closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smart Heating - Hive vs Nest vs ?

We've got Hive, I like the app, the thermostat is easy to use but the ready by feature is crap

Ready By is a smarter way to control your heating. Hive determines when your boiler should be turned on so that your home is at your desired temperature when you get out of bed or arrive home. Just like pre-heating your oven.

Hive will learn how quickly your home warms up and uses this to decide when it needs to switch your heating on to be warm when you want it. You set up your schedule to tell Hive what temperatures you want and when. Hive makes sure your home is warmed up just in time, without wasting energy by starting to heat up too early. If you’ve set a schedule event for 20°C at 07:00, Hive will work out when to start your boiler so that the temperature should be reached by 07:00.

With Ready By switched on you will notice that your heating will start to warm up your home up to 60 minutes before your next schedule event (but only if your home is not already warm enough).
    That's the blurb from the website. I've been using it a year, it still comes on an hour before the scheduled time. It seems to be a very slow learner.

Master
    My hive is equally as dense. It starts trying to pre-roast me at about 4pm daily. Tempted to turn off the smart features, which defeats the object of it.

Tried in different rooms to try and manage it, but it’s still rubbish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    We’ve put the main tado stat in the room with the underfloor heating which has worked well for us basically that replaced the stat in that room that used to control it all other rooms are normal rads on TRVs
    Thanks.

How does the Tado thermostat control the flow of water to the underfloor heating as I imagine that is controlling the boiler unless it is connected to a separate valve ?
    My existing underfloor heating thermostats are wireless Siemens units connected to a Siemens controller.

On a separate but related topic, on Amazon I have read many reviews from unhappy owners saying that the Tado system keeps losing connectivity causing the heating to go on when not needed and no way to stop it. What has been TZ people's experience ?

If Tado loses connectivity it just runs to the already set schedule, but you lose remote access. It doesn’t suddenly turn on the heating - I think it used to do something similar many years ago in one of the first releases of it, but that was changed a long time ago.

Edit - This shows what’s possible when the connection drops: https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3477781-what-happens-when-the-internet-connection-is-temporarily-lost-can-i-still-control-my-heating-or-air-conditioning-using-tado
    Last edited by RobM; 15th April 2021 at 20:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Thanks.

How does the Tado thermostat control the flow of water to the underfloor heating as I imagine that is controlling the boiler unless it is connected to a separate valve ?
    My existing underfloor heating thermostats are wireless Siemens units connected to a Siemens controller.

On a separate but related topic, on Amazon I have read many reviews from unhappy owners saying that the Tado system keeps losing connectivity causing the heating to go on when not needed and no way to stop it. What has been TZ people's experience ?
    I have the contacts on the rear of the stat bringing the pump on or off for the manifold, as for losing connectivity we had it installed around 4 years now I think and aside from the odd time when we’ve lost the internet completely to the house never had a connection loss on tado. At the time it has lost connection it’s just defaulted to the time clock settings, I’ve never had it come on when it’s not needed or not come on when needed infact aside from changing the batteries in the TRVs about once a year touch wood we haven’t had to do a thing to it since the initial finding our ideal settings in different rooms.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies on connection issues.

Where Tado TRVs are connected, what experience have people had with the reliability of their connectivity and hence abilities to reliably control them ?

No problems with TRV’s at all. I have six of them across five rooms and every once in a while the one in my office loses connection momentarily, but the usual rules apply and it keeps working.

Think of them like any wireless device; the environment, distances, other wireless signals, etc can influence performance, but without those environmental concerns they’re rock solid.

Master
    Thanks for the replies on connection issues.

Where Tado TRVs are connected, what experience have people had with the reliability of their connectivity and hence abilities to reliably control them ?
    No real issues with Trv connections here we have 11 all together although 2 are in the same room, similar to Rob we have one occasionally drop out says no signal to family bathroom fixes itself and I’ve probably noticed it 4/5 times in all the time we’ve had it installed.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will plump for the Tado

Master
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will plump for the Tado
    Costco and Amazon sometimes have decent deals on tado so worth keeping an eye out, if I was doing our system again I’d leave out the bathroom radiators they have towel rails anyway so it was pointless doing the rads I’d also be more conservative with room temps and duration than I was at the start starting cooler and nudging the temp up if needed in any particular room. It took us a little while to find our happy medium in different areas of the house but these days I don’t touch it just mooch at the app out of interest occasionally, it’s self explanatory you’d think but don’t put geofencing on a device like the iPad that hardly leaves the house and expect it to work as intended yep facepalm moment for me that lol

I agree with the point about towel rails. I was once told you should leave a couple of radiators open, and towel rails are ideal. I’ve also got one hallway radiator left without a TRV as well, so the system flows nicely and I have controls in the rooms it’s most beneficial in.