closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gutted MacBook Pro Woes

Gutted MacBook Pro Woes

All,

Just spilt some orange squash on my MBP!

Held it at an angle to let the liquid drain off. Then turned it off and dried it. Before it went off there were some strange noises emanating from the keyboard / mouse area like a buzzing.

Currently in an airtight bag with about 20 bags of silica gell.

So annoyed with myself for a rookie mistake. Any other suggestions on how to limit the damage and how long to wait before I turn it on?

Best,

Ben

I'd go for a dry airing cupboard for at least 24 hours. If it does come back to life, and there's every chance it will, the keyboard isn't likely to be the same again.

Hello

Thanks, and bugger!

Also, you angled it to drain the fluid out THEN turned it off?

Hopefully turning it off was your first move, not sloshing the liquid around first.

In an ideal world you'd be able to immediately pop the battery out, but they seem to want you to not be able to do anything yourself now.

Hello

Yes no option to remove battery.

Hopefully any damage will be minimal. Unfortunately it was angle it to drain liquid then brush off excess liquid and then turn off and dry further.

Unfortunately the squash will leave a sticky residue, this may play havoc with key functionality, then again you may get lucky.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Unfortunately the squash will leave a sticky residue, this may play havoc with key functionality, then again you may get lucky.
    Red wine does the same...

Hello

Hopefully I’ll get lucky.

Normally when the MBP is on the table liquids are nowhere near it, but complacency and stupidity are a dangerous thing.

Hello

If it comes to it will have to check the insurance policy I suppose.

It's worth looking in to the issues being faced in a number of countries at the moment with Apple claiming things are not they way they are, resulting in their charging customers far, far more than needed to actually fix any issues (a simple cheap/free job that an indie repairer can do will be claimed to cost over a grand to fix by the Apple 'Genius' fixers). Cases in the US and France in particular in recent weeks are worth looking at, if you're going to have to get it fixed.

Hello

Hugh,

Will have a look at that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Bitter experience has shown me that most sugary drinks don't mix well with electronics of any sort.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

What year of MBP? The first of the touch bar ones? They have inherently-crap keyboards, and if it is that one - it could be worthwhile getting a new keyboard (which apparently fixes the issues the first keyboard has).

Try adding rice to the bag too. Worked for me when I had water damage on an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    All,

Just spilt some orange squash on my MBP!

Held it at an angle to let the liquid drain off. Then turned it off and dried it. Before it went off there were some strange noises emanating from the keyboard / mouse area like a buzzing.

Currently in an airtight bag with about 20 bags of silica gell.

So annoyed with myself for a rookie mistake. Any other suggestions on how to limit the damage and how long to wait before I turn it on?

Best,

Ben

Hello

It is an Apple MacBook Pro 13” Retina 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Try adding rice to the bag too. Worked for me when I had water damage on an iPhone.
    Old wives tale, probably would have dried out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Yeah, but who in their right mind spills wine ?

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Yeah, but who in their right mind spills wine ?
    Perhaps, but I did the same thing to mine a few years ago (red wine) - ended up being not repairable and was replaced by house contents insurance (accidental damage).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hello

Probably me re wine!

I’m hoping it won’t to an insurance claim but will see how it goes. I do have like for like and if memory serves my excess is £250 / £350.

Not had a claim for ages!!!!!!

Master
    Here’s a kB replacement guide

If the machine works but has ‘sticky’ keys you could try this and ‘wash’ the kB components in ipa.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/77657

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Here’s a kB replacement guide

If the machine works but has ‘sticky’ keys you could try this and ‘wash’ the kB components in ipa.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/77657
    That's a handy guide but I'm sure that IPA can't be any better for it than red wine or squash.

Hello

Thanks Captain M,

Will have a look. Although battery replacement on Windows Laptops are about my limit. If I took a Mac to bits it could end up becoming self aware and going on a rampage!

Master
    Mr C , I see wat you did there...

Mr B, I’d not be brave enough myself but if it’s mullered then it might be worth a punt?

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Probably me re wine!

I’m hoping it won’t to an insurance claim but will see how it goes. I do have like for like and if memory serves my excess is £250 / £350.

Not had a claim for ages!!!!!!
    This (potentially) will get you a current MBP as a replacement - they have changed quite a bit so could be the 'silver lining', claim thing aside.

Hello

Yes, just annoyed with myself at my stupidity and potentially all the hassle in sorting it out moving data / applications etc.

Only myself to blame though and at least no one was injured etc.

Craftsman
    I did the same thing to a Toshiba laptop.

Spilt coffee on the keyboard, not very much at all, and I got to it in split seconds. I tried drying it out for a week before switching it on but it was dead.

The only plus was the hard drive was okay so I could remove it and still use it as an external drive, no data lost.

And no, i'm not a novice I've used computers since the 80's and never destroyed one before.

Master
    It really is worth checking your insurance.

A couple of years ago I was cleaning my record player with a feather duster and like a total moron I took the needle out of the cartridge. It was my fault and it was a clumsy and careless thing to do.

A replacement needle was just under a grand and the insurance company arranged for a replacement to be fitted.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Unfortunately the squash will leave a sticky residue, this may play havoc with key functionality.
    Yep.
    Put it in the dishwasher.
    That'll fu@k sort it

Master
    Ifixit is your friend. I was quoted £260 from Apple for a battery replacement in a 2013 Macbook , plus a 7 week waiting period for the part.

I did it myself with an £80 kit from ifixit. I also regularly fix the macbook psus with a new cable for £5 off amazon a £10 soldering iron and £5 in solder ipa and superglue instead of forking £90 for another which will break in 2 years anyway.

Hello

Well, just turned it on.

It booted up as normal although there was a bit of whirring / buzzing noise that is not normally there.

Mouse functions as normal.

Shut it down and noticed some moisture on the underside so wiped it all down again with a tea towel and returned it to its air tight tomb with silica gel.

If the silica gel is only small bags might be an idea to dry it by heating in a very hot oven for a good few hours (out of bags if they won't withstand heating). They'll more easily absorb moisture from air when hot so get them straight into bag with MacBook afterwards.

Hello

Never heard of heating silica gel bags before. And yes they are mainly small bags with two or three larger ones.

Obviously silica gel has only got a certain capacity to absorb water - heating will drive off the water and 'regenerate' it dry.

Hello

Understood, so on a baking tray at moderate heat to dry them out then put them back in with the MBP.

My wife spilled a cup of tea on her MacBook Pro a few years ago. I took the bottom off, dried it out using cotton buds and left it upside down for a week before using it. It has worked for 3 years without a problem.

Hello

Phil,

Good to hear a positive story.

Thanks!

Best,

Ben

Ben, best of luck drying it out. Even if it doesn't dry out your data on the SSD is almost bound to be safe.
    It could of course be worse. I had an IT colleague who told me one of his users mistook this:

For this:

and liberally sprayed the former all over her one day old MBP. It, and she, didn't survive the experience.

Hello

Thank you.

Oh dear, not good!

Best of luck - personally, I would claim on the insurance, that's why we have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    My wife spilled a cup of tea on her MacBook Pro a few years ago. I took the bottom off, dried it out using cotton buds and left it upside down for a week before using it. It has worked for 3 years without a problem.
    Indeed, things can work out.

Equally, my partner's MacBook Pro that's three years old has never had anything spilt on it, kept mostly in an office and moved around occasionally and last week it just wouldn't turn on. Completely dead. Looking at £700+, and they've stated up front that they'll charge for things that may not even be the culprit, but that they replace anyway.

Hello

Well at the moment it turns on / boots up and functions without issue.

Just a waiting game I suppose.

Thanks all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Indeed, things can work out.

Equally, my partner's MacBook Pro that's three years old has never had anything spilt on it, kept mostly in an office and moved around occasionally and last week it just wouldn't turn on. Completely dead. Looking at £700+, and they've stated up front that they'll charge for things that may not even be the culprit, but that they replace anyway.
    There is an expectation that goods work for a reasonable amount of time assuming non mistreatment. 4 years would be the minimum for something likeba laptop.

I think you have a reasonable case for a like for like replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    There is an expectation that goods work for a reasonable amount of time assuming non mistreatment. 4 years would be the minimum for something likeba laptop.

I think you have a reasonable case for a like for like replacement.
    Thank you for this, and indeed she did state this when going to see them. But they have previously repaired it due to an issue from the factory (I can't recall what exactly, but they didn't even try and blame her) and claimed that because of this, the four year essentially 'automatic' coverage would no longer apply. She walked away at this point and is looking at other options, including going back and giving a clearer case for why they have to sort it out.

What really shocked me was that on taking the back off of it myself, there were screws missing on part of the board, and indeed a screw was driven hard into another section of it where it definitely should not have been. The only others who had been inside it at this point were...Apple.