closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old G10 lume

Master

Old G10 lume

Excuse the slightly noob question but if I were to buy one of the plethora of "ex issue" CWC G10s that are out there, would I expect the tritium lume to work or would it have faded over time?

I only use the inverted commas as I find it difficult to believe any self respecting QM would ever issue something as shiney as a watch from their stores.

Sent from my SGP311 using TZ-UK mobile app

Tritium has a half life of ~12 years.

Seems to be that the expected and reported useable life of the lume is around 10 years.

I have CWC G10s from 1985 and 2006. The lume isn’t stellar, but there’s definitely some residual lume there, which I reckon is pretty good considering their age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 1983 CWC and a 1984 Precista, the lume on both isn't usable through the night.
    F.T.F.A.

The lume plots are small so the lux level was never great.
    I have a 76 dated watch that is totally dead as you would expect, however my 06 Watch is still usable at night if a little dim. I have a 08 diver which is still pretty bright but the plots are a lot larger.
    The later the issue date the brighter the lume will be, but if T dialed it will die at some point in the future.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I have a 1983 CWC and a 1984 Precista, the lume on both isn't usable through the night.
    Any pics of the poor lume during the night ?

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Any pics of the poor lume during the night ?

F.T.F.A.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    i see what you mean .

Master
    Thank you for your responses, they are as I expected. I shall put my purchase of one of these on the back burner (particularly as I have just bought something else ).

Craftsman
    Mine from 2006 is usable with night adjusted eyes. It’s not as bright as my Orange Monster initially on lights out, but after several hours it’s on par I would say

Dave

Edited as I read the end of the nsn (-99) instead of the issue date (/06)
    Last edited by Dave S; 23rd October 2018 at 17:51. Reason: Stupid person can’t read...

I bought a ‘new’ cwc 1970s chrono reissue in 2013 from silvermans, just before the pricing went crazy. It was made in 2003 according to the caseback, so i guess more like NOS but ive worn it pretty much every day since, no matter what ive got on the other wrist. (I have job related reasons for wearing two watches at once, and i hate GMTs so hooray)

The tritium lume has always been not super visible compared to a Seiko or newer cwc, but had great longevity. Even past its initial half life, its one of the most visible long into the night of the watches i wear at work. Im a roadie. Long hours, in the p***ing cold and rain,then a flight to somewhere hot and sunny the next day, but all the critical stuff happens in pitch blackness... My seiko turtle reissue is good, but doesnt have the staying power.

Ive beat that thing into the ground over the last 5 years, still keeping time to within a second a day. its a great tool watch, and the lume still works. Shame they dont make em any more.

Cheers!
    Rich
    Last edited by Synthpunk; 24th October 2018 at 16:51. Reason: Added a pic.

Master
    Thanks Rich, that's good to know. Most of the old G10s I have been looking at are mid 90's so probably not as bright as yours but I'll bear that in mind if I find something of a similar age.

Will

My last remaining G10 is a 2006, which i think might be the last year of general issue? Anyways- lume still works, but because the hands are much smaller than the chrono its not as bright, as the amount of tritium paint is correspondingly less. Excellent watch though. Mine did a tour in iraq with its previous owner and a tour with Melanie C from the spice girls with me... ;c)

I gave all the others ive had away, they make good presents.

Found a lume action shot. Mel C in Linz in Austria.

Cheers!
    Rich

Apprentice
    What phone did you take a picture of?