closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Probably my favourite Omega......and it's mine all mine!

Grand Master

Probably my favourite Omega......and it's mine all mine!

My enthusiasm for vintage Omegas dates back almost 20 years and it's been well and truly rekindled recently.

Here's one I bought in 2003 from an antiques fair for £110, case ref is 166.032, the watch dates to around 1969. For a watch from that era it's large, measuring 36.5mm exc crown. I bought it without the bracelet and after several months of searching I sourced the correct bracelet (1069 with 524 end pieces) to go with it.

This one's had a chequered history with me. On the day I bought it my mother was admitted to hospital and died a couple of months later. I wore the watch on and off, but was never happy with how it ran. Eventually I decided to keep it and gave it to a repairer to service properly. I subsequently learned that this guy was ripping me off and this watch was a prime example, it ended up with the hairspring contaminated by sticky residues from the decomposing caseback seal and despite a couple of attempts to sort it out he never really got it right.

Fast forward to 2010, attending my first BHI training course I took this one with me....and was dismayed to learn the amplitude was around 150° with the watch running badly. Having become 'skilled in the art' myself I eventually stripped the watch down and found problems with the balance; it ended up in a stripped down state for a couple of years and I never found time to sort it out. Finally in 2016 I bit the bullet and sorted the watch out properly, including a very detailed refinish of the case, bezel and caseback. This restored the watch to its former glory but I never got around to refinishing the bracelet. It wasn`t bad, but to match the watch it needed sharpening up.........that finally happened this week and today I reunited the bracelet with the watch.

I`ve owned this watch for 15 years and never really had much use out of it. Crazy but true; I recall taking it on holiday in 2004 and the damned thing stopped! Ironically it's one of my favourite watches too.

Anyhow, it's now well and truly back to its former glory and it looks stunning on the bracelet........almost too nice to wear and risk getting scratched. I wouldn't want to refinish that case again!

For those not familiar with this model, the dial has a frosted finish that could be mistaken for a refinish, but that's exactly how they were originally. Apart from some careful refinishing work to get the contrasting polished/ brushed surfaces correct (including the bezel) this watch is all original and it looks exactly as it did when the first owner bought it. The glass has been replaced, the hands have been replated and relumed, the crown's had a new O-ring fitted, and the movements had a couple of new parts.

As for the bracelet, it cost me £25 from an Indian seller on ebay in 2004 and it was already refinished to a reasonable standard; definitely one of my better ebay buys!

here's the watch

+ bracelet after refinishing

here's the two re-united, it's just like getting a new watch!

greenshot

That's lovely Paul well done,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    great work and an excellent watch paul, didn't you have this model in gold too? i once got offered one at an excellent price and passed it up as too small, regretted it ever since!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    I also owned a gold-capped version with a gold dial, sold that many years ago!

I think this case ref. (166.032 and 168.023) was sold from 67-70. Steel, gold- capped and solid gold versions were available; chronometer versions were also made and they fetch a premium. Personally I’d always be guided by condition if buying.

Thesedays folks are put off vintage watches by the relatively small sizes, 34mm was almost standard in the 60s. At 36.5mm this model wears significantly bigger than typical watches from that era, it has similar wrist presence to a modern Datejust or Aqua Terra and by the standards of the day it was large.

Paul

Grand Master
    i want one now!
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I also owned a gold-capped version with a gold dial, sold that many years ago!

I think this case ref. (166.032 and 168.023) was sold from 67-70. Steel, gold- capped and solid gold versions were available; chronometer versions were also made and they fetch a premium. Personally I’d always be guided by condition if buying.

Thesedays folks are put off vintage watches by the relatively small sizes, 34mm was almost standard in the 60s. At 36.5mm this model wears significantly bigger than typical watches from that era, it has similar wrist presence to a modern Datejust or Aqua Terra and by the standards of the day it was large.

Paul
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

That's a lovely looking watch Paul,

PLenty of "history/memories" wrapped into it as well.

That is quite nice, a job well done.

How did you refinish it? Is it bead blasted?

Master
    Lovely watch and it sounds like a great (if not timely!) job.

Stunning Paul, look forward to seeing at the next GTG (that I need to start to organise)

Lovely watch Paul

Master
    Very nicely done. I'm not a fan of shiny bracelets but that clasp looks super nice and new!

Apprentice
    Lovely classic watch at just the right size, glad you are now happy with it and it is looking great.

Beautiful Paul. I hadn’t appreciated how nice an old Seamaster could look until seeing this. The bracelet makes a huge difference.

And another candidate for the ‘gold markings, pale dial, steel case’ club!

That's a handsome watch, I'd happily wear that.

That looks absolutely lovely Paul; I think I'm going to have to try owning an old Omega.

David

Master
    Looks beautiful! Congratulations, patience and persistence paid off !

Blog Entries
    That looks superb Paul. I do hope you wear it though. I would be a shame to be tucked away in a draw for another 15 years.

Martyn.

Cracking!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post

How did you refinish it? Is it bead blasted?
    No beadblasted finishes on this one, it's a combination of polished and lightly grained/brushed.

I use conventional metal polishes, various grades of wet and dry paper, Garryflex blocks and Scotchpad-type abrasives. Small hard rubber and wood blocks are used, I never use an abrasive paper 'freehand', always wrapped around a perfectly flat surface, that's the trick to keeping edges sharp. Final polishing is done on a polishing wheel, but that's only the very last polish to get fine hairline scratches out. I also use a Buflex wheel (slowly!) to get the graining absolutely straight on clasps or case sides. Lots if fiddly masking work involved, that's essential and it pays to take great care.

For me, refinishing work is a bit like gardening; I don`t enjoy it, I find it tedious, but I like to see the end results.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th October 2018 at 12:16.

Master
    Fabulous looking Omega in super condition, bonus to have the bracelet in equally good condition.

Fantastic condition. Congrats!

Craftsman
    Wanted to join in the chorus of thanks for sharing this story and how you've fettled it. I really enjoy your posts about undertaking repairs and servicing. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Lovely piece. Nice to see it back in running order and back on your wrist.

Paul that looks like the Rottweilers dangly bits on the original bracelet
    Great write up too.
    EnJoY

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A lovely looking Omega , enjoy .

Fantastic. And I guess all the more satisfying given your history with it.

Wear and enjoy

Journeyman
    That's lovely, Paul. Really nice refinishing work and a classic watch.
    Cheers, Chris

That's a beautiful piece Paul and your refurbishment work is first class.

Vintage Omega's are marvellous things.

Paul, that's a stunning looking watch.

Must resist the temptation to look at models from 1958, if they can look that good :)

Thomas Reid
    Nice job. A lovely watch, made at the height of practical watchmaking.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Nice job. A lovely watch, made at the height of practical watchmaking.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Agreed. The work done on the watch is lovely and such results led me to start refinishing watches myself.

The watch, as you say represents something made in a time before ridiculous hype and pricing - a thing to be worn and enjoyed and built to show quality, workmanship and accuracy but, ultimately, to just tell the bloody time...

Master
    Classy watch that Paul... lovely

Craftsman
    That really is lush, well done!

Beautiful and big enough for those of us with larger wrists to wear as well, apparently money can buy you class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk