closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for GS Snowflake owners

Question for GS Snowflake owners

I'm trying to achieve the best fit with my Snowflake, but only seem to have half links and whole links, so it's either a bit loose or a bit tight. Should it come with three quarter links or other differently sized links to achieve a good fit? I'm sure my other GS does.

If not is there anything clever I can do, for example do two half links come up bigger than one whole link?

Thanks (no need for anyone to post about how much better Rolex is with its easy glide link system thing).

Journeyman
    Hi,

Just halves and wholes on mine.

Regards,
    Duncan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Hi,

Just halves and wholes on mine.

Regards,
    Duncan

Thanks for checking. I wonder if two halves make more than a whole...!

Two halves do indeed make more than one whole on both my titanium and steel GS five link bracelets. This is because the halves are not actually halves, but a bit more (9mm standard link vs 6.5mm 'half' link)
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 22nd October 2018 at 18:41.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Thanks for checking. I wonder if two halves make more than a whole...!
    It may sound silly, but I have seen watches where two ‘halves’ can be more or less than a whole!
    This could be your solution

Hm. OK maybe I need to try replacing two whole links with three halves, to hopefully get to about 1.75!

Journeyman
    Might as well try if you have them?

Might as well try if you have them?

Yup just means another trip down to the Seiko Boutique as I don't want to mess up the titanium links or lose a pin or collar...

Hm. OK maybe I need to try replacing two whole links with three halves, to hopefully get to about 1.75!
    I replaced a 'whole' with 'two halves' and got an absolutely perfect fit, so definitely worth a try.

Journeyman
    Yup just means another trip down to the Seiko Boutique as I don't want to mess up the titanium links or lose a pin or collar...
    Love GS but I sometimes wished they used screws, and had an adjustable clasp (or at least comfort half link) and a tapered bracelet.

Love GS but I sometimes wished they used screws
    As a Snowflake owner myself, I agree screws could be more convenient but I've read more than once, the reason the bracelet is pins and collars is the screws going directly into the titanium is not seen as the best idea, apparently ??

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    As a Snowflake owner myself, I agree screws could be more convenient but I've read more than once, the reason the bracelet is pins and collars is the screws going directly into the titanium is not seen as the best idea, apparently ??
    I figured they’d be a reason but I think they do this on all models not just titanium? My guess was that pins are less likely to unpin themselves than a screw would be to unscrew itself. But that’s just a guess.

I figured they’d be a reason but I think they do this on all models not just titanium? My guess was that pins are less likely to unpin themselves than a screw would be to unscrew itself. But that’s just a guess.

Actually not quite so, my other GS's in stainless are screwed but my other Ti one is pins/collars

Yup apparently. My stainless steel one has screws.

Journeyman
    Yup apparently. My stainless steel one has screws.
    Ok sorry, I may have remembered that wrong. Will double check on the chrono and Peacock tomorrow.

Master
    My HiBeat also has screws.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    My HiBeat also has screws.
    Which model ?? They do both Ti and SS.

Master
    I'll look at buying a GS again when they fit a micro adjustable clasp (ideally like the IWC one). Whilst the size of the smaller links does enable some fine tuning a clasp with adjustment on the fly would be so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'll look at buying a GS again when they fit a micro adjustable clasp (ideally like the IWC one). Whilst the size of the smaller links does enable some fine tuning a clasp with adjustment on the fly would be so much better.
    My other GS has a perfect fit for me, more so than a glide lock that I just find myself adjusting the whole time plus the clasp itself is more bulky and less forgiving a fit on the underside of the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Pretty sure I saw mention of an adjustable clasp for a GS diver recently. Hopefully it’s on the way for the whole range.

Question for GS Snowflake owners

Here it is... not GS though... doh!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo0w819n...=1whgg0bt4xtsb

Quite correct - likely to cause galling.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I replaced a 'whole' with 'two halves' and got an absolutely perfect fit, so definitely worth a try.
    Aha good to know. I will try the same as a whole is too tight and a whole and a half is too loose, so should be perfect. Thanks.

Master
    I've always felt that Grand Seiko watches respond very well to the bracelet being replaced by a good leather strap. More so than most other brands. Don't know why, but none of my GS's have ever survived with the bracelet in place.
    And you no longer get these issues about 'fit'.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I've always felt that Grand Seiko watches respond very well to the bracelet being replaced by a good leather strap. More so than most other brands. Don't know why, but none of my GS's have ever survived with the bracelet in place.
    No good if you prefer a bracelet to a strap though is it ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Quite correct - likely to cause galling.
    Interested as to why - Breitling use screws on Ti bracelets...

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Some look good I agree, but I wouldn't say those like the Snowflake and the 9s mechanical as the lugs are quite long, so it would leave an unsightly gap between them. I actually have a GS black leather strap and deployant for my sbgr053 but have never tried it, mainly as I find the bracelet so comfortable!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Here it is... not GS though... doh
    Could well be tempted when it's across the range. I appreciate the slim fit logic but still want the adjustment. No idea why it's taken so long though....

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Interested as to why - Breitling use screws on Ti bracelets...
    I'm not all up on the metallurgical side of this, just aware that some materials do not behave well together when certain forces are applied and this results in galling.

How each material has been treated (e.g. coated, anodised, heat treated etc.) will impact how they interact. I'm more familiar with this in terms of folding knives, where you have titanium lock bars interfacing with hardened steel, and different manufacturers do different things to try and reduce interface issues such as by hardening the surface of the titanium where it contacts the steel. Some even insert a hardened steel face into the titanium so the blade only contacts that rather than the titanium.

So Breitling may have treated the materials and designed how they physically contact one another in such a way as to minimise the issues that can arise. Or maybe they have steel inserts where the screws thread into?
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 23rd October 2018 at 19:23.

Love GS but I sometimes wished they used screws, and had an adjustable clasp (or at least comfort half link) and a tapered bracelet.

I agree... I know the reasons but dislike pins and collars on a watch of this quality. That said, I have a Blancpain where the main bracelet to case is exactly that despite screws everwhere else so probably no biggie. Snowflake is a lovely thing however...

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    I agree... I know the reasons but dislike pins and collars on a watch of this quality. That said, I have a Blancpain where the main bracelet to case is exactly that despite screws everwhere else so probably no biggie. Snowflake is a lovely thing however...
    The pins and collars setup is equally as good as screws so what is it you dislike about it ?

The pins and collars setup is equally as good as screws so what is it you dislike about it ?
    The fact (on regular Seiko) have had them slacken off and fail. Prefer the obvious integrity of screws.

The fact (on regular Seiko) have had them slacken off and fail. Prefer the obvious integrity of screws.
    I'm fairly sure I've heard tell that screws fail too.

I'm fairly sure I've heard tell that screws fail too.
    You asked what I dislike; I answered. Am I wrong about what I dislike somehow?

You asked what I dislike; I answered. Am I wrong about what I dislike somehow?
    Not at all, this is a discussion forum. I offered an alternative answer to yours that's all.

As an update to this finally got round to replacing a whole link and a half link with two half links. This comes to something like 1.25 and is perfect, very pleased and really comfortable in titanium.

Interestingly the beads of rice bracelet apparently has micro adjustment within each link which is clever!