closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC stamped & applied indices

IWC stamped & applied indices

I can't now remember in which thread this came up, but mention was made of an Portugiese with a stamped dial.

Looking through their website, it seems that it's only the cheaper chrono, the one with the 7750-derived movement, that has stamped indices:

The more expensive Classic Chrono (with the 89361) and 7 day Automatic have applied indices:

That'll teach you to be a cheapskate, only shelling out six and a half grand

In the blurb for the gold cased 7 day automatic it mentions that the indices too are solid gold

(The blurb for the steel case auto with gold indices does not make that claim - not surprisingly, given its no more expensive than the other dial variations)

Interesting find! I remember the discussion on this as well - I have an IWC Ingenieur AMG Chronograph (which IIRC you saw a beaten up version and thought 'fantastic' ) and initially had thought the indices were applied.

I have more than once been staring at the damn thing to figure out if it is stamped or not - my hesitation was due to the production numbers being much lower than the Portugiese and a 'limited' edition. However I reckon it is stamped. Something about it makes me think it is not applied.

I'm not sure about the bulked up 'newer' in house and pricey Ingenieurs to compete with AP ROO, maybe applied?

The problem with the IWC website is that for this kind of detail we're totally at the mercy of the blurb-writer - the listed specs are nigh-on worthless. For the Portugiesen they happen to mention it, clarifying which is embossed, which is applique. For the new Ingenieur lines, no mention of indices at all, it seems. Interesting to mention "gold plated hands" and yet be silent about indices....

I believe old Portuguese 7750 chronos were embossed up until 2006~ but since then they are applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    I believe old Portuguese 7750 chronos were embossed up until 2006~ but since then they are applied.
    I haven't just been making this up, I am reporting what the website says:

"Everything is integrated harmoniously on the clearly organized dial with the encircling precision scale: the recessed totalizers, the embossed Arabic numerals and the perfectly proportioned feuille hands for hours and minutes."

https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collect...ronograph.html

Indeed Der Amf pretty clear for the Portugiese, however there is lack of clarity of some of the other lines like the Ingenieur.