closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Squale or Steinhart - dilemma

Squale or Steinhart - dilemma

I am after a bit of advice please guys, I have a sum of money from various relatives for my 40th birthday back in August. The intention was always to buy a watch to mark the occasion with said funds and in my head I knew it would always be between a Steinhart 39 Ceramic or a Squale 1545, depending on funds received and how much I would be prepared to top up the pot. This is still the case... BUT, I cannot seem to pull the trigger.

My current collection includes a Glycine Sub Combat, Orient Mako Gen 1, Seiko Monster Gen 1, Tag 4000, Vostok Amphibia amongst others, so the theme is pretty much set and I know I will cherish which ever I decide.

To make matters worse Gnomon have twice released the vintage editions of the Steinharts, which I like a lot, but I also like the look of the Blue Lume original 39, splitting my decision between the Steinharts.

Then there is the Squale, is it a step above the Steinhart in terms of quality? I keep going back to the blue lume of the Steinhart, which should not be a decisive factor for general use.

Any experience/thoughts greatly appreciated, as I would like to have the watch on my wrist by this side of Christmas!

I loved my Squale and I think it was a step up from the Steinharts I have had but the lume was pretty poor

Save up a bit more and get the Squale 1521.

I never understood why Squale released a rash of homages when they have so many classic designs of their own?

I have a Steinhart which I love, but that Squale 1521 in matt blue....just looks lovely. As does the polished / satin one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Squale. No idea why. Good looks, but something about the name and the little shark. Great kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had both the 1545 militaire and the Steinhart 39. Both great watches, but the Steinhart wins it for me. The rehaut just has too much presence on the Squale.

My son pinched the Squale as soon as he saw it, and I would have it back in a heartbeat. But I would still prefer the Steinhart 39 as a sub homage.

I have never seen a 39mm Steinhart OVM, but it would have to go a long way to beat the Squale mil, it is a very cool watch indeed.

Master
    I've had 3 squale and 12 steinhart. Steinhart feels the better built to me.

Master
    I have had neither but prefer the Squale. Great help I know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I have had neither but prefer the Squale. Great help I know.
    The squale looks better in pictures than in flesh; steinhart is the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    What this gent said

Up to the point of, Squale-unpolished, Steinhart- very nicely buffed up.
    Last edited by nickyboyo; 19th October 2018 at 00:37.

Master

I’d say that’s true. I was really impressed with my Steinhart ocean one vintage build quality and would put it notably above my Squales. It even had nice case back engraving.

Master
    Squale had some issues with crowns. I'd say go with the Steiner.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    What this gent said

Up to the point of, Squale-unpolished, Steinhart- very nicely buffed up.
    Are you talking specifically about the 1545? The 1521s I've owned have all been finished to a high standard. I briefly owned a 1545 root beer and that was the same.

Horses for courses I suppose but I'd rather have an original design than a Sub homage. Not knocking Steinhart because they make brilliant watches to a price - just my opinion

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Are you talking specifically about the 1545? The 1521s I've owned have all been finished to a high standard. I briefly owned a 1545 root beer and that was the same.

Horses for courses I suppose but I'd rather have an original design than a Sub homage. Not knocking Steinhart because they make brilliant watches to a price - just my opinion
    The 1521s are much more solidly built than 1545, no doubt. And that's reflected in the £200+ higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I'm only on about the 1545. I have seen pictures of the other Squale models, and they look super. The 1545 is super, but the Steinhart just edges it on finish.

Master
    Ah, good to know as I was looking at a Squale GMT recently and I have never seen one in the flesh before.

I had one of these Squale's it was mashoooof! Comparing it to quality of my new 42mm Steinhart OVM, the Steinhart is better and I would say more refined.

A slab of a watch.

Thanks for the replies Gents, a nice mix of preferences and reasons why.

I wouldnt mind putting a bit more to and getting a 1521, but as it wasnt a watch originally on my radar and I would rather spend the gifted money and have/treat the watch as a gift, rather than me paying a lions share and loosing sentiment if that makes sense?
    Without taking away anything from the higher quality 1521, I prefer the style of the 1545/Ocean 39, without getting involved in the homage issues.

In my heart of hearts I think I want the Steinhart Ocean 39 Black Ceramic, I guess what I didnt want to hear, was that for a small contribution on my part, the Squale 1545 was a far superior watch and I would be daft not to put that little bit extra too.. It would seem they are more or less on a par.

The Gnomon OVM 39 is a tempting proposal though... But at least I have narrowed it from 3 to 2! Has anyone on here managed to get a Gnomon OVM 39? Only 2 batches of 50 pieces have been released so far, but a wrist shot would be appreciated.

Got my Gnomon OVM 39 a few weeks ago. Had the 42mm version 4 years ago but it just felt too big. Currently wearing it on an Erica’s Originals that arrived today. Not sure about there only being 100 released as mine is numbered in the 800’s

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Got my Gnomon OVM 39 a few weeks ago. Had the 42mm version 4 years ago but it just felt too big. Currently wearing it on an Erica’s Originals that arrived today. Not sure about there only being 100 released as mine is numbered in the 800’s
    Maybe it is me who has got the wrong end of the stick, as I understood it, Gnomon had the two batches of 50 produced and whilst not a limited edition, they will continue to release more. Interesting that yours is such a high number. I will have another read of their website.

Lovely looking watch! That has not helped my decision making process! But thank you for the shot!