closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Visiting Austin, Texas.

Visiting Austin, Texas.

We are looking like we will be off to Texas in late November, as my Wife-to-be will be doing a work visit out there, so I will be tagging along too and I will have a working week in Austin. We are planning on staying on after for up to a week to visit some friends over in Tucson, Arizona.

I'm generally interested in Architecture, Photography, Walking. Happy just to explore.

So, the question, does anyone have any recommendations of things to do in the Austin area, during the working week?

Master
    It's been a while (early 90's) since I was there.
    6th street is the obvious one, lots of opportunity to have some fun and photograph the human condition.
    The Oasis on lake Travis has some spectacular sunset views.
    The state capitol and UT have some nice architecture.
    It's really a place that you need to wander and discover, or have a local that can show you the hidden treasures as it's just that kind of place, or at least it was.

Be aware though that November can be really cold so take some appropriate clothing, my Austinite Facebook friends were complaining that the temperature had gone from 28c to 7c within 24 hours recently which gives you a clue as to the variability of the weather there.

Master
    Not on your list, but Austin’s a great place to see some live music, renowned for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only two things in life that make it worth livin' is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women.
    Go to Luckenbach Texas with Waylon, Willie and the boys.

To the west of Austin.

Wouldn’t bother with the Alamo at San Antonio if you wander to the south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If I ever go to Austin I will ensure that I go and meet Rex and Daniel from The Whisky Vault

http://austinwhiskyvault.com/

They have an awesome YouTube channel which is worth a watch if you want to know more about how whisk(e)y and bourbon is made with a little bit of comedy thrown in

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEl...5r1eg8VjhFNARw

I lived there for a year and a half so can recommend a few things.

Its a shame about the time of year as you could get some dodgy weather but I can think of a few things of the top of my head;

1. Visit the Capitol building - free entry and as you like architecture worth doing - the frost building is just up the road from it and makes a great photographic subject at night when lit up.
    2. Food - get yourself to some of the local BBQ joints. I can recommend Rudys, La Barbecue and Franklins (if you can get in) - also lots of great food trucks. I recommend trying the Monte Cristo if you go to http://www.heyyougonnaeatorwhat.com
    3. If you like Motorcycles at all Revival Motorcycles (who run the handbuilt motorcycle show every year) have a small but cool shop north of the river.
    4. Watch the bats at Congress Bridge
    5. Depending on the weather Kayaking or SUP on the Colorado (also known as town lake or lady bird lake) can be good fun - details are here https://www.rowingdock.com/rentals/
    6. if you like walking and don't fancy the kayak you can walk up and down both sides of the lake with bridge crossings up and down the river.
    7. Bull creek is a nice spot for some river walking if the weather is ok.
    8. Hamilton pool is very nice but can get busy if the weather is nice https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/par...-pool-preserve - again may be the wrong time of the year for it.
    9. Go to the Alamo Drafthouse cinema (there are a few). If you can coincide your visit with a Master Pancake Theater they are a real experience https://drafthouse.com/series/master-pancake

I know some of that won't be of interest but hopefully at least some might be. I miss it loads and hope you enjoy your visit.

Rob.

Craftsman
    We spent a few days there last October. Other than things already mentioned, if you like a bit of history the LBJ Presidential Library was very interesting.

Craftsman
    San Antonio is only 80 miles to the south you could go and see the Alamo.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    San Antonio is only 80 miles to the south you could go and see the Alamo.
    The Alamo is ok but a bit underwhelming IMO. The San Antonio river walk is nice though so if you combine the visit to do both its worthwhile.

Highly recommend a hour picking up bargains at the San Marcos outlets Gucci store, its on the road about half way to San Antonio.

Amazing, thanks guys!

I'll have a look through and chat with the other half!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Crane shooting, ribeye of the sky!!

mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    The Alamo is ok but a bit underwhelming IMO. The San Antonio river walk is nice though so if you combine the visit to do both its worthwhile.
    Been in San Antonio a few times and always found the Alamo interesting and the diversity of those killed but must agree the river walk is well worth doing as to Austin many years ago but the LBJ library is a possibility or if you are into music it was a great scene and can only presume the tradition has carried on but whatever enjoy and if up to it 24 ozs of dead cow and a few longhorns.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    We are looking like we will be off to Texas in late November, as my Wife-to-be will be doing a work visit out there, so I will be tagging along too and I will have a working week in Austin. We are planning on staying on after for up to a week to visit some friends over in Tucson, Arizona.

I'm generally interested in Architecture, Photography, Walking. Happy just to explore.

So, the question, does anyone have any recommendations of things to do in the Austin area, during the working week?
    Eat. Austin has some of the best BBQ in the world. Texas barbecue means brisket, cooked slowwww. Franklin gets all of the press, but I like La Barbeque myself. Here's a more comprehensive list.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/austin...nts-in-austin#

The Austin music scene is also very good, and the great bars can be counted in bunches, so that's a handy pair.

Salt Lick.

Bats.

There are some very cool caves nearby, but I don't remember what they're called.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Salt Lick.

Bats.

There are some very cool caves nearby, but I don't remember what they're called.
    Longhorn caverns?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve been a few times, echo a visit to the capitol building and 6th street, but would advise against inadvertently waking into a sex shop on 6th street with your mother as I did...
    The Alamo is really underwhelming, but river walk good for an afternoon/evening and San Marcos was great outlets when I last went (when the pound was worth something)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk