closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Little bit of advice on copying/converting from CD

Master

Little bit of advice on copying/converting from CD

Looking to tap the collective wisdom of the forum. I bought some CDs via amazon. They were shipped by amazon USA. Turns out they write the CD to order. The issue is I want to convert them to MP3/FLAC. When I tried to convert them it comes as 'blank CD' on Mac and 'what do you want to dow with DVD/RW' on Windows. Looking at properties it shows a 702 MB. It plays fine on my stereo> Any ideas what's going on? Is it possible to convert these to MP3s?
    Thanks!

Master
    Thanks, tried it. No joy! When open EAC it is not reading the CD. Just wondering if the player/writer is broke?

Is the problem that the CD is an unusual format or you're after an application to copy CDs to another format in general?
    If the latter, I use dBpoweramp on Windows. If the former this might not work though some unusual CDS (e.g. with 'bonus' content) are sometimes still recognised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is the problem that the CD is an unusual format or you're after an application to copy CDs to another format in general?
    If the latter, I use dBpoweramp on Windows. If the former this might not work though some unusual CDS (e.g. with 'bonus' content) are sometimes still recognised.
    I think that is the problem-it is in an unusual format not recognised by Windows and Mac. Both come up as 'blank disc' Not sure how to check the format.
    Unless the programme recognises that there is an audio CD in the external drive I feel there is nothing we can do.
    Thanks anyway.

Thomas Reid
    I use cdparanoia with a script for it called "ripit". I don't know whether either is available for anything but linux. cdparanoia has never failed to get something from a CD, although I've never tried one of the Amazon created ones.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I use cdparanoia with a script for it called "ripit". I don't know whether either is available for anything but linux. cdparanoia has never failed to get something from a CD, although I've never tried one of the Amazon created ones.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Cheers! Will have to find my 'friend' who uses linux!

Master
    Wouldn't surprise me if the superdrive on your Mac is faulty, mine went on my iMac after about 3 years, so bought an external one from Samsung (about £40), as a replacement was cost prohibitive plus I hardly ever use the drive any longer.

A CD should just mount and play on the Mac whatever format it's burnt in.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Cheers! Will have to find my 'friend' who uses linux!
    If you get both, here's the script I use to invoke ripit, which invokes cdparanoia.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ ! -d /home/rfrazier/Music/$1 ]; then
    mkdir /home/rfrazier/Music/$1    
    fi
    ripit -o /home/rfrazier/Music/$1 -d /dev/sr0 -c 2 --playlist 0
    flac2mp3 /home/rfrazier/Music/$1
    It takes subdirectory name as the argument, the "$1". I use composer or musician as appropriate, e.g., Bob_Dylan. The "if" clause at the beginning just checks to see whether it exists, and makes it if it doesn't. The parent directories should already exist. The script will create a sub-directory with the name of the album and track names.

Your friend probably doesn't have the same directory structure as I do, so make adjustments. My CD player device is /dev/sr0; your friend might have another. The "-c 2" specifies the flac codec.

You may want to comment out or delete the last line. I have it there because I make mp3 files for my phone. After everything is made, I rsync the flac files to one storage directory, and the mp3 files to another. Then I rsync the mp3 storage directory to my phone.

( It has now taken me longer to explain the script that it did to write it. It is often like that. ;) )

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if the superdrive on your Mac is faulty, mine went on my iMac after about 3 years, so bought an external one from Samsung (about £40), as a replacement was cost prohibitive plus I hardly ever use the drive any longer.

A CD should just mount and play on the Mac whatever format it's burnt in.
    Sorry should have mentioned, mine is a MacBook. I use a cheap amazon CD/DVD RW

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Sorry should have mentioned, mine is a MacBook. I use a cheap amazon CD/DVD RW
    No worries, does the Amazon CD play normal CD's ok through the MacBook?

Master
    No worries, does the Amazon CD play normal CD's ok through the MacBook?
    Yes it does. That's why I thought the issue is with the CD not the player. Also, all show as audio CD or DVD. None show as 'blank CD'.

Master
    How old is the Mac and what OS are you using?

Master
    How old is the Mac and what OS are you using?
    2014 latest update. I don't think it is a Mac issue. Have tried it on a Windows laptops well.

Master
    Dear all,
    No joy, nothing worked. The CDs are going back to amazon.

Try IsoBuster - might be able to see the files.

Casting my mind back to the dim and distant past, audio and data CDs (and the drives that read them) comply to slightly different standards - "red book" and "yellow book" respectively, although most discs and drives comply with both. Therefore (and I'm not stating this is definitely the case) it *may* be possible to burn an audio CD that isn't playable in a data (computer) drive, such that it would play in a hi-fi only. This would certainly be of interest to me, if my business were selling audio CDs that I didn't want someone else to rip/copy. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Plug

PS and the obvious way round it would be to connect the hi-fi to the computer via an audio cable and use something like Audacity to record the tracks..