closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko skx007 advice

Journeyman

Seiko skx007 advice

Hi guys

I’m looking for some advice on where/what model to get the above watch.

I have 2 seikos already but seen this model recently and really liked the look of it, that coupled with the fact it is an Automatic makes it more appealing to me as I have never owned an Automatic watch.

I have done a little research and can see that most people prefer the J model?

Also I would be looking for the metal strap version, I am in the UK and see Creation watches sell them,would I be incurring a customs tax soon after receiving from that shop?

Here are a couple pictures of my other 2 seikos.

There's little difference. Personally I prefer the cleaner dial of the K version. Other than that there's very little to differentiate them.
    Creation are fine, there is an option to avoid import duty (No box etc iirc), but don't expect any level of customer service if the watch turns out to have a problem. Yorkshire watches are very good, but you will get bent over somewhat on the price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Yorkshire watches are very good, but you will get bent over somewhat on the price.
    That made me spit coffee on my keyboard :) :)

The j versions seem better to me. I've had a few of each. Polishing seems better, lines a bit sharper, bezel a bit tighter. Small but noticable differences.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought my 009 (same watch different colour) from Creation, albeit a couple of years ago and didn't get stung by HMRC.
    Mine on the jubilee bracelet, which I found a bit less than substantial. It lasted only as long as it took for a Strapcode super oyster to arrive and which I think lifts the quality of the piece. If you want it on a bracelet, buy it on the rubber, save a few quid and put it towards a Strapcode (they do a jubilee as well although I can't comment on it but I imagine it would be as good as the oyster).

Seiko skx007 advice

I believe,and correct me if I'm wrong that the only difference between the j and k model is the j is made in Japan and the k is made in Korea,they are pretty much the same but you'll pay more for a j because labor wages are higher in Japan. I recently bought a k from creation watches and opted for them to send the box and got stung with a £42 tax charge so choose for them to not send the box if you don't want to pay extra

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    I believe,and correct me if I'm wrong that the only difference between the j and k model is the j is made in Japan and the k is made in Korea,they are pretty much the same but you'll pay more for a j because labor wages are higher in Japan. I recently bought a k from creation watches and opted for them to send the box and got stung with a £42 tax charge so choose for them to not send the box if you don't want to pay extra

Are the J models just that little bit better in terms of build quality? The only Seiko I had (my Son stole it) was an SNZH53 K which is an excellent piece.

And is the box anything worth keeping, is it actually worthy of the £42 import duty or not?

Craftsman
    Physically there is no difference between the j and k models.

The markings on the dial are for their destination markets and made in Japan can legally mean they were actually made any where by Japanese law. This is as long as they were made in a Japanese facility by Japanese machi ery with Japanese supervision and quality control.
    The dial J and k also refers to which date wheel is in the watch...once more a destination market thing.

Some destination markets actually require the 'Made in' designation and others do not. What this means is that the same production line may well produce j and k versions.

This topic is covered in a lot of detail over on the WUS forum if any-one wants more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Are the J models just that little bit better in terms of build quality? The only Seiko I had (my Son stole it) was an SNZH53 K which is an excellent piece.

And is the box anything worth keeping, is it actually worthy of the £42 import duty or not?
    In hindsight I wish I didn't ask for the box as it's not worth £42 I just thought I'd try my luck getting the box and hoping they wouldn't open it at customs,you have a much better chance if it's just Watch only

Yep agreed with the J and K versions having no difference beyond date language and text on the dial.

Just buy what you prefer as there is no build quality difference.

Just my opinion that there was a time when the Japan models were finished to a slightly better level. In the brushing, and on the bezel ring in particular. I also found the dials had a different finish and colour, particularly on the SKX009. I don't know if it is still the case.

You could by both, make your own decisions and sell the other... there is always going to be a buyer around.

Sent from my PH-1 using some kind of voodoo

Craftsman
    Just for your information, I dont know why..but unless someone knows differently YORKSHIRE watches seem to have closed down, they are nowwhere to be seen online, either on Ebay or googling
    Anubody know why?

I thikn it was mentioned here that there was a death in the family so they are selling all there remaining stock and then they will make a decision on what to do next.

Craftsman
    Thats sad news for them, hopefully they will find a buyer or continue to trade as they were a useful site for unique and wanted Seiko stock, ok always a preminum but they had the stock and you had a point of contact and a guarantee, that is still worth somehting to me , and when something goes wrong, which can be fairly often..its good to have that back up.

That is handsome. Where did you get the bezel and insert?

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    The j versions seem better to me. I've had a few of each. Polishing seems better, lines a bit sharper, bezel a bit tighter. Small but noticable differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    Thats sad news for them, hopefully they will find a buyer or continue to trade as they were a useful site for unique and wanted Seiko stock, ok always a preminum but they had the stock and you had a point of contact and a guarantee, that is still worth somehting to me , and when something goes wrong, which can be fairly often..its good to have that back up.
    Agreed.

I bought a seiko orange monster on a bracelet and the sk013 from them.
    They were my go to firm for new watches.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I thikn it was mentioned here that there was a death in the family so they are selling all there remaining stock and then they will make a decision on what to do next.
    Can't find anything. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    Absolutely. Sad news indeed. Always great service. I bought my Alpinist from them (mfr date was one month before buying so minty fresh) and the price was the same as if I'd bought from Seiya with VAT included.

(with apologies to the OP for thread derailment)

Bezel is a coin edge from crystal times, insert from yobokies
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    That is handsome. Where did you get the bezel and insert?
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Bezel is a coin edge from crystal times, insert from yobokies
    Good to know and much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Can't find anything. Do you have a link?

Absolutely. Sad news indeed. Always great service. I bought my Alpinist from them (mfr date was one month before buying so minty fresh) and the price was the same as if I'd bought from Seiya with VAT included.

(with apologies to the OP for thread derailment)
    I dont if it didnt turn up on here it would of been on WUS.

Craftsman
    I get mine from sportswatchstore. You can ask them to specify a low value for cutoms.
    Here's my latest creation based on a SKX

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk