closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What does £10k buy in respect of a decent Pepsi?

Blog Entries

What does £10k buy in respect of a decent Pepsi?

Howdy folks, got a little windfall coming my way and have always had a hankering for a Pepsi but massively afraid of the minefield that this area seems to be.

So some advice from those in the know, if you had £10k to buy a Rolex Pepsi what would you buy, what to look out for and realistically what are the chances of actually finding an example? I know prices are strong right now so I'm worried the budget isn't enough but let's see what's possible.

Appreciate I've left this fairly vague but figured it was a good chance to broaden my knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Master
    Buy mine and have a load of change left!!
    Rolex GMT coke, Pepsi and black options!16710
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Timing wise, that looks to be a sign

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Timing wise, that looks to be a sign
    Good luck in your search even if it’s not mine. Great watches, a modern classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you’re willing to go towards the top of your budget I’d be looking for a 16750.

Perfect mix of vintage looks and modern convenience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    If you’re willing to go towards the top of your budget I’d be looking for a 16750.

Perfect mix of vintage looks and modern convenience.
    Happy to spend the lot, anything particularly appealing to look out for, eg dial variant etc?

With a £10k budget, I'd also be looking for a nice 16750 - best of both worlds in terms of looks + functionality. It wasn't long ago that I sold a minter for about £5k, but now expect to pay about £8.5k for a decent one.

What does £10k buy in respect of a decent Pepsi?

I’m not planning to sell mine anytime soon, although things may change at some point. I’m on the list for the new Pepsi and not 100% sure what to do.

However for a guide, mine is a year 2000 16710. On a new Pepsi insert with original Coke and Black inserts included. Beautiful condition.
    Full set including everything.

I’d guess I’d be around the £8k.

IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    Last edited by Nairn1980; 18th October 2018 at 07:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Howdy folks, got a little windfall coming my way and have always had a hankering for a Pepsi but massively afraid of the minefield that this area seems to be.

So some advice from those in the know, if you had £10k to buy a Rolex Pepsi what would you buy, what to look out for and realistically what are the chances of actually finding an example? I know prices are strong right now so I'm worried the budget isn't enough but let's see what's possible.

Appreciate I've left this fairly vague but figured it was a good chance to broaden my knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.

I was once sent this< I found it very useful before buying a 16710

They are all great watches so you must decide what your priorities are when looking for a GMT or GMT II.

The GMT 1675 was made for roughly two decades - 1960 to 1980. The early ones had glossy dials with gilt printing which you'll find from around 1960 until 1966 when the dial was changed to the matte black dials with white lettering. The 1675 model has an acrylic crystal and non quick-set date feature. Beginning around 1972, the 1675 received the hacking seconds hand feature which allows you to stop the sweep seconds hand when the winding crown is pulled all the way out. This is called hacking. The 24-hour hand can not be set independently on this model.

The GMT 16750 replaced the GMT 1675 and started to appear around 1980 and it too has an acrylic crystal like the 1675 model. The 16750 has a different movement than the 1675 and an additional feature not found on the 1675 which is the quick-set date. The early 16750s had a matte dial and appear similar to a 1675. The 24-hour hand can not be set independently on this model like the 1675 model. Around 1984, the 16750 dial was changed to add a glossy dial with gold surround markers which are found on the remainder of the GMT models up to today. Many collectors prefer the 16750 with the matte dial (circa 1980 to 1984) over the glossy dials with the gold surround markers. Additionally, the quick-set date feature found of the 16750s is another plus to many collectors when compared to the 1675 model.

The GMT II, model 16760 was introduced during 1983 and discontinued around 1989 and has a different movement than the previous GMT 1675 and 16750. It features a sapphire crystal and a semi quick-set date feature where the hour hand can be adjusted independently of the 24-hour hand. The case on the 16760 model, also referred to as the "Fat Lady," is larger than the previous models and larger than the GMT 16700 and GMT II 16710 models.

The GMT II 16710 replaced the 16760 around 1989. The 16710 has a case that is a little smaller than than 16760. Production runs from around 1989 through around 2006. Many collectors consider the 16760 vintage due to its age and short production run when compared to the 16710. The internals of the 16760 and 16710 are the same except for the last couple years of the 16710 production which had some minor movement modifications.

The GMT 16700 replaced the GMT 16750 around 1989 and ceased production around 1999. It shares the same movement as the GMT 16750 and also has the quick-set date feature. It was made during the same time period as the 16710 but in lesser quantities than the 16710.

Bezel inserts varied through the years with the GMT 1675 originally available with the red/blue "Pepsi" insert and later during the 1970s, a black insert became an option on this model. The GMT 16750 was available with the "Pepsi" or black insert. The GMT II 16760 was only available with the red/black "Coke" insert. The GMT II 16710 was available with black, "Pepsi" or "Coke" inserts. The GMT 16700 was available with the black insert or the "Pepsi" insert.

In choosing a specific model, you must decide what it is that you want in your GMT. If you want something vintage that has collector value, the 1675 would be a good choice or the 16750 with the quick-set date feature.

If you want a sapphire crystal, the GMT II 16760 is hard to beat with its short production run. The GMT 16700 is also another model to consider with a short production run.

The current model is far to blingy and frankly looks awful, so best stay with one of the models quoted above.

Master
    You could get this absolute peach

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...750-GMT-Master

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    That's what I was thinking