Introduction

The first Tudor Blackbay model was released 2012. Since then, Tudor has upgraded the model from a modified ETA movement to an in house movement with 70 hrs power reserve and free sprung silicon balance spring.

The Blackbay 58, aka BB58, was introduced 2018 and has a new smaller in house movement (MT5402) with the same basic features as the previous in house movement but with an entirely new smaller case. The previous 41mm x 15mm case is now replaced with a slimmer 39mm x 12mm case. The band width has also been reduced from 22mm to 20mm. The BB58 has some resemblance to previous 5-ref Rolex Submariners and the Tudor Submariner 79090 case but is a homage to the Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner 7924 from 1958.

Specifications

Diameter: 39mm
Thickness: ~12mm
Vertical measurement (lug2lug): 47.5mm
Bracelet: 20/16mm

Movement (measured in timegrapher)
Dial up: +3
Dial down: +5
Crown up: +6
Crown down: +-0
12 o clock down: +6
Average on the wrist: +6 secs/day.

Case

As mentioned previously, the case has been slimmed 2mm in width and 3mm in thickness. The thinner lugs make a big difference to the previous BB cases and it’s easy to see how the 4/5-ref Rolex fans will like the new BB58 case.

The top of the lugs are brushed and there is a discrete high gloss chamfer resembling the chargers on the old 4-red Submariners. The finish on the lugs is flawless, the brushed surfaces are even and the chamfer is razor sharp.

The brushed surface isn’t vertical, it’s circular when viewed from above. This makes the already thin lugs appear even thinner and makes them appear to slant in towards the bracelet. This optical phenomenon is apparent when the watch case is exposed to light and the reflections creates a sad face-like reflection on the lugs closest to the observer. I really don’t like this type of finish but it is in line with the older 4- and 5ref Submariners.

Case-back

The coin edged case-back has a brushed finish very much in line with the Submariner heritage. The lugs are shaped towards the wrist to ensure a snug fit against the wrist when worn.

Bezel

The bezel is thin and the bezel inlay is most likely made of aluminum just like on the old Submariners. The choice of material is of course a way to keep the price and size down but it doesn’t bother me at all, I like it. The color of the numerals makes for a nice coherent look.

The lume-pip border and lume matches the dial and hands, a first time for the Blackbay series. The pip is still the “sunken in” style which I find odd since lint and dirt gets stuck there.

Crystal

The sapphire-crystal is domed and I take for granted that it has anti reflective coating on the inside. The anti-reflex effects are not Rolex-annoying but aren’t exactly good either.

Crown

Previous BlackBay crowns have been etched and filled with black “paint” which resulted in paint coming loose on some watches of the previous models. The new relief crown rose logo is more in line with the Submariner history, is most likely better when it comes to durability and is more aesthetically pleasing.

The crown tube has also been shortened compared to previous lack at models which I consider an improvement. When handling the watch I consider it better quality-wise than previous BB-models but not on the Rolex level.

Bracelet

The new bracelet tapers from 20mm to 16mm and the clasp has a long folding clasp shaped like the Tudor shield. There are three micro adjustments holes but there is of course no smart glide-lock solution.

The bracelet is a high quality bracelet and there is nothing to complain about when it comes to finish, fit or function. Its not on the Rolex level when it comes to the screws but that’s not surprising.

To give the Tudor bracelet some dazzle, it’s been designed to look like an old river bracelet. This is purely a visual feature and has nothing to do with the functions of the bracelet, the links are solid, not folded. It looks silly and is silly, whoever let this design decision through needs to be reprimanded.

Dial and hands

The dial has a matte finish that is reflective when exposed to direct sunlight. I usually like this type of dial but I prefer matte dials paired with reflective indices or vice-versa. The BB58 dial reflects sporadic white spots which I don’t like.

The applied indices have the same quality finish as the Rolex dials, meaning good but not world class. The edges of the indices are very thin, glossy and dull, not sharp. The reflections from the indices are non distinctive and few.

The hands are flat and polished to a high gloss.

On the wrist

The 39mm x 12mm case sits small and discreet on my 18cm wrist. There is nothing negative to note about how the watch sits on the wrist. The bracelet tapers nicely and the shape of the lugs ensures a close fit. The BB58 sits a lot nicer on the wrist than the regular BB-models.

Conclusion

Tudor has a great opportunity now when the Rolex steel models are ridiculously expensive and hard to come by. For around half the price of a Submariner, the Tudor Blackbay 58 seems like somewhat of a bargain. Tudor has corrected most of the issues I’ve had with the previous BB models, like the too long crown tube, the mismatching lume-pip, and the too blocky case.

The big question is of course “would you consider buying a BB58?” - Yes, absolutely. The BB58 is a great watch and especially at this price point. There are however a few things holding me back, mainly the bracelet and how the lugs are brushed. If it were not for these two things, I would probably have been an owner already even if it’s a little small for my personal taste.