closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Want to buy a seamaster 2254.50 ...where have they all gone?

Want to buy a seamaster 2254.50 ...where have they all gone?

Surely someone has one tucked away ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sceneshifter View Post
    Surely someone has one tucked away ?
    I've got one but i'm not selling it to you :)

I’ve got one too but it’s a regular wearer. They seem to go in clusters on SC none for a bit then 2 or 3 in a month. There was one on SC within the last few weeks I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Easy (although not the most economic solution) is Watchfinder. I bought mine a while back from them and received an exemplary service although i paid £1750 for a 2254.50 with box but no papers. It's mint and i love it, serviced, well regulated, case immaculate and un-polished but just with the Omega chronometer card but not the warranty card (clearly grey market at some point).

Still the same watch though and i can deal with lack of papers on a 1700 quid watch.

Prices are going north though, papers or not. Crazy to think these were £1390 new.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 22nd October 2018 at 10:06.

Craftsman
    I'm sure you'll get one though there should be plenty around.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/...22/item/118727
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 22nd October 2018 at 07:59.

I have one tucked away, full set with box and papers. Fantastic thing, going no where at present.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Easy (although not the most economic solution) is Watchfinder. I bought mine a while back from them and received an exemplary service although i paid £1750 for a 2254.50 with box but no papers. It's mint and i love it, serviced, well regulated, case immaculate and un-polished but just with the Omega chronometer card but not the warranty card (clearly grey market).

Still the same watch though i can deal with lack of papers on a 1700 quid watch.

Prices are going north though, papers or not. Crazy to think these were £1390 new.
    My 2254 came from Watchfinder, back in 2008 when they only had 1 shop. I paid £895 for it as a 1 year old, box & papers. As you say, prices are heading North. I love the 2254 & would never sell it, it was bought with an inheritance & was my first "serious" watch. Good luck to the OP in the search, you won't regret it. It looks good with everything. Mine is currently on the black Omega NATO that came with the Speedy & it really looks good on it.
    Last edited by Speedy2254; 22nd October 2018 at 09:36. Reason: Fat finger syndrome

The first 'expensive' watch I bought. New from Pykes on a VAT free special. Price was around £800. Only disappointment was the lack of micro adjustment of the bracelet. Have been wearing it on the OEM rubber strap for some years now. Still the best looking modern incarnation of the seamaster in my humble opinion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    My 2254 came from Watchfinder, back in 2008 when they only had 1 shop. I paid £895 for it as a 1 year old, box & papers. As you say, prices are heading North. I love the 2254 & would never sell it, it was bought with an inheritance & was my first "serious" watch. Good luck to the OP in the search, you won't regret it. It looks good with everything. Mine is currently on the black Omega NATO that came with the Speedy & it really looks good on it.
    That was a cracking buy! Nice thing to do with inheritance as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    The first 'expensive' watch I bought. New from Pykes on a VAT free special. Price was around £800. Only disappointment was the lack of micro adjustment of the bracelet. Have been wearing it on the OEM rubber strap for some years now. Still the best looking modern incarnation of the seamaster in my humble opinion.
    I mentioned on another thread recently i'm planning to fit the micro-adjustable clasp soon (or at least when i get payed as it will be around £300). It started as a rant as i was really struggling to get Omega to sell me the parts but i've since sourced a place that sells them. Once i get it done i'll report back with photos if it's of any interest.

I mentioned on another thread recently i'm planning to fit the micro-adjustable clasp soon (or at least when i get payed as it will be around £300). It started as a rant as i was really struggling to get Omega to sell me the parts but i've since sourced a place that sells them. Once i get it done i'll report back with photos if it's of any interest.

Keep me posted, sounds interesting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Keep me posted, sounds interesting.
    Shall do.

It's a popular mod that i picked up from WUS mainly. Some do it to Speedy's as well as it's basically the same bracelet (1610/930). Photo below showing someone that's done it.

Master
    That was a cracking buy! Nice thing to do with inheritance as well.
    My thoughts exactly. My Gran was Scots & would have approved of the quality and practicality of the 2254.

Master
    There was one for sale at the Midlands Watch Fair yesterday with B&P. Asking price was a hefty £1950.

Master
    I'm a proud owner of one too, my only advice would be to make sure the bezel is in good nick before you buy as they're quite expensive to replace...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I'm a proud owner of one too, my only advice would be to make sure the bezel is in good nick before you buy as they're quite expensive to replace...
    That is an excellent point. My understanding is you can't buy inserts and you have to replace the whole bezel as one part, about £300.

There's one in my local jewelers been in the window about a year?https://krafftjewellers.com/ I think he had both versions quarz and auto. I think he has a mid size for about £1,600?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    There's one in my local jewelers been in the window about a year?https://krafftjewellers.com/ I think he had both versions quarz and auto. I think he has a mid size for about £1,600?
    The full size is a 2264.50 quartz as it says Cal. 1538 on the service receipt. The other is a mid-size 2252.50 auto with the same Omega 1120 / ETA 2892-A2 movement as it's bigger brother.

Both probably priced about right (ish), especially to be fair from a jeweller with big overheads etc. And both look to be in good nick with lots of history. In many respects there's nothing wrong with quartz or mid-size but the demand will always be for the 2254.50.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 22nd October 2018 at 18:57.

Craftsman
    My thoughts exactly. My Gran was Scots & would have approved of the quality and practicality of the 2254.
    A nice thing to remember her by mate.

As I mentioned in another thread I got mine from a pawn shop for £990 earlier this year, it’s a perfect watch for me and in certain light has a fantastic wave dial, it’s a keeper and going nowhere..

Master
    A nice thing to remember her by mate.
    Yes indeed. She's been gone 11 years, she would have been 99 this year. Her Omega automatic is still going, my sister is wearing it now & the one my mum got on her 21st is marked for my daughter. My wife wears a 28mm Aqua Terra. We're definitely an Omegan family!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    There was one for sale at the Midlands Watch Fair yesterday with B&P. Asking price was a hefty £1950.
    I saw that too but that seller routinely gouges on prices. He is always 10-20% above everyone else, god knows why he is in effect a market trader based in the Rag Market. Perhaps it is a haggle margin designed to trick the unwary.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I saw that too but that seller routinely gouges on prices. He is always 10-20% above everyone else, god knows why he is in effect a market trader based in the Rag Market. Perhaps it is a haggle margin designed to trick the unwary.
    I've seen 2254s on the Internet at £2400 to £2500, £1950 seems almost reasonable. Mind you, it's a lot more than the £895 I paid for mine 10 years ago. I bought it because I liked it but it looks like it was a good investment...

Craftsman
    Yes indeed. She's been gone 11 years, she would have been 99 this year. Her Omega automatic is still going, my sister is wearing it now & the one my mum got on her 21st is marked for my daughter. My wife wears a 28mm Aqua Terra. We're definitely an Omegan family!
    Same here but for slightly different reasons as my dad loved his Omega (he was more of a clock collector but swore by them as a watch brand) but he died very suddenly in 2004. My brother had it in the end and i think it's a vintage gold Seamaster from memory, but i didn't mind as it's not really my style and i probably wouldn't wear it if i'm honest. He's not really into watches but he does look after it and wear it daily as he works in a suit, otherwise i'd have it. My dad bought my mum an Omega De Ville for her birthday which is very special to her and she wears it every day.

So yes we're also an Omega family, and i wish your's well too !

Anyway back on topic :)
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 23rd October 2018 at 18:52.

Grand Master
    That is an excellent point. My understanding is you can't buy inserts and you have to replace the whole bezel as one part, about £300.
    Also check the bezel for evidence of poor refinishing. All edges should be sharp, not rounded. A good bezel will have no scratches or damage to the insert, and the finish on the bezel should be sharp and crisp.

It seems odd that Omega never supplied the inserts separately. Separating the insert from the bezel isn’t difficult, I’ve done it many times whilst refinishing these models, and a new insert would freshen up the appearance of a scruffy example.

Another area of concern is the condition of the bracelet. Despite the rugged appearance the bracelets are quite weak, the pins wear out and eventually the bracelet ends up as scrap. Replacements aren’t cheap, I think they’re between £400 and £500 thesedays.

A tired example of this watch can be a moneypit........be careful out there!

Craftsman
    I've seen 2254s on the Internet at £2400 to £2500, £1950 seems almost reasonable. Mind you, it's a lot more than the £895 I paid for mine 10 years ago. I bought it because I liked it but it looks like it was a good investment...
    I agree i think £2500 is a bit 'toppy' for one of these at the moment. Around those figures in a few years perhaps.

Loads of people wonder why Omega don't just re-release it. Master co-axial movement, adjustable clasp, screwed links, ceramic bezel and a £4K price tag. Seems like a no-brainer and people would be queuing up to buy it, i know i would.

Even if they did that i still don't think it would dent the prices of the old one's, if anything they would likely go up.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 24th October 2018 at 18:13.

Try CashConverters

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Another area of concern is the condition of the bracelet. Despite the rugged appearance the bracelets are quite weak, the pins wear out and eventually the bracelet ends up as scrap. Replacements aren’t cheap, I think they’re between £400 and £500 thesedays.

A tired example of this watch can be a moneypit........be careful out there!
    This is a worry! Especially as mine is already 11 years old. How long do they last, assuming reasonable wear (ie daily or fairly frequent)? Does the same issue apply to the Speedmaster bracelet, given that this is almost identical?

Yours,

Concerned of Maidstone

Journeyman

Unhappy In the bin. In my case.

In the bin. In my case.

I had taken it off to change the date at work (it had the wrong day, as I didn't normally wear it). I got distracted by work. Was in a rush to leave, and picked up all the stuff on my desk and put it in the bin. I got home, realised I din't have it, but stupidly thought it was in my desk drawer etc - anyway, it wasn't. I'd put it in the bin. It was a really nice 2254 too!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...76#post4163976

And no, it wasn't insured....

Grand Master
    This is a worry! Especially as mine is already 11 years old. How long do they last, assuming reasonable wear (ie daily or fairly frequent)? Does the same issue apply to the Speedmaster bracelet, given that this is almost identical?

Yours,

Concerned of Maidstone
    The key to looking after these bracelets is keeping them clean. Dirt and grit gets into the bracelet, acts like grinding paste and wears the pins. The removable links aren`t a major problem because they can be re-pinned with oversize pins and tubes, but the pins holding the fixed links can`t be replaced and the bracelet ends up with the characteristic 'stretch' problem. I`m not aware of anyone being able to separate the fixed links and re-pin them in the way that Rolex bracelets can be fixed, I once tried to get a link apart and gave up.

The way the pins and tubes wear is slightly odd. The tubes can wear/corrode and the pin loses its grip causing it to come loose. It's always worth checking how tight the pins are on the removable links, the clasp, and the end links. I sorted a Bond bracelet out recently where the pins were falling out, Omega now charge silly money for these pins and tubes, and when the links are worn fitting new standard ones won`t take up all the slack so it makes sense to get oversize ones fitted........it's tedious and fiddly to do,it involves cutting pins/tubes to size, but it can be done.

Some of these bracelets seem to wear badly, some don't. If the watch leads a hard life (swimming in seawater, dirt environment etc), combined with a slightly loose fit, the bracelet will suffer.

Clasps wear too; eventually only one of the buttons will grip owing to wear in the spring and the little mushroom-shaped pip. A new spring will usually sort this out but usually all the pins in the clasp are shot too. I`ve fixed and fettled them in the past, but now Omega won`t supply the parts I`m loathe to get involved with them.

A word of caution for buyers; even if the bracelet is nicely refinished it could still be plagued with problems. A few years back I had a Bond SMP sent to me for 'light refinishing'.......the bracelet was so bad I refused to work on it! Eventually I succumbed to persuasion, I agreed to do the best I could and a price was agreed. The bracelet ended up looking cosmetically like new, but it was still a stretched/ worn out bracelet that wasn`t going to last much longer. His watch, his choice, a poor bracelet can be made to look smart again and that's why buyers have to be careful.

Best advice to current owners of SMPs* is to keep that bracelet clean! Using warm water and washing up liquid works a treat, an old toothbrush will help dislodge the dirt. An ultrasonic bath is better; make up some strong detergent solution in a glass jar, fill the U/sonic bath with water, put the jar in and dangle the bracelet in the jar. If this is done following a session with a toothbrush (to loosen most of the crap) the bracelet will shed all it's dirt. Finish of with clean warm water, keep going till the water is clean. Ideally, take the bracelet off the watch and fully immerse it.......don`t be surprised if it takes a day or two's soaking to get it really clean! After all that cleaning you may find the pins are loose, the dirt was keeping 'em tight!........trust me I don`t make this stuff up.

* This advice applies to all watch bracelets
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd October 2018 at 17:25.

Master
    The key to looking after these bracelets is keeping them clean. Dirt and grit gets into the bracelet, acts like grinding paste and wears the pins. The removable links aren`t a major problem because they can be re-pinned with oversize pins and tubes, but the pins holding the fixed links can`t be replaced and the bracelet ends up with the characteristic 'stretch' problem. I`m not aware of anyone being able to separate the fixed links and re-pin them in the way that Rolex bracelets can be fixed, I once tried to get a link apart and gave up.

The way the pins and tubes wear is slightly odd. The tubes can wear/corrode and the pin loses its grip causing it to come loose. It's always worth checking how tight the pins are on the removable links, the clasp, and the end links. I sorted a Bond bracelet out recently where the pins were falling out, Omega now charge silly money for these pins and tubes, and when the links are worn fitting new standard ones won`t take up all the slack so it makes sense to get oversize ones fitted........it's tedious and fiddly to do,it involves cutting pins/tubes to size, but it can be done.

Some of these bracelets seem to wear badly, some don't. If the watch leads a hard life (swimming in seawater, dirt environment etc), combined with a slightly loose fit, the bracelet will suffer.

Clasps wear too; eventually only one of the buttons will grip owing to wear in the spring and the little mushroom-shaped pip. A new spring will usually sort this out but usually all the pins in the clasp are shot too. I`ve fixed and fettled them in the past, but now Omega won`t supply the parts I`m loathe to get involved with them.

A word of caution for buyers; even if the bracelet is nicely refinished it could still be plagued with problems. A few years back I had a Bond SMP sent to me for 'light refinishing'.......the bracelet was so bad I refused to work on it! Eventually I succumbed to persuasion, I agreed to do the best I could and a price was agreed. The bracelet ended up looking cosmetically like new, but it was still a stretched/ worn out bracelet that wasn`t going to last much longer. His watch, his choice, a poor bracelet can be made to look smart again and that's why buyers have to be careful.

Best advice to current owners of SMPs* is to keep that bracelet clean! Using warm water and washing up liquid works a treat, an old toothbrush will help dislodge the dirt. An ultrasonic bath is better; make up some strong detergent solution in a glass jar, fill the U/sonic bath with water, put the jar in and dangle the bracelet in the jar. If this is done following a session with a toothbrush (to loosen most of the crap) the bracelet will shed all it's dirt. Finish of with clean warm water, keep going till the water is clean. Ideally, take the bracelet off the watch and fully immerse it.......don`t be surprised if it takes a day or two's soaking to get it really clean! After all that cleaning you may find the pins are loose, the dirt was keeping 'em tight!........trust me I don`t make this stuff up.

Right, NATO it is then...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    In the bin. In my case.

I had taken it off to change the date at work (it had the wrong day, as I didn't normally wear it). I got distracted by work. Was in a rush to leave, and picked up all the stuff on my desk and put it in the bin. I got home, realised I din't have it, but stupidly thought it was in my desk drawer etc - anyway, it wasn't. I'd put it in the bin. It was a really nice 2254 too!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...76#post4163976

And no, it wasn't insured....
    That's harsh, and i shouldn't laugh but it's only because that sounds like my kind of luck!
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 24th October 2018 at 17:55.

Craftsman

Great advice which i will follow to the book. I have an U/S cleaner so will use that periodically.

Journeyman
    I have one as well. I’ve got it new with box, cards, etc, and it has just came back looking new from a service with omega.

I will never sell it. It is one of these funny watches that probably was not selling well at the time (in comparison with its cousin the blue bond model) so was taken out of production. It looks as if it has become everybody’s grail watch since.

The release of the black bond with the skeleton hands and fussy bracelet shortly after it was taken out of production probably means that there will not be another one anytime soon. Another point worth mentioning Is that the release of the planet ocean series more or less at that time possibly contributed to its disappearance as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I have one that I bought on the forum, from a local member who had bought it as an insurance replacement for a stolen watch. He hadn't worn it at all and was selling it, to replace it with the last of the original PRS2 Dreadnoughts that Eddie sold, in mid 2004. Eddie had kept back a very low edition number (2/200 or 3/200 IIRC) for someone who didn't complete the purchase and my guy got it, months after the edition had sold out.
    He had the 2254.50 listed for sale for ages and the price kept dropping until I bought it for £640 or £660. This was an unworn watch, a couple of months old, complete with box, cards, hang tag and Goldsmith's receipt for £1100. I still have it and it's still in vgc condition, despite being a regular wearer. I've often said that if I had to reduce to two watches only it would be this and a Speedy Pro.

think one just listed at Blowers - with fresh service

https://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/...er-2254-50-00/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    think one just listed at Blowers - with fresh service

https://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/...er-2254-50-00/
    That's a nice example and priced quite well to be fair. I may be wrong but it looks like it may have had a light polish as the edges don't look that crisp to me, but saying that it's hard to tell as they're pretty lo-res photos and even if so it's been done well. Plus for an 11 year old watch that's not to be unexpected to be fair.

If it was an Omega service though i'd send it back and get them to re-align the bezel with the 12 o'clock hour marker which is slightly out, but that could be sorted easily enough.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 24th October 2018 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I have one that I bought on the forum, from a local member who had bought it as an insurance replacement for a stolen watch. He hadn't worn it at all and was selling it, to replace it with the last of the original PRS2 Dreadnoughts that Eddie sold, in mid 2004. Eddie had kept back a very low edition number (2/200 or 3/200 IIRC) for someone who didn't complete the purchase and my guy got it, months after the edition had sold out.
    He had the 2254.50 listed for sale for ages and the price kept dropping until I bought it for £640 or £660. This was an unworn watch, a couple of months old, complete with box, cards, hang tag and Goldsmith's receipt for £1100. I still have it and it's still in vgc condition, despite being a regular wearer. I've often said that if I had to reduce to two watches only it would be this and a Speedy Pro.
    I paid Vin (I think £825) for mine ten years ago, got fed up with seeing them everywhere, and traded it in for a Dreadnought. I really don't get what people see in the 2254? I've a white dial Seamaster (much rarer) which is a much better looking watch to my eyes and gets far more comments than the 2254 ever got? Just shows you can't predict a collectible watch? As I said in an early post one sat in my local jewelers for a year or more, though checked today and it has been sold. Though he still has a 2256 & a 2252 so it can't be the design people want? Confused??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I paid Vin (I think £825) for mine ten years ago, got fed up with seeing them everywhere, and traded it in for a Dreadnought. I really don't get what people see in the 2254? I've a white dial Seamaster (much rarer) which is a much better looking watch to my eyes and gets far more comments than the 2254 ever got? Just shows you can't predict a collectible watch? As I said in an early post one sat in my local jewelers for a year or more, though checked today and it has been sold. Though he still has a 2256 & a 2252 so it can't be the design people want? Confused??
    White dial with the skeleton hands circular plots and polished bezel insert? Nice dial but a very dated look those, though so is the blue Bond to a certain extent. Not big sellers vs a 2254. The Great White is pretty popular though. A 2252 seems to be a mid sized 2254 but not sure there was ever a 2256. Perhaps you mean the electric blue 2255?
    Last edited by Padders; 25th October 2018 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    White dial with the skeleton hands circular plots and polished bezel insert? Nice dial but a very dated look those, though so is the blue Bond to a certain extent. Not big sellers vs a 2254. The Great White is pretty popular though. A 2252 seems to be a mid sized 2254 but not sure there was ever a 2256. Perhaps you mean the electric blue 2255?
    It’s the full size quartz

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by wildheart; 26th October 2018 at 11:07.

Master
    I’m still kicking myself over snoozing and losing on one of these a couple of years ago on SC... feels like prices have almost doubled! They are lovely looking watches