closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Green Alpinist" was released in 1995 - A history

"Green Alpinist" was released in 1995 - A history

I found this article on the Seiko Alpinist:

Two designers, discuss the 1995 release with the 4S movement, and the 2006 release with the 6R movement, also their inspiration for the colour green chosen for the dial.

https://www.seiko-design.com/alpinist/index.html

Someone needs to do some proper english translations of these articles - interesting stuff.

Craftsman

At some stage I decided to get all of the 4s15 Alpinists. They're pictured with a SARB017 on a Strapcode jubilee. I really like them, but I have no idea what to do with them as they are in need of a movement service.

Craftsman
    On green two piece canvas strap:

Watch taken outside:

That's a lovely little groupo... especially the cream dial. These are really quite a nice change from the run of the mill divers I usually see. Reminiscent of the kind of variety in the vintage Seiko Chronos from 70s and 80s
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post

At some stage I decided to get all of the 4s15 Alpinists. They're pictured with a SARB017 on a Strapcode jubilee. I really like them, but I have no idea what to do with them as they are in need of a movement service.
    Sent from my PH-1 using some kind of voodoo

Apprentice
    Love my Alpinist.
    Never knew they had the 4S movements in them first though. Seems like a step back to replace them with the 6R movement, as reliable as that is.

Unless it came with a big price reduction???

Journeyman
    They moved the 4S upmarket to Credor when they developed the 6R. After a quick Google, it looks like the 1995 Alpinists were 33-35,000 yen. The 6R versions in 2006 were 50-60,000. They'd probably argue the 6R versions were 'better' since they had sapphire and 50 hour PR.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    They moved the 4S upmarket to Credor when they developed the 6R. After a quick Google, it looks like the 1995 Alpinists were 33-35,000 yen. The 6R versions in 2006 were 50-60,000. They'd probably argue the 6R versions were 'better' since they had sapphire and 50 hour PR.
    Thanks for the info.
    I'd always prefer 28,880 bph over a longer power reserve any day.
    Got a couple of 4S12 GMTs and they keep impecable time even at 21 years old.

They've just done the same things with the Hamilton and Tissot lines. Going from a 2824-2 to a H-10/powermatic 80. Longer power reserve but lower bph.

Seems like a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post

Very nice set, thanks for sharing all the models.
    I am off to Japan in April next year and I am looking at which watches I should try and pick up. These Alpinist's were on my list, hence the research, and I really like the 4s but they are a little small for my wrists.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Very nice set, thanks for sharing all the models.
    I am off to Japan in April next year and I am looking at which watches I should try and pick up. These Alpinist's were on my list, hence the research, and I really like the 4s but they are a little small for my wrists.
    I'd try them on. They wear pretty good.

You could also try the 4s15-7000 (SCVF001) which is the diver and considerably cheaper and full titanium. I have been looking for one, but refuse to pay over 500 euros for one. I know some folks don't like titanium watches, but it looks purdy on a keeperless nato or mn strap.

I like the 4s15 ones, but since I have them, owning the SARB017 seems pointless. It is a little larger and I have had problem finding a good strap for it. The added thickness makes is kind of bouncy on my wrist on a nato and I haven't found the perfect leather for it yet.

edit:
    https://samvincenzo.wordpress.com/20...itanium-diver/
    Last edited by ollipekka; 24th October 2018 at 10:23.

Journeyman
    Thanks for highlighting nthe article. I enjoyed reading the other ones as well about their divers, etc.

Thanks for sharing that article. Interesting read. Nice to know more about the choice of colour, interesting where they got it from, always assumed nature.....

I once mailed Seiko on the Cocktail Time
    dial and got a detailed answer. Really appreciate Seiko for sharing more on what is behind certain models and choices.

Inspired by someone here I upgraded my crystal to AR coated double dome to make the dial even more striking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    That's a lovely little groupo... especially the cream dial.
    Seconded. I hadn’t realised that there was a cream dial version, but that is stunning.

Journeyman
    Really nice looking watches...must get myself over to eBay!