closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 6694.....though more like a Frankenwatch

Rolex 6694.....though more like a Frankenwatch

I wasn't sure whether to post this here but then thought "what the heck, every day is a learning day".

As background I lived in Hong Kong in the late 80`s/early 90`s and even back then I had an interest in watches. There was a shop on the island that sold vintage watches. I lusted after a rather nice JLC dress watch in the window but ended up buying this Rolex instead. Of course HK has long been home to fake Rolex, and even back then I figured the watch had a redial and a replacement case, but never actually got to see the movement.

Move on 30 years and I found it again tucked away in a drawer. I had stopped wearing it because the stem had come loose, so figuring that there was really no harm I removed the back and, lo and behold, what appears to be a correct 1225 movement (at least to my untrained eyes).

A quick tighten of the screw that holds in the stem and the watch sprang back into life.

Excuse the poor quality photos, but this is what I have:

Using the loupe and looking between the lugs I can read what are supposedly both the model number (6694) and the serial number (REGISTERED DESIGN, under which is 16109xx) which would theoretically date this watch to 1967. The crown screws down nicely, though only about half a turn, but again I have my doubts it is genuine.

The watch naturally has some sentimental value, but having not worn it for a couple of decades I can hardly describe it as an old favourite.

So my questions:

1. How much - if any - of this watch is original?
    2. What use - if any - could it be put to?
    3. Is there a way to verify if the movement is genuine?
    4. If the answer to (3) is yes, would there be any point in trying to source a period case and dial?
    5. If the answer to (3) is yes, and the answer to (4) is no, what should I do with the movement?

I’m far from an expert but I’ve had a look on google and that movement, if genuine, looks more like the earlier 1215 to me. From what I’ve read the 1225 was introduced to the 6694 at some point in 1967 so this could be one of the last versions of the 6694 produced with the 1215 calibre. Hopefully others will be of more use.
    Last edited by Danstone; 16th October 2018 at 17:46.

Many thanks - looking at Ranfft I'd say you're correct with that diagnosis.