closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Am I right to be annoyed?

Am I right to be annoyed?

I recently bought a Davosa vintage diver (quartz) from another forum, it wasn't a huge amount of money and when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, the quality overall was better than expected and even the supplied leather strap was the most comfortable I have ever worn

I was browsing their website a few days after receiving the watch and I noticed that they were now selling this watch on a jubilee bracelet, I decided to email them to see if they would supply it separately, they replied saying that the bracelet was available and would cost 94 euros delivered

The bracelet arrived today and I am astonished at how bad this thing is! The end links are hollow, the bracelet itself is lightweight and ratty, the clasp is laughably bad and it is put together using split pins

Now I wasn't expecting anything amazing but I have thrown away Chinese £1 bracelets that have been better than this, I decided to put it on the watch and it feels like the slightest knock and it will snap

I know its peanuts in the grand scheme of things but compared to what CW/steinhart offer at a similar price I am amazed

I will put it down to experience and maybe people will wonder why I bothered to post this but maybe someone will benefit from reading this one day and avoid buying one

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you 'right' to be annoyed you ask?

probably if that kind of thing annoys you. I'd be more disappointed I have to say but then your eye is your judge on these things.

Don't let it spoil what you obviously like in the watch itself.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Are you 'right' to be annoyed you ask?

probably if that kind of thing annoys you. I'd be more disappointed I have to say but then your eye is your judge on these things.

Don't let it spoil what you obviously like in the watch itself.

Jim
    Ok perhaps disappointed is a better way of putting it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Ok perhaps disappointed is a better way of putting it
    I would say €94 is quite a lot in the grand scheme of things, considering what you can buy from Strapcode for for around £35. Could you not sen it back if you bought it online?

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I would say €94 is quite a lot in the grand scheme of things, considering what you can buy from Strapcode for for around £35. Could you not sen it back if you bought it online?
    I suppose I should have asked for some information before committing to buy as they bracelet was not advertised on the website

I assumed that it would be a reasonable quality item, I suppose I have been spoilt in the past

Craftsman
    Can you not send it back for a refund?? Not fit for use maybe??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    Can you not send it back for a refund?? Not fit for use maybe??

I think because I unwrapped it and fitted it I would feel cheeky asking but I have emailed them expressing my disappointment

Craftsman
    I think because I unwrapped it and fitted it I would feel cheeky asking but I have emailed them expressing my disappointment
    If you did not unwrap it you would not know if it was good or bad. Maybe fitting it could put a block on it.
    But nothing wrong with being cheeky at times.
    Plus if you don't ask you will never know!!

Did you pay with PayPal or credit card?

If it is not of reasonable quality (and for the price you paid it should be) I think you have grounds to return for refund.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    If you did not unwrap it you would not know if it was good or bad. Maybe fitting it could put a block on it.
    But nothing wrong with being cheeky at times.
    Plus if you don't ask you will never know!!

Indeed, shy bairns get nowt, as we say up here!
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks all

I will see how they respond to the email, I paid by PayPal but to be honest I should have done my homework before excitedly handing over the cash

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

Keep us posted.

J

Are we talking about the Davosa website or another retailer?

If it's a vintage diver then hollow end links, pins and rattly construction are part of the vintage charm. It's why I love the jubilee that comes with the Seiko SKX

Can we see some pics of the watch and bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Are we talking about the Davosa website or another retailer?

If it's a vintage diver then hollow end links, pins and rattly construction are part of the vintage charm. It's why I love the jubilee that comes with the Seiko SKX

Can we see some pics of the watch and bracelet?
    It was Davosa

There is a bit of me that wonders if the bracelet is supposed to be that way to fit the vintage vibe (in other words terrible)

I will post some pics

Here's a dark pic, whilst taking this a springbar popped out and the watch nearly fell off

Here's a dark pic, whilst taking this a springbar popped out and the watch nearly fell off

I've just done a search and found them. I quite like the red bezel version.

I had a Davosa Ternos and it was pretty solid – about the same price and quality as Steinhart – but the minute hand was shy of the markers by a few mm, which bugged me so I flipped it.

The springbar popping out will be it not seated properly in the lug hole. I've done it a few times, when I think it's all good then give it a pull to check and the bracelet just pings off.

I've just done a search and found them. I quite like the red bezel version.

I had a Davosa Ternos and it was pretty solid – about the same price and quality as Steinhart – but the minute hand was shy of the markers by a few mm, which bugged me so I flipped it.

The springbar popping out will be it not seated properly in the lug hole. I've done it a few times, when I think it's all good then give it a pull to check and the bracelet just pings off.
    Yeah cheers, it needed a wiggle and it popped home although I am sure it was in earlier so who knows if it will stay there

Its a good cheap watch, I think I have been spoilt by Eddies/CW/Steinhart/Square etc and maybe a cheap ratty bracelet was their aim, who knows?

It's not uncomfortable so perhaps it will grow on me, certainly looks/feels vintage

The watch looks good though Craig, what do you think of it?

I thought it was only fair to give an update

Davosa were very good to be honest, they offered a refund if I sent the bracelet back to Germany which is very fair considering the item is not faulty

There is 2 reasons I have not yet taken them up on their offer, first of all the bracelet cost me 10 euros to ship and presumably it would cost the same to return so 20 euros and no bracelet, keeping the bracelet at this point (in my head) is costing me 74 euros (£65) extra

The second reason is that I don't hate it, even though everything about it was/is disappointing I have worn it on the watch and it just disappears, it is so light and really quite comfortable that it has charm

If Davosa was looking to replicate a bracelet that you would expect to find on a 50yr old watch they have nailed it, whether that's a good thing I'm not sure yet :)

I’m not really a fan of bracelets but I’ve always found the ones that feel poor quality are more comfortable than the more substantial feeling ones.

As watches have risen stratospherically in price over the last few years, I’ve noticed how heavy and over engineered a lot of bracelets have become. Perhaps I’m being cynical, but making a fancy, heavy bracelet and doubling the price of the watch seems like a canny marketing move as it the perception of quality rises with mo real change to the watch itself at all. A lot of vintage bracelets are light and strong, without the weight of a handcuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm a bit surprised as i've only had one Davosa and i must say it was superb quality. Saying that it was a Davosa Gentleman Classic on leather (great little dress watch) so no direct experience of their bracelets.

Sounds like their vintage Jubilee is a bit ropey but i was once toying with the idea of picking up their 40mm Ternos Diver on oyster (their Sub homage) and the reviews i read at the time had nothing bad to say about it. Solid end links, screwed links, although the clasp looks a bit tinny perhaps. If you still want it on a bracelet maybe consider the oyster if it fits (they would tell you i'm sure), but perhaps that kind of misses the point of trying to maintain the vintage vibe..?

Also if it's any use i also recall reading a few times that the case and bracelet on the Ternos Ceramic and the Squale 20 ATMOS are machined identical and manufactured by the same case maker, although you're probably better going through Davosa if you decide to do anything else.

Last edited by WillHarris2306; 21st October 2018 at 12:24.

As far as I know it is the only 39mm case that Davosa offer so I think this bracelet is the only option, I actually now think that the bracelet matches the watch perfectly

Clasp

As far as I know it is the only 39mm case that Davosa offer so I think this bracelet is the only option, I actually now think that the bracelet matches the watch perfectly

Clasp

I think it looks good. It's a bit like the Uncle Seiko Z199 bracelet on my 6309 or the Omega 1171. Both are tinny and jangly but actually hard as nails

Craftsman
    I think it looks good. It's a bit like the Uncle Seiko Z199 bracelet on my 6309 or the Omega 1171. Both are tinny and jangly but actually hard as nails

I agree, I have a forty six year old seiko with a rattly jubilee on it, the most comfortable bracelt I have, the only one I have never taken off to replace with a strap. I know the omega and nreitling bracelets are a thing of beauty, but as far as comfort goes..cant beat the jubilee..