closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Credit card fraud

Credit card fraud

5 transactions for the same amount totaling over a grand on a card I barely use. Be careful out there people!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Bugger…

Wow scary. Any ideas how they have cloned/gained the details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a debit card last week just to validate a Now TV Card, 3hrs later two transactions in Singapore, but Nationwide won’t accept that’s how they got the details.
    This was a new card, which has never been used online before.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Wow scary. Any ideas how they have cloned/gained the details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No idea.
    I last used it in June to buy two books from the US.
    I rarely use it at all. Mainly just for foreign travel, when it acts as a backup. I think I've mainly used it just to buy snacks and meals at foreign airports.
    I guess it could have got skimmed at some stage.

The lass in the fraud dept said the crims often keep card deets for six months before using them.

Too late to help in this case but I can recommend the Revolut card for people in this situation.

Its a debit card but you can control it from an app on your phone just preloading it with the amount you need when you need it. It also has the interesting add on product of virtual cards. That way you can create one for online purchase and then delete it once your transaction is complete.

Rob.

I have a revolut card also.

I've had one situation when I've tried to use revolut and the whole system was down for a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I have a revolut card also.

I've had one situation when I've tried to use revolut and the whole system was down for a day or so.
    Ah, not perfect then - but then I guess nothing is.

Revolut is best for currency exchange, otherwise there is TransferWise, Mozon, Starling and another new one I’ve forgotten the name of.

Starling is our new U.K. based bank for after our move to NL.

Master
    My wife is a second card holder on one of mine. Two weeks ago I had £5500 of unauthorised transactions on hers. We’ve only had this card maybe 3 months max. She’s used it 4 or 5 times max. Phoned the cc company and they’ve stopped them. 6 different online purchases all from big name jewellery shops in a 20 minute period.

The strange thing is the fraud department investigate but I never hear the outcome. It’s gone from my account and that’s that apparently. I asked the most likely reason for the fraud and they said it’s probably an online purchase she’s made and they e had their data breached (this has been in the news a few times).

I’m a bit OCD (over cleanliness for example) and one of them is checking all my bank accounts and credit cards online twice a day. I have to do it for work anyway for banking but I’ve added in checking the credit cards too. Meant I spotted this within a couple of hours.

Take cash from the wall and pay it in those dodgy strip joints - problem solved.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Are you sure you've not been to Caracas recently?

Craftsman
    My wife was distracted in the supermarket nearly 3 weeks ago. She had loaded up the car, took the trolley back and as she got back in the car, someone tapped on the window and pointed out some damage on the bumper telling her someone had hit it with a trolley and made a big show of pointing out someone on the other side of the car park. Anyway, she got back in the car and immediately noticed her bag was in a different position on the passenger seat. She checked and her purse was gone and so was the Good Samaritan. His accomplice had opened up the door and took her purse from her bag. She phoned me up in floods of tears and while I got in with cancelling her cards, they took 3x £300 from our Barclays account, 1x£100 and 1x£400 from our business account, £30, £100 and £200 from our Amex, £100 and £200 from our Post Office credit card and £300 from our Marks credit card. All in 5 minutes! Oh, and a quid was spent on a test purchase on Amazon. Police reckoned they watched her pay for the shopping, clocked the pin and went for her purse with that card. Unfortunately all the other cards had the same pin. I know, I know. Now corrected. All the cards/banks have refunded us in full. Worse of all was a £20 note in there that her dad made her take for petrol when she was visiting him in hospital before he died about 15 years ago. It’s been in every purse she has owned and now she’ll never see it again. The Police are just not interested. “Get us the CCTV from the supermarket and bank and if it’s good enough quality, we'll take a look at it." Useless shits.
    Last edited by Motman; 17th October 2018 at 23:27.

Craftsman
    That is a scary story, awful ordeal, I hope your wife is recovering ok.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    I used a debit card last week just to validate a Now TV Card, 3hrs later two transactions in Singapore, but Nationwide won’t accept that’s how they got the details.
    This was a new card, which has never been used online before.
    Well that's an interesting thing. I assume the CC will have checked details in under a minute...

My visa card was used for 2 small transactions and then for a bc ticket from NY to LA. Visa called me and reversed the transactions within days

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Well that's an interesting thing. I assume the CC will have checked details in under a minute...

My visa card was used for 2 small transactions and then for a bc ticket from NY to LA. Visa called me and reversed the transactions within days
    Yes, so likely to be the CC clearing company that is ‘leaky’ so, another card replaced and put away never to be hard ‘for real’ again, from now on it’ll be Revolut’s disposable CC, with a new Card Number every time.

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    That is a scary story, awful ordeal, I hope your wife is recovering ok.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

yes scary how fast they fleeced your accounts - awful about the sentimental £20 note... Lot of scumbags about these days..

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    The Police are just not interested. “Get us the CCTV from the supermarket and bank and if it’s good enough quality, we'll take a look at it." Useless shits.
    Can you complain to your Police and Crime Commissioner?

I received a text message saying “thanks for changing your address for banking” from NatWest the other week. I had been working away and not done anything of the sort. Called them, lots of talks with departments, ultimately fraud department. Had to cancel all my cards, online and app banking etc.
    Funny thing is I had to jump through hoops to get to speak to anyone, really obscure specific passwords and codes, yet they’d managed to let someone change my bloody address....
    They would not tell me how it happened (phone/online) and I half suspect an admin error rather than a hack, but my account is now on some government fraud watchlist and all sorts of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Not wanting to start another thread for this question, can anyone recommend other UK options for virtual/disposable credit cards similar to what you get with Revolut premium? What I'm getting at is, is there a cheaper way of doing it than paying the £6.99 Revolut premium subscription if you just want to use virtual CCs from time to time.

Craftsman
    I had three different cards fraudulently used at an ATM in an African country a few years back. Every occasion was soon after I’d been to the same petrol station on the A320 near Woking. I’d never been to the African country.

Barclaycard not interested in my detective work “our sophisticated fraud system will pick it up”, police not interested nor was large petrol company. Some time later article in local paper saying member of staff nicked for wiring skimmer into keypad circuit. Shame nobody listened, would have saved a lot of hassle and money for the card companies.