closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Flask recommendation for tea

Vacuum Flask recommendation for tea

Can anyone recommend a high performing vacuum flask that will keep tea hot all day?

I recently bought a Chiily’s flask on a recommendation but it is not keeping the tea hot enough for long enough and the tea / milk is curdling after about 6 hours, (pretty rank when you swig from the flask without realising!) I need something that is going to keep sufficient heat for approx 10 hours.

I have a Sho food flask that performs well for my hot food but really want something to keep my tea nice and hot to the end of the day. Anything around a litre would be ideal.

I did a search but only found an older heads up on flasks for sale, apologies if this has been done before but I didn’t find much on it and I would wager that there are some flask aficionados out there that could help with this.

Many Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    You cannot beat a Stanley flask. I have had one for years and going strong.

I recall Dave having strong opinions on this subject

Go to Amazon and search for “Zojirushi Stainless Steel Non-Stick Vacuum Travel Mug, 600 ml (1 Pint) - Black”

I have numerous vacuum flasks, including several of the Stanleys mentioned above.

The Zojirushi is, without exception, the best of the lot.

To give some real-life practical examples.....

When working from home or commuting up to town I can make tea or coffee in the morning and at the end of the day it is still almost too hot to drink.

Often, on two day European trips, I will drink some coffee in the car on the way to the airport the first morning and it is still warm enough to drink when I return the next day.

After a whole day spent in the mountains of Croatia in winter the coffee I made was still steaming hot when I got back to the hotel.
    I bought mine in September 2017 and it is still going strong.

I have no connection to them other than being an (extremely) satisfied and impressed user.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ll second that. I had one a few years ago and it was nothing short of amazing.

One the worst winters in my particular neck of the woods, old dozy here managed to land a night shift. I’ve never forget it, 8-9 hours outside in -8°c and at the end of the shift the coffee was barely drinkable without scalding my mouth.

I’ve tried practically all the major brands in my time, trust me Zojirushi are head and shoulders above the rest.

Master
    In my opinion, tea that has been kept in a flask for a couple of hours tastes ghastly because it is stewed. Coffee in a flask yes but tea never.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I recall Dave having strong opinions on this subject
    Me too. Very few listen though. So I will go mx-5 on this one.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Stanley flask. Been using them since 1982 in the army then the police, you can not go wrong. Drove over one once by mistake and it was a funny shape but still did its job until I got a replacement as it no longer stood up.
    or...spend more (or less) on something else and wish you had gone Stanley!
    Last edited by Carl.1; 17th October 2018 at 13:13.

Grand Master
    Top tip to improve the performance of your flask, put a small wad of kitchen roll under the outer lid. A good thermos flask loses most of its heat through the top, this helps to insulate it better.

If you want the contents to remain hot for several hrs it pays to wrap the flask up in something. Even a plastic bag will help, it’s all about insulation.

As a kid I rememer having a flask with a separate compartment in the base to take a custom- fit bottle. The idea was to put milk in it and add it to tea in the flask when required.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In my opinion, tea that has been kept in a flask for a couple of hours tastes ghastly because it is stewed. Coffee in a flask yes but tea never.
    +1......... tea with milk in a flask doesn’t work IMO!

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I bought an Argos stainless steel flask for £5 which is the same as the Wilko one currently on their Website.

This keeps my tea hot for around 9 hrs.
    The trick is boil the kettle and pour this in the flask.
    Make a large mug of tea and microwave it for 60 seconds once made.
    Empty water in flask and pour mug of tea into the flask.

It will stay hot for 9 hrs.

I have a Contigo thermal mug which only keeps my drink warm for around 4/5 hours despite adopting the same method of pre warming the flask.

B.

Stanley are sh1t. You need the thermos ultimate 900ml.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Stanley are sh1t. You need the thermos ultimate 900ml.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Yes, if you like the whole homage thing. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Yes, if you like the whole homage thing. ;)
    Is nothing about the homage. It's about the technology. Maybe you're thinking of the King range?

Anyway, I'll try and desist from contributing to this thread again. I'm beginning to bore even myself.

Journeyman
    I got one of these - I have to leave the top off to cool as the drinks too hot to drink !

Hiwill Double Walled Vacuum Insulated Travel Coffee Mug, Stainless Steel Flask, Sports Water Bottle, 450ml

Master
    My top tip for taking tea in a thermos is to actually just make a thermos full of hot water and take teabags and some portions of UHT and sugar if you have them in your tea.

It tastes like an actual cup of tea with none of the awful changed taste you normally get with a thermos. I do this every time now and yes you do have to have a little faff making the cuppa but it’s *totally* worth it if you can’t stand how thermos tea normally tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    My top tip for taking tea in a thermos is to actually just make a thermos full of hot water and take teabags and some portions of UHT and sugar if you have them in your tea.

It tastes like an actual cup of tea with none of the awful changed taste you normally get with a thermos. I do this every time now and yes you do have to have a little faff making the cuppa but it’s *totally* worth it if you can’t stand how thermos tea normally tastes.
    This (minus the UHT, have standards! )
    Added bonus is that you keep your thermos free of taste, smell and stains.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Following a previous recommendation on here or mumsnet, I bought a Thermos Ultimate Series flask. Can't recommend it enough, excellent quality and keeps its contents red hot all day.

Thanks all, due to being able to use nectar points that I have and the larger capacity, Argos will be one Thermos Ultimate down by the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I like the tartan ones. Just don't drop them or you'll have to strain yer tea.

Master
    What are you using it for? I just take a jetboil and make a proper brew every couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Thanks all, due to being able to use nectar points that I have and the larger capacity, Argos will be one Thermos Ultimate down by the end of the week.

Decision good you have made. Regret it not you will.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Go to Amazon and search for “Zojirushi Stainless Steel Non-Stick Vacuum Travel Mug, 600 ml (1 Pint) - Black”
    I agree, we have a couple of those as well, mine is brown. And yes, by the end of the day the coffee is just about drinkable.

The only problem with them is my wife finishes her coffee at the start of our five hour journey whereas I like to leave mine until towards the end when it's a good temperature and I really need a coffee. But from three hours in she just likes to occasionally "have a little sip" from mine.

Craftsman
    Whatever flask you have, fill with boiling water first to get the flask up to temperature, make your tea/coffee in a pre-warmed pot/kettle/pyrex jug and then transfer it to the flask. Take your milk separately and add that when you pour your drink out.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Zojirushi. I’ve had mine about 6 years (purchased after a recommendation here) and it’s a fantastic piece of kit. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

Just using it for tea, I do all the usual preheat etc but the chillys flask is pretty cac and the first time I have had this happen.

Premixed flask tea isn't the best but I go out with so much paraphernalia already that separate boiling, tea making, milk really isn't an option, after a 10-12 hour turn out I just want my pants flask tea to be hot. I'm not adverse to coffee either, which I will grant does taste better... but I always worry about getting the dog sh1t breath that I smell on some others!

Craftsman
    Just using it for tea, I do all the usual preheat etc but the chillys flask is pretty cac and the first time I have had this happen.

Premixed flask tea isn't the best but I go out with so much paraphernalia already that separate boiling, tea making, milk really isn't an option, after a 10-12 hour turn out I just want my pants flask tea to be hot. I'm not adverse to coffee either, which I will grant does taste better... but I always worry about getting the dog sh1t breath that I smell on some others!

g

Yep, coffee drinkers have the breath of a dogs anus.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re

Imo Stanley flasks are now made in China quality control has worsened.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Used one of these on nights.

Pre-warmed with some boiling water at 18:00. Hot coffee added.

Still piping hot at 06:00.

Highly recommended.

May I make some casual observations :

-Heat retention is greatly affected by cubic capacity : the larger the volume, the far hotter the liquid is going to remain for longer periods (in flasks of identical thermal efficiency)

- one of the main benefits of the ultimate series is its weight. Check the specs against flasks of similar size. The Stanley's mentioned here for example (as well as being poor performers imo) are extremely heavy. You can add another kilo for a full 1 litres worth of liquid. Alright if you're driving everywhere, but you might not like to lug that puppy around on the tube with you on the way to work every day. You need to get the right flask for your needs.

- lid design is crucial. This is where most of the heat will escape. However, the lid also has to be easily cleanable. On most of the 'drinkable' / commuter / travel mug designs that have a lid designed to be drunk directly from, as opposed to removed, cleaning is a massive issue. This is a major downfall of contigo, etc. The thermal efficiency of the lid on the ultimate is is strong point, especially when combined with the lightness of the Flask body. I think they nailed it on this one.

I've tried all sorts of combinations. For small, drinkable flasks I like the 300ml lifeventure and the 420ml kleen kanteen. 600ml as a size doesn't work for me - it's either too big or too small. If heat retention and portability are the two main criteria, then the ultimate 900 hits the sweet spot. Test anything over 24 hours and this is where you will see the difference between having something nice and hot in the morning and a cold drink.
    Last edited by seikopath; 18th October 2018 at 20:26.

I periodically use a contigo, as it was branded as the "world's best travel mug"
    It stays hot enough for me.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but, any thoughts on cleaning these things? Mine stains, has a "musty" smell and taste taint?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    As another note, I would make sure that my flask is BPA free. Some manufacturers spray a BPA coating inside the aluminium flasks. This tends to have a super smooth surface and stop the flask from staining and tainting the drink.

B

May I make some casual observations :

-Heat retention is greatly affected by cubic capacity : the larger the volume, the far hotter the liquid is going to remain for longer periods (in flasks of identical thermal efficiency)

- one of the main benefits of the ultimate series is its weight. Check the specs against flasks of similar size. The Stanley's mentioned here for example (as well as being poor performers imo) are extremely heavy. You can add another kilo for a full 1 litres worth of liquid. Alright if you're driving everywhere, but you might not like to lug that puppy around on the tube with you on the way to work every day. You need to get the right flask for your needs.

- lid design is crucial. This is where most of the heat will escape. However, the lid also has to be easily cleanable. On most of the 'drinkable' / commuter / travel mug designs that have a lid designed to be drunk directly from, as opposed to removed, cleaning is a massive issue. This is a major downfall of contigo, etc. The thermal efficiency of the lid on the ultimate is is strong point, especially when combined with the lightness of the Flask body. I think they nailed it on this one.

I've tried all sorts of combinations. For small, drinkable flasks I like the 300ml lifeventure and the 420ml kleen kanteen. 600ml as a size doesn't work for me - it's either too big or too small. If heat retention and portability are the two main criteria, then the ultimate 900 hits the sweet spot. Test anything over 24 hours and this is where you will see the difference between having something nice and hot in the morning and a cold drink.
    Dave

Solid points all.

With regards to the lids, the Zojirushi is a "drinkable" type lid but easily removed and dis-assembled for cleaning, leaving a wide-mouthed flask that is also easily cleaned. The lid locks shut, so it cannot be accidentally opened if the flask is being carried in a rucksack or similar.

As to weight, the 600ml Zojirushi weighs 340g empty. The 900ml Thermos Ultimate weighs 399g, though of course it is bigger. The 500ml Thermos Ultimate weighs 299g, but again is a little smaller.

Regarding the 24 hour test, see my practical examples quoted before. The drink I make at 04:00 one morning and sip from on the way to the airport is still warm enough to enjoy the next evening when I drive back home. 36 hours seems pretty good to me, and that's without pre-warming the flask.

I realise I sound like a walking advert for the Zojirushi, but I have been really impressed with them. The Stanleys are good too, and I have two of their 1.9L Classic Legendary's. I also had the 500ml Thermos Ultimate in the past. It worked fine until one day after about 16 months of ownership I realised the outside skin was suddenly getting warm. No idea what happened, presumably a breach of the inner flask, but that was the end of Thermos for me.

Sigg - keeps hot all day, lots of sizes.

Tea does not keep well in a flask all day IMHO - if I have a tea day Just fill with boiling water and take some milk and tea bags separately. Make the brew when I feel like it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Little bit of thermos love... the tea is made and in the flask waiting to be checked in the morning, 14 hours should be a good test.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    I periodically use a contigo, as it was branded as the "world's best travel mug"
    It stays hot enough for me.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but, any thoughts on cleaning these things? Mine stains, has a "musty" smell and taste taint?
    Not all of us know what a taint tastes like :)
    When I want to clean bad stains in mugs and cups I use Steradent, it's brilliant

It's sort of tastes of potatoes :)

Will give steradent a try, thanks.

Good choice OP.

I’ve had a Thermos Ultimate for 20+ years, it’s superb, taken it away on Golf overnight breaks and still been able to drink piping hot coffee when I’ve got home 36 hours after leaving home. An amazing bit of kit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Little bit of thermos love... the tea is made and in the flask waiting to be checked in the morning, 14 hours should be a good test.

Great flask.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Bloke in the last picture does not look impressed with his cup of tea.

Well, then results are in, after a very unscientific test, I love this flask. I had knocked up a flask of tea yesterday before heading off to the pub, no flask pre heat, no thought to how hot it went in before sealing... well it was Friday and it was beer o’clock. Best guess it was around 75c?

The result this morning after approx 13 hours was a very drinkable drop of tea at 67.6c... I was happy with that and it tasted pretty good as well.

But it got me thinking that I really needed to get more detailed with this, so back to the laboratory for some real science.

Preheated the flask with boiling water, made a jug of tea in a Pyrex that was 81.8c once made

I then heated in the microwave to a temp of 96.6

I repeated that process to make a full 900ml of tea for the flask, the temperature of the tea before sealing this time was 93.6

I will check this later after a minimum of 12 hours if nothing even remotely more interesting presents itself to me today.

This was all done between 6:30-7am before the wife got up... needless to say when I explained my very interesting research she rolled her eyes and called me a sad git and my daughter is just amazed I’m still married.

Glad to see someone is taking this seriously.

Can't be a serious study unless you also compare the opposition using the same methods, until then it's hearsay.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Fair point, if anyone wishes to donate said competition, I am more than happy to carry out the same science on them in my hi-tech science laboratory and carry out extensive field testing... using even more science. I would unfortunately be unable to return them after subjecting them to such extensive science, so I would have to keep them!

Got this same flask after Dave’s heads up earlier in the year (or possibly last year). Never knew I ‘needed’ one but has come in very handy.

Does the yellow band have a purpose? Apologies in advance for my newbie flask question :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post

Does the yellow band have a purpose? Apologies in advance for my newbie flask question :-)
    Could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Got this same flask after Dave’s heads up earlier in the year (or possibly last year). Never knew I ‘needed’ one but has come in very handy.
    I did too. Made the mistake of not noticing the instructions were in the flask until I'd made a couple of brews!

Could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you
    Lol, I’ll be prepared for death if I get round to reading your last heads up ;-)

15 hours later and still very much hot to trot... that'll do for me.