closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can I wear my watch for, well, anything at all?

Master

Can I wear my watch for, well, anything at all?

So, I've just bought this brand new watch, right, and I was wondering if I should actually wear it. For anything at all. It's just that I can see through the case that it's like, really really fragile - lots of little gears and wheels and this thing that turns backwards and forwards that I think makes it tick. It obviously won't stand up to being worn, why, the slightest bump could damage it. And if I take it out in the rain won't it enter the watch and cause it to rust? Also, I presume that the motion of it being, like carried on my wrist will foul up the mechanism. What should I do? Help me out, please, TZ-UK, you're my only hope!

Maybe you could rent a space for it in the window of a jewellers, you could then look at it with much reduced risk.

Journeyman
    Regarding watches, anything and everything is fraught with danger. Best keep it in the box and take it out to look at when safe to do so and whatever you do don't wind it up, you'll only wear it out.
    Last edited by Robert189598; 17th October 2018 at 20:46.

Master
    As I said before, you're right, its too risky. Seal it in a lump of perspex and lock it in a safe, then weld the safe door shut and bury the safe in concrete. Its the only way to keep it safe. You don't get my enjoyment or use out of it though.....

Watches are only to be worn in the event of Mutually Assured Destruction, you will have four minutes to enjoy your *PP/AP/HUBLOT/RICHARD MILLE/OMEGA/TUDOR/ROLEX* before waving goodbye.

**please delete those you do not own.

Master
    You joke, but I know one enthusiast who is terrified to wear any of his watches in case they get a mark or tiny scratch. So they sit, lonely in their original boxes, unloved but pristine.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You joke, but I know one enthusiast who is terrified to wear any of his watches in case they get a mark or tiny scratch. So they sit, lonely in their original boxes, unloved but pristine.
    I’m not quite that bad, but I can relate to it! I have a 1969 steel Omega that’s got lots of contrasting finishes and edges, polished, brushed and grained surfaces . I refinished it a couple if years ago and it was v. difficult to get it just right. I’d hate to get it scratched/ damaged, so I hardly ever wear it.

Before it was refinished I was far less precious about it. Sad but true.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Maybe you could rent a space for it in the window of a jewellers, you could then look at it with much reduced risk.
    They could also look after the guarantee card and stickers for extra piece of mind.

No...except for quick wrist shots - - INDOORS!

Master
    Sell it. Watch ownership is not for everyone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Sell it. Watch ownership is not for everyone.
    Tell that to Mick.

Blog Entries
    OP - Judging by some of the SC posts - you are not alone. Often watches are sold BNIB - ‘stickered up’, only worn once in the house carefully etc etc. I do wonder about our group mentality on here. It’s not like they are not mass produced items dispite what the marketing machines tell us.

Personally, I like to wear my watches, though I don’t abuse them intentionally.

Just stirring the hornets nest here.

Craftsman
    Make sure you leave the protective plastic on, should be fine then, that stuff'll keep magma at bay.