closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake PC Support Scammers Targeting Over 50s

Fake PC Support Scammers Targeting Over 50s

I've watched this guy's channel for a while, totally shocking. Now these Indian scam call centres are homing in specifically on the most vulnerable people.

Only last week I saved my mum from a similar scam via a cold call on her landline.

I get a call from them once a week, they are supposedly based in Manchester in a place called Swinton!

I played along with their script, at the end the guy exclaims to me that I’ve wasted his time, reminded him that he called me.

The girl last week I asked if her mum was proud of what she was doing? She apologised and then hung up.

After I told them several times that computers are evil and I connect with other people telepathically using infrared rays they somehow lost interest
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I get nothing - my home phone doesn't even ring unless a number is on my 'white list'.

Blog Entries
    Usually say it is a windows problem so i just reply oh i run a mac using linux so FO.
    Last edited by mart broad; 23rd October 2018 at 20:43.

Had this few times - usually a chap who clearly does not speak English as his first language - usually claiming to be Ken, Brian or Peter.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I've usually had a decent service from Talktalk (took them six weeks to fix a speed problem with Openreach, but they did fix it). One feature that would really help the technically vulnerable is their call block thing. Any number that calls that hasn't called in the last 35 days has to identify themselves by voice, or it won't be put through. My telespam has dropped from 6 a day (mostly Indian), sometimes more, to almost but not quite zero. I accepted the calls only because I was curious.

A real pleasure to string them along.

Being sworn at by someone who is very upset, dishonest and incoherent in their 2nd language is a treat to be savoured.

My usual response is, "Why don't you find yourself a proper job instead of bothering people all day with your stupid phone calls? … And, do you sleep at night knowing what you're doing?" Once received the reply,"But I've got a family and I need the money … " Sometimes the caller's phone number is traceable in which case I advise E-Cops.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I just hang up immediately if anyone cold calls me on my personal number. Lets face it how many people are going to get anything decent from a cold calling company regardless of whether they are legit or not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I've usually had a decent service from Talktalk (took them six weeks to fix a speed problem with Openreach, but they did fix it). One feature that would really help the technically vulnerable is their call block thing. Any number that calls that hasn't called in the last 35 days has to identify themselves by voice, or it won't be put through. My telespam has dropped from 6 a day (mostly Indian), sometimes more, to almost but not quite zero. I accepted the calls only because I was curious.
    We had a super persistent company calling us at work to try and sell us gas (btw we don't have a natural gas feed to the building). We tried the polite not interested. Then the not polite get lost (insert swear words of choice). Then simply ignored the calls based upon the caller ID. So they then started changing the caller ID.... very cunning! At one point they set their caller ID to be our own works phone number! When I complained to Ofcom they said there was nothing they could do about it because it's a voip trunk call from outside the UK.

My mother had this but despite knowing nothing about computers she did manage to remember that she uses a Mac...
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    As soon as I hear the magic words “I am calling from Microsoft” I start laughing, strangely they don’t seem to like that!

Master
    I had a call yesterday, apparently my router was/is sending error messages. I kept the woman on the phone for about 10 minutes before I got bored and hung up.

My parents, both in their 80's, were getting about a dozen unsolicited calls a day from various organisations (I use the term very loosely). I did the usual of not allowing connections from withheld ID's but that didn't have much effect. I bought a CPR call blocker, fitted it, and it's reduced the nuisance calls to about 1 a day now. The call blocker has a list of about 5,000 known numbers and ranges that are automatically blocked and you can set further rules like calls from abroad etc to tighten it up even more. Another good thing is if they receive an unsolicited call then they don't have to speak to the caller, just press #2 on the phone's handset and it disconnects the caller and blocks the number automatically. Being polite folks they don't like hanging up on callers as they think they could ring straight back but the #2 auto block alleviates that concern!

It's not foolproof and the ability of scammers with the right equipment to constantly spoof the number they are calling from is difficult to defend against but it's reduced these calls to my parents by over 90% which has to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    A real pleasure to string them along.

Being sworn at by someone who is very upset, dishonest and incoherent in their 2nd language is a treat to be savoured.

This exactly.

My home phone is a non mains thing shut away in the downstairs cupboard and is never answered when it rarely rings.

Used purely as an emergency backup phone in the event that mobile signal fails... unlikely until the zombie apocalypse.

Funny thing is if you don’t want phone use just broadband the price often increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell them that I’m putting a curse on them and their familiies. Had one of them very upset

Works better when you go into graphic details.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    My home phone is a non mains thing shut away in the downstairs cupboard and is never answered when it rarely rings.

Used purely as an emergency backup phone in the event that mobile signal fails... unlikely until the zombie apocalypse.

Funny thing is if you don’t want phone use just broadband the price often increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not a mobile phone person (okay I keep on banging on about it) BUT from what I hear in the office people seem to also now get spam calls to their mobiles, and quite often as well. A day doesn't go past without at least one person in the office getting a bogus sales call.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't seem to get any bogus or spam calls at all. For years I've never answered calls from anybody who isn't on my contact list but these days nobody ever calls me from a number unknown to me.

I have the data permanently turned off my device & doing that seems to have coincided with my ceasing to be disturbed by nuisance calls

Master
    There was an article in the Times a year or so ago that revealed that more young people were scammed than older people. This was mainly down to sheer numbers. Young people are on the phone continuously and always want to react fast, sometimes not thinking it through. Old people tend to be more distrusting and cautious.

Obviously the prime target are old people who have totally lost the plot but they tend to be short tempered and just switch off when annoyed or confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Obviously the prime target are old people who have totally lost the plot but they tend to be short tempered and just switch off when annoyed or confused.
    Although they do sometimes switch back on and rejoin later once they have calmed down and realised it’s not such a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    We had a super persistent company calling us at work to try and sell us gas (btw we don't have a natural gas feed to the building). We tried the polite not interested. Then the not polite get lost (insert swear words of choice). Then simply ignored the calls based upon the caller ID. So they then started changing the caller ID.... very cunning! At one point they set their caller ID to be our own works phone number! When I complained to Ofcom they said there was nothing they could do about it because it's a voip trunk call from outside the UK.
    Since most of my spam calls were from outside of the UK the system I described would have stopped your nuisance caller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Since most of my spam calls were from outside of the UK the system I described would have stopped your nuisance caller.
    Nope... 'cause the caller ID said a UK number. In fact all of the bogus numbers they pretended to be were UK ones. One was a British Gas contact number!

Journeyman
    I get many calls from these scammers, usually in sporadic episodes. My way of dealing with them is to listen to their blether about strange signals, crossed IPA's, giraffes breeding in my router or whatever then when they ask me to go to my computer and to a (scamming) web site, I say I need to switch on my compuetr and ask them to wait a minute or two.

I then put the handset in another room, shut the door and carry on with whatever. It must have cost them packets over the years!