. Advice needs to be tailored to their specific problem and with due consideration of their routines.

Velarium tablets. You can get them from Holland & Barrett and the like.

I had sleep issues years ago and my wife suggested these. I could take two tablets about 9pm and by 10pm I could barely keep my eyes open. I slept right through. It might not work for everyone but worth a try.

I also find a couple of mugs of camomile tea in the evening helps me unwind and rests the mind when I'm on my non-booze nights.

Good luck

Master
    Ask them if there worries are overwhelming them, I advocate in a secure mental health unit and the amount of people who suffer a episode breakdown through lack of sleep is growing, this can send people over the edge it’s one of the first signs, if it’s not tackled soon it could become a bigger problem.

Pills don’t usually work will only mask a underlying issue.

Zopiclone is usually given when a patient is taken in to help in the first instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have the issue of waking up in the night and not being able to get back to sleep.

I went to see the doctor and they suggested switching the light on and reading a book. Apparently reading (fiction especially) uses the same/similar parts of the brain as dreaming, stopping your brain waking up the wrong (?) bits by "worrying" about all the things you have to do the next day etc.

Worked and continues to work for me.

Panic wank or two?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Owl1
    Could try watching Man Utd play.

https://youtu.be/4SDVkdcO8ts

No tea after 3
    Avoid electric gizmos or things that make your brain active an hour before bedtime
    Dont have the bedroom too hot.
    If you struggle to sleep- get up and do something like reading a book downstairs, laying in bed struggling and thinking about sleep makes it worse.
    Dark room also helps.

Get into a decent sleep routine. No TV/phone hour before bed. Same bed time every night. Meditation can help.

There's a book called night school which is worth a read

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The whisky tasting selection on SC should do the trick

Craftsman
    Bed room is just that. Not a TV room nor a ipad or laptop room.

Radio on low and reading only, as others have said do not get the brain in to hear before bed, calm it down.

Drop the coffee and alcohol before bed.

Best of luck with it all it is a nighmare, sorry, not being anle to sleep.

Avoid alcohol. You won't get decent sleep, you'll just feel worse.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Master
    I was prescribed zopiclone, but really did not like the side effects or the way that it made me feel. Then read about it through google and made the decision that I would rather suffer from tiredness during the day. However, in extreme cases for me the tiredness was akin to being drunk in terms of fatigue, and even slurring speech.

Exercise and fresh air.

Lots and lots and lots of it. And a bit more.

We are meant to work harder than we do. Well, those of us with desk jobs. I'm fairly sure that after 12 hours' hard labour in the fields, sleep comes easily.

Edit - Dave-O, some of the responses in this thread are more serious than my flippant response. If things are concerning you, drop me a PM.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 24th October 2018 at 20:23.

Master
    I’ve had sleeping problems my whole life. Can remember as young as 10 or 11 and struggling to sleep. Around 2006/07 it escalated and wore me down so much I ended up getting very depressed and went onto anti depressants for a while. I was also prescribed zopyclone 3.75m which I’ve been on and off on for over a decade. During that time I’ve had 3 quite severe illnesses which involved hospital stays (pneumonia, a botched operation and labyrinthitus) which increased my dosage to 7.5m at the time and hence making things worse I guess.

I’d have good periods where I’d only take them 2 or 3 times a week and occasionally I’d go on entire runs of not having any (41 days was my record), though the insomnia would always return. Stress from my business is/was definitely a factor, being overweight doesn’t help. Watching tv and playing on phones and I pads over stimulates so that doesn’t help.

I asked this question on Rolex forums a few months back and a large response of Americans suggested melatonin gummies. Can’t buy them in this country as they aren’t licenced so got them shipped from the U.S.

They work. I’ve not had a sleeping tablet in nearly 3 months and I’m only taking these every other night or less and I’m sleeping better than I can remember. Maybe as they aren’t licensed people might I shouldn’t take them, however they are sold in Walmart, Walgreens, on amazon and loads of shops over they and to me they are far better than sleeping tablets. Oh be careful though - I tried 2 one night and had hallucinations!

Master
    Try a heavier quilt/ blanket what ever you use.
    It dose make a difference. When we last changed our quits the new ones where a lot lighter. I just put a blanket over my side to weight it down a bit worked a treat. Have the street lamps near you house been changed?
    They changed ours to led and the white light played havoc as we only had blinds. There was quite a few complaints about them locally

Master
    No big / heavy meals after 7pm

Spoon full of Cherry Night in a cup of green tea about an hour before bed.

Also a banana, it’s high potassium content relaxes the muscles, but an hour or so you’ll digest the sugars before sleep.

Or

GIN, lots and lots of GIN

Blog Entries
    Lay on your back breath slow and relax from head down to your feet. Slow breathing and focus on it.

5 live on the radio also helps.

Blog Entries
    A former colleague's wife had sleeping problems. She tried everything possible so he told me. In the end she went to see a psychologist (yes) and apparently these sessions did the trick. Off course he didn't share the subject of those sessions, none of my business. But just saying that there might be more under the surface than we think.

Menno

Hello

I’ve found the tv on. Sleep timer with YouTube playing storm / waves / thunder and lightning type noises has helped me drop off a lot better.

I used to suffer a lot with lack of sleep. But would echo the reading before bed as well.

Self hypnosis....

Master
    Don't worry about it , get up and stay up , use the time effectively . Missing a night's sleep won't kill you .

Stay fully up the next day , don't nap or go to bed early , when you go to bed at your usual time you'll probably be extremely tired and sleep the full night.

Then you should have reset your body clock into a normal sleep cycle.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Phenergan x 2

It's a close friend of mine.
    She has alot of responsibility and I think lack of sleep is anxiety related.
    I've told her she should try and address this but she is the 'soldier on' type.

Yoga. Meditation, breathing exercises.

Melatonin seems to have a little effect, Ucerax or other antihistamines work but like any sleeping tablets make me drowsy up to hours after waking.

Cut out any caffeine apart from early mornings, and cut down on the coke and ampht.

I rarely sleep that well, and cant function as well with continued lack of sleep - thankfully mot weeks I manage to get one or two longer sleep nights in.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Insomnia is awful. But on the plus side...
    ...only three more sleeps till Christmas.

Melatonin,if it's still not available in the UK get someone who is visiting an enlightened country to bring you some back.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Melatonin,if it's still not available in the UK get someone who is visiting an enlightened country to bring you some back.
    You can order it online and they ship from the US to the UK

It was my understanding that melatonin was banned in the UK during the mad cow episode because of an ingredient in the caps, and never reinstated.

I might have made it up though (or dreamed it).

I use it a few times a month to manage time zone changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It was my understanding that melatonin was banned in the UK during the mad cow episode because of an ingredient in the caps, and never reinstated.

I might have made it up though (or dreamed it).

I use it a few times a month to manage time zone changes.

You can either buy it from the US and they ship it here, I buy the 5mg gummies, they come in a pot of 90 for about £10, or you can do one of those online consultancy with a Doctor in the Uk and they prescribe you them but this is far more costly, the gummies are the best way, I just use them now and then when I can't sleep and they do work for me.

Master
    After a recent bereavement and a catheter ablation for atrial flutter my sleep is shot to pieces. My usual remedy is to go to the gym and wreck myself but after the operation this is not an option for the next 3-5 weeks so I toddled off to the doctors and she prescribed some zopiclone. This didn't seem to do much but in actuality i have been having much better quality sleep and was feeling pretty ok for the 4 or 5 days I've been taking it.
    The wife, who's a nurse had some horror stories about zopiclone tolerance / addiction so I tried not using it last night... awful nights sleep, restless, awareness of surroundings while 'asleep' all the old horrors. She's bought me some Valerian drops which i'm going to try tonight to see if that helps.
    Not getting enough quality sleep is awful and those who do not / have not suffered from it do not realise just how much impact it has on all areas of your life. Drugs like zopiclone and to a lesser extent 'natural' remedies like Valerian are an answer but come with downsides that must be understood and considered. I personally would prefer to address the issue without recourse to drugs of any kind but if I cannot then I will use the lowest possible dose of the least harmful chemical to alleviate the problem as not doing so is worse. I take no shame in this attitude and would encourage anyone who wakes up just as tired as when they went to bed to go see their GP and see what options they may have.

This works well for me and many I have recommended it to

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/deep...337349999?mt=8

no coffee after 7pm...get rid of any light sources....and yes Valerian works also but the Andrew Johnson app is fabulous don't know how it works but never get to end

meditation?

CBD oil?

Read "SQL server administrator's guide" - ( possible, you won't get past page 5)

But sometimes its the simple things that work (naturally as has been said pending any underlying medical/mental/lifestyle issues - you do not need psychotropics for something humans can do from the womb):

A brown bread lettuce sandwich before bed - like tons of lettuce, not just a few leaves - Germans swear by it

Specifically, it’s the white latex from the plant’s stem — known as lettuce opium — that does the job, says McIntyre, author of “Simple Home Remedies for Common Ailments” (Gaia Books). She says the substance in the plant’s stem “looks and works the same way as the opium poppy.”
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 16th November 2018 at 09:26.

Look on the bright side, only three more sleeps til Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You can either buy it from the US and they ship it here, I buy the 5mg gummies, they come in a pot of 90 for about £10, or you can do one of those online consultancy with a Doctor in the Uk and they prescribe you them but this is far more costly, the gummies are the best way, I just use them now and then when I can't sleep and they do work for me.
    My son has been prescribed melatonin for the last 3 years or so here in the uk. Had no idea there was a mad cow disease link in the past. A bit worried now tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find listening to audio books or podcasts at low volume with in ear headphones often does the trick. The Guardian long read podcast never fails to bore me into coma

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    “Thisworks” sell a range of sprays that are supposed to help. They seem to be lavender based and get sprayed on your pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Exercise and fresh air.

Lots and lots and lots of it. And a bit more.

We are meant to work harder than we do. Well, those of us with desk jobs. I'm fairly sure that after 12 hours' hard labour in the fields, sleep comes easily.

Edit - Dave-O, some of the responses in this thread are more serious than my flippant response. If things are concerning you, drop me a PM.
    Yep … walk every evening and reduce coffee / tea (caffein) intake …

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Velarium tablets. You can get them from Holland & Barrett and the like.

I had sleep issues years ago and my wife suggested these. I could take two tablets about 9pm and by 10pm I could barely keep my eyes open. I slept right through. It might not work for everyone but worth a try.

I also find a couple of mugs of camomile tea in the evening helps me unwind and rests the mind when I'm on my non-booze nights.

Good luck
    I think you mean valerian (the plant extract). Get some of the best quality, and get the extract. Fo me it works, together with camomile infusion just after dinner. Also Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride
    (lthe original Nytol) works well and ts safe. Zopiclone often gives nightmares, but if you can tolerate it, is also excellent and gives no effects on breathing while your sleep).

Keeping busy during the day (including phsical activity) but the being able to relax when you get home, is also very helpful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Phenergan x 2
    Tried these only once, on a 14 hour Air Asia flight, KL to Stansted. Put me spark out for 10 hours. Magic.

Seriously interested in the advice here, after about 25 years of working nights I have a very poor sleep pattern. Retire soon, so hope can sort things then.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Tried these only once, on a 14 hour Air Asia flight, KL to Stansted. Put me spark out for 10 hours. Magic.
    Such solutions work in certain circumstances. If you're knackered when you get on and/or it's a night-flight it might work.

I'm in AMS waiting for my final leg from a lunchtime BKK flight . I took enough pharmaceuticals (benzos - plus much hard booze) to floor a horse but only got about four hours' kip.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Tried these only once, on a 14 hour Air Asia flight, KL to Stansted.
    Didn't realise Kings Lynn had an airport

Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    I find listening to audio books or podcasts at low volume with in ear headphones often does the trick. The Guardian long read podcast never fails to bore me into coma

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Me too... this is what Apple Airbuds are great for. You can use one bud on low volume and comfortably get your head down. I wake up mostly the bud has fallen out during the night without waking me, or with cables strangling me. Perfect

Sent from my PH-1 using TZ-UK mobile app