closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: any way to remove a strap? vintage omega constellation

Grand Master

any way to remove a strap? vintage omega constellation

recently bought a very nice gold capped constellation, and i need to put a longer strap on.
    sadly for me whoever fitted the (very nice) omega strap originally has used tubes....aaaargh! as the watch is gold capped i'm really wary of just using something braced against the case to force them to bend and ideally i'd like to not wreck the omega leather. ideas?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Hi Jon,

Whoever's fitted the strap wrongly wants his arse kicking.

I`m guessing someone's used shoulderless bars, leaving nothing to get a tool under. Apart from sacrificing the strap, which you obviously won't want to do, the only way I can suggest is to pull the springbar as far as possible to one side, hopefully this will reveal sufficient of the end pin to insert a thin-bladed craft knife and attempt to tease the pin back into the bar. If it moves a very small distance you can keep pressure on the pin by pulling, then have a another go with the knife blade. This may move it a fraction of a mm each time and eventually you'll get the end out.

This is obviously a hazardous process, craft knives and fingers are a bad combination, craft knife blades and gold cases are a bad combination too. If you try this please take adequate precautions, I've used this trick in the past but you do need to be careful.

If you try to use force to lever the bar against the case, something like a flat wooden lolly stick (or two) slid in between the case and strap might work. Provided you use a tool that's softer than the metal, and spread the pressure, you should be OK. The lolly stick springs to mind because I`ve just been using one, I make my own abrasive boards for case refinishing and it's the only way to get the correct grade I want.

If you're really struggling I guess it could have a trip to Wakefield........I'd get it off without damaging the case and probably without marking the strap.

Paul

Precision snips? Just cut the spring bar whilst making the case as steady as possible e.g. clamped with padding, and the strap being held/pulled away from the lug e.g. with floss, and the snips should be able to just about get to the spring bar without damaging either the case or strap.

Grand Master
    thanks paul , pm incoming

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Hi Jon,

Whoever's fitted the strap wrongly wants his arse kicking.

I`m guessing someone's used shoulderless bars, leaving nothing to get a tool under. Apart from sacrificing the strap, which you obviously won't want to do, the only way I can suggest is to pull the springbar as far as possible to one side, hopefully this will reveal sufficient of the end pin to insert a thin-bladed craft knife and attempt to tease the pin back into the bar. If it moves a very small distance you can keep pressure on the pin by pulling, then have a another go with the knife blade. This may move it a fraction of a mm each time and eventually you'll get the end out.

This is obviously a hazardous process, craft knives and fingers are a bad combination, craft knife blades and gold cases are a bad combination too. If you try this please take adequate precautions, I've used this trick in the past but you do need to be careful.

If you try to use force to lever the bar against the case, something like a flat wooden lolly stick (or two) slid in between the case and strap might work. Provided you use a tool that's softer than the metal, and spread the pressure, you should be OK. The lolly stick springs to mind because I`ve just been using one, I make my own abrasive boards for case refinishing and it's the only way to get the correct grade I want.

If you're really struggling I guess it could have a trip to Wakefield........I'd get it off without damaging the case and probably without marking the strap.

Paul
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!