closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incomming ( Classic Car content)

Master
    Blog Entries

Incomming ( Classic Car content)

Been browsing for a while now and was looking at buying a 997 but decided to dip my toe back into the classic market. We had loads of fun with our MG Midget and Spitfire. This car is a total strip down restoration with the chassis and tub being shot blasted and zinc coated. All the work apart from the Engine gearbox and clutch been lovingly carried out by the guy I have bought it off. I used to lust after the TR6 when I was 17 now I am going to own one, should pick it up next week when I have made room in the garage.

Thanks for looking Paul
    Last edited by hilly10; 22nd October 2018 at 21:40.

Blog Entries
    Just ask / PM if you need advise

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Just ask / PM if you need advise

Many thanks, and I will

Looks very nice. Enjoy it

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

That's lovely.
    It's yellow...really nice...but be ready for the 'custard tart' jokes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not overly a Yellow car fan but there are certain cars that just do it, the TR6 and the Spitfire are it.

Mimosa yellow iirc.
    Always looked good, I think
    Had a GT6 that colour

Oh that's nice. There is nothing like a drop top classic roadster in tip top condition
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

That does look fantastic, well done.

That is lovely

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Mimosa yellow iirc.
    Always looked good, I think
    Had a GT6 that colour

Yes the GT6 was another top looker in Mimosa

Nice!

Had a 1969 CP series in signal red. Wife made me chop in back in 2004 for a new kitchen, bathroom and heating system.

I kept my wife but still miss the car.

Looks like yours is a CR if it’s on an N plate. Is it still running the Lucas PI?

Have fun :)

Master
    Very nice. And far more interesting than a 997.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Love that!!

Good on you mate......

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Not overly a Yellow car fan but there are certain cars that just do it, the TR6 and the Spitfire are it.
    ....and a Dolomite Sprint!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Nice!

Had a 1969 CP series in signal red. Wife made me chop in back in 2004 for a new kitchen, bathroom and heating system.

I kept my wife but still miss the car.

Looks like yours is a CR if it’s on an N plate. Is it still running the Lucas PI?

Have fun :)
    Yes still running the Lucas. It sounds bloody great with the straight through exhaust

Yes still running the Lucas. It sounds bloody great with the straight through exhaust
    Ah, forgot how nice they sound!

Enjoy!

Lovely car...
    Never made it to a TR6, and good ones are strong money.
    I did have a mk2 red gt6. I had a 2.5 engine from a 2500 saloon,
    which was running a set of triple dellorto’s 🔥

Craftsman
    Beautiful. My dad used to have a 2000 estate when I was a kid. I've had a spitfire, a midget and a...ahem...tr7

Beautiful acquisition - - congratulations!

I considered one when the TR6 was first released in the U.S. I loved everything about it except the driver comfort. I'm 6'0" and 175 pounds (now and then) but I felt like I was squeezed into a sardine can! As I recall, the driver's seat was positioned so close to the door that my shoulder was squished very uncomfortably. Perhaps this was only an issue with the export LHD models, or maybe they made a mid-model year change.

I would have LOVED to have owned a new TR6 back then!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Beautiful acquisition - - congratulations!

I considered one when the TR6 was first released in the U.S. I loved everything about it except the driver comfort. I'm 6'0" and 175 pounds (now and then) but I felt like I was squeezed into a sardine can! As I recall, the driver's seat was positioned so close to the door that my shoulder was squished very uncomfortably. Perhaps this was only an issue with the export LHD models, or maybe they made a mid-model year change.

I would have LOVED to have owned a new TR6 back then!
    Sorry dude, but that's not how you drive classic British roadsters
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Sorry dude, but that's not how you drive classic British roadsters
    ... or the Defender...

I am on my phone now in the middle of France. I’ll write a more detailed posting about the 6 when I am back and behind my MacBook

Craftsman
    Nice. Had a couple over the years and loved em. What's with the wheels and the high back seats? Not seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Nice. Had a couple over the years and loved em. What's with the wheels and the high back seats? Not seen that before.
    MX5 seats?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went to view a TR6 with a view to buying in the late '70's. Ended up buying a Lotus Elan S2 instead. I loved the Lotus but still hanker after a TR6 - wish I could find one as nice as yours - amazing!

Looks to be in great condition, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
    I had a 6 for about 10 years, selling it and getting a Stag in 2012 as Mrs R didn’t like it much, and now have a 7 in the garage too (which is a far inferior car in many ways. Actually, all ways).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... or the Defender...

I am on my phone now in the middle of France. I’ll write a more detailed posting about the 6 when I am back and behind my MacBook

Looking forward to it

Blog Entries

Incomming ( Classic Car content)

So back home from the Europa Cup Laser in Roses, Catalonia (don't dare to write 'Spain' anymore - but that's another story).

Perhaps the frequent visitors here remember the entrance of a mimosa yellow (yes!) TR6 with body damage. The guys in the shop dismantled the car and started the same process with the car as is done with yours.

In short: The most important part of restoring a TR6 is checking, repairing and strengthening the part of the chassis that's somehow connected to the rear suspension. Most chassis crack at the top. The IRS, the power of the drivetrain and Standard Triumph's build-quality during the 70s was not a guarantee of endless success and happiness...

wwwi m

The companies to turn to in the UK for upgrading these parts are http://www.racetorations.co.uk and https://www.revingtontr.com But I am sure that the guy who's doing the work, knows both!

Some things to consider:

• Try to re-use parts. These fit better than aftermarket junk from certain suppliers...
    • Engine: keep it standard as it is. No use of enlarging the cylinders etc. The engine is potent enough to propel this car forward!
    • Injection: Bosch stuff is mostly better than Lucas
    • Engine restoration: have this done as late as possible in the restoration. Often, the work on the body takes more time and it's not good to have an engine unused for a long period.
    • Suspension: there are tons of upgrades, especially the springs, ride height and bushes. Do your homework before you fork out a lot of money. Expensive doesn't not always means that it's what you like or are hoping for, handling-wise.

A special word about the gearbox. A quick look at the pic shows that there's no OD; at least I don't see the switch on top of the gear lever' knob! For modern day driving I would strongly suggest a g'box with overdrive. BUT(!!!) I don't recommend a J-Type or A-Type Laycock De Normanville box. Ultimately, they're complicated and not trouble-free, whatever users may tell you. Add to that the fact that there are lesser people able to repair these boxes. I would strongly recommend a 5-Speed conversion with a Toyota box! Bomb-proof off course. I think that Racetorations does a conversion-set. If you have connections in the USA you could try to lay your hands on a box by HVDA. Tons of info on that on the web.

For now enough info I think?

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 23rd October 2018 at 20:28.

Sorry Menno

Have to disagree about the overdrive. Although a moot point as this car is late enough to have the J-type, the A-type is a wonderful addition and effectively gives you a 7 speed transmission as it can be used in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.

I came to my TR6 from an MG BGT V8 that had a 5 speed conversion (although it was the truck-like LT77) and having the TR 4 speed box + overdrive in 3/4 gears was such a revelation.

By far my favourite transmission of all my classics.

Blog Entries
    My TR has an OD as well, including the 3/4 OD. In fact, after some fiddling also on 2nd. But I regret the fact that I didn’t choose the Toyota box when I did my car.

In general (and I see a lot of those boxes on the workbench... ) The connectors on top fail on older boxes, the solenoid has a mind of its own, the filters clough, sometimes the wrong oil is used, the relays collaps and/or a DPO has engaged reverse with the OD 'on' and tried to reverse out of his garage... One almighty 'clunk' noise is the end of the OD...

The Toyota-box is, well simply... Toyota.
    Last edited by thieuster; 23rd October 2018 at 20:42.

Grand Master
    I`m a former TR6 owner, bought mine in 2000 and sold it in 2010. The car had been totally rebuilt (properly) in the mid-90s and I never had any issues with the body or chassis. Mechanically, I ended up going through the suspension again due to aftermarket rubber parts deteriorating, which is annoying, and I did work on the engine plus lots of other bits and pieces.

Much as I enjoyed mine, I think the design has several flaws. Menno's mentioned the chassis issues and the strengthening that needs doing, and the fuel injection system's frailties are well-documented. I totally rebuilt the PI system on mine, using a Bosch pump conversion, and I never had problems. One thing I`d advise against is fitting a stainless steel tubular exhaust manifold; I fitted (supposedly) the best on the market and it caused big problems with heat build-up under the bonnet; park the car for 20 minutes and it wouldn't restart easily. It also idled badly in traffic on a warm day. In the end I sold the manifiold and exhaust, refitting the standard pattern stainless exhaust and cast iron manifold, the car lost a little power but drove a whole lot smoother at low engine speeds.

As for the overdrive debate, mine was a CP car with overdrive on 2nd. Using overdrive 2nd certainly helped acceleration but my big fear was if the overdrive disengaged when the engine was nearing max revs...........you can imagine what this might do to the engine! My car also had a 3.7 ratio diff (standard is 3.45) so the acceleration was enhanced somewhat. One golden rule with these cars is to stick with the standard camshaft, trying to change causes all manner of issues with the PI system and is best avoided. However, I had the head modified and gas flowed, my car was putting out around 123bhhp at the wheels which equates to a genuine 145-150bhp at the flywheel .....suffice to say the car drove nicely!

Much as I liked my TR6 I struggled to get along with the poor ride and the chassis flexing on rough roads. West Yorkshire has some poor roads and the TR didn`t appreciate them. On smooth roads the car was fine, but on the roads where I live it wasn`t. My current MGB is a lot better in this respect, it isn`t great on bumpy roads but it's a whole lot better than the TR. The MG's a much nicer car in many respects, it's significantly lighter and handles better, but even with an uprated engine it lags behind the TR in the power stakes.

In hindsight I wish I`d kept the TR6, I was fortunate to buy a good one but even then I ended up doing plenty of spanner work. Back in the 70s I lusted after one and I finally bought one in later years, I`m really glad I did that.

One word of warning to the OP: if you drive the car in wet weather treat corners and roundabouts with respect!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m a former TR6 owner, bought mine in 2000 and sold it in 2010. The car had been totally rebuilt (properly) in the mid-90s and I never had any issues with the body or chassis. Mechanically, I ended up going through the suspension again due to aftermarket rubber parts deteriorating, which is annoying, and I did work on the engine plus lots of other bits and pieces.

Much as I enjoyed mine, I think the design has several flaws. Menno's mentioned the chassis issues and the strengthening that needs doing, and the fuel injection system's frailties are well-documented. I totally rebuilt the PI system on mine, using a Bosch pump conversion, and I never had problems. One thing I`d advise against is fitting a stainless steel tubular exhaust manifold; I fitted (supposedly) the best on the market and it caused big problems with heat build-up under the bonnet; park the car for 20 minutes and it wouldn't restart easily. It also idled badly in traffic on a warm day. In the end I sold the manifiold and exhaust, refitting the standard pattern stainless exhaust and cast iron manifold, the car lost a little power but drove a whole lot smoother at low engine speeds.

As for the overdrive debate, mine was a CP car with overdrive on 2nd. Using overdrive 2nd certainly helped acceleration but my big fear was if the overdrive disengaged when the engine was nearing max revs...........you can imagine what this might do to the engine! My car also had a 3.7 ratio diff (standard is 3.45) so the acceleration was enhanced somewhat. One golden rule with these cars is to stick with the standard camshaft, trying to change causes all manner of issues with the PI system and is best avoided. However, I had the head modified and gas flowed, my car was putting out around 123bhhp at the wheels which equates to a genuine 145-150bhp at the flywheel .....suffice to say the car drove nicely!

Much as I liked my TR6 I struggled to get along with the poor ride and the chassis flexing on rough roads. West Yorkshire has some poor roads and the TR didn`t appreciate them. On smooth roads the car was fine, but on the roads where I live it wasn`t. My current MGB is a lot better in this respect, it isn`t great on bumpy roads but it's a whole lot better than the TR. The MG's a much nicer car in many respects, it's significantly lighter and handles better, but even with an uprated engine it lags behind the TR in the power stakes.

In hindsight I wish I`d kept the TR6, I was fortunate to buy a good one but even then I ended up doing plenty of spanner work. Back in the 70s I lusted after one and I finally bought one in later years, I`m really glad I did that.

One word of warning to the OP: if you drive the car in wet weather treat corners and roundabouts with respect!

Paul
    Spot on comment Paul! I forgot about to tell about the camshaft. Thanks for that. I have sent Paul a ton of pics using WeTransfer about the car that's currently in the workshop overhere.

My son's first sailing coach Peter has restored a few TRs in his time and his last gem is a TR5 with the #10 chassis number. The TR5 has the same engine as the TR6. That TR5 is the first ever LHD car built and on display at the London Motorshow back in the 60s. That car had - and still has!!!- the first fuel pump set up: the pump under the bonnet... Not very succesful and ST rebuilt all cars apart for this very specimen. Peter has restored the car and has won tons of prizes with the result. However, driving the car with this set-up in modern traffic is simply hell!

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Menno

My car has the overdrive 2nd 3rd and 4th

Master
    Blog Entries
    The guy who did the car is an old school engineer and is a bit of a perfectionist. I will have an absolute ton of info on all the work done. We went through the process of how he had the chassis and tub shot blasted and Zinc dipped. The shut lines are first class and he explained how much work he had to do the get them like that.

The car is one of the best I have seen, it’s like looking at something straight off the production line. Going to see how I get on with the brakes as they are standard, they do not stop like what we are used to in our modern cars. Could do with a little advice when the time comes on the best pads vented disc’s etc

Paul

Grand Master
    The guy who did the car is an old school engineer and is a bit of a perfectionist. I will have an absolute ton of info on all the work done. We went through the process of how he had the chassis and tub shot blasted and Zinc dipped. The shut lines are first class and he explained how much work he had to do the get them like that.

The car is one of the best I have seen, it’s like looking at something straight off the production line. Going to see how I get on with the brakes as they are standard, they do not stop like what we are used to in our modern cars. Could do with a little advice when the time comes on the best pads vented disc’s etc

Paul
    I think you’ll find the brakes work OK, they just have a much harder feel than modern cars. EBC greenstuff pads help a little, but unless you spend lots of money uprating them, the brakes will never feel great by modern standards. I checked mine to confirm the servo was working.....and it was!

One thing that’s worth checking is the wheel alignment. All the suspension angles are adjustable but this can get very involved if the rear needs adjustment. I spent a while sorting mine out and it was worth doing. all the data’s available in the Triumph workshop manual, reprints are available from the TR Register.

The best TR specialist I dealt with was Gary Bates at TRGB. Revingtons are good too. As for Racetorations, I had a bad experience with a camshaft they sold me and that put me right off dealing with them. That was a long time ago and maybe they’ve changed.......but I have a long memory!

Mimosa Yellow is such a cool 70s colour, takes me back a few years!

Blog Entries
    Not really a fan of Bates here... Sold me a J-type g/box & OD as being 'restored', well that simply wasn't the case after looking inside before we installed the 'box. Luckily, we were able to rectify things before the whole kit and caboodle were dropped in. Their high torque starters and four-pot water pumps are good. My experience with Neil Revington is A+, but he should be with those price tags!

Menno