closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Birthday present for 18 year old son

Craftsman

Birthday present for 18 year old son

Hesitate to put this on as its not mumsnet but looking for eclectic ideas and this forum has never let me down....

My eldest son is 18 on November 5th and I'm looking to get him something different, he is generally quiet and undemanding but good company although a bit sorry for himself at the moment due to a worryingly long bout of concussion so it would be good to cheer him up too.

Some suggestive guidelines:

- he doesn't really drink much if at all, although I did buy six bottles of vintage port for him when he was born which have been carefully stored since, I am informed by people that know better that now is not the time to open them
    - like many of the youth of today he doesn't wear a watch much but when he does he wears a G Shock he picked himself in Chinatown in San Francisco a few years ago
    - he doesn't wear or see the need for expensive clothes or shoes (unlike his father.....)
    - he doesn't drive, he is planning to learn next summer before uni and his grandmother has already offered to pay for that
    - he has good stuff for his hobbies but most if not all of is second hand which he is happy with (rugby boots, surfboard / wetsuit, bike, outdoor gear)
    - Loves the outdoors and skiing but has good gear already (albeit all second hand apart from walking boots) and doesn't see any need to upgrade (rents skis / boots)
    - Budget - I'm more after something that will bring a smile to his face / excite him but could stretch to 2-300 if needed

He doesn't really get the fact that presents can be something he doesn't need, and there is a bit of the fact that he has a lot of what he needs (from a first world perspective of course) as many of his activities are with me or the wider family. We are planning a nice family meal out, and we are surfing in Cornwall the week before so have a few low key nights out planned to celebrate, so you could argue a present isn't really needed, and i wont buy something for the sake of it so just checking i haven't missed anything. if not, i will put some money away for him for the inevitable rainy day.

As always many thanks for one of the last bastions of innovation, diversity and taste!!!!

Tim

I would give him something that belongs to you, one of your treasured possessions. He seems to have everything he wants or needs, and you have the 'dad time' covered to. Maybe one of your watches or a signet ring?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    an 18 yr old girl?

GoPro?

Tickets to Heineken Cup game? Assuming you can still get them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    GoPro?
    Great idea providing he doesn't have one already.

Not sure where you're based or how practical he is, but we bought my brother a kitchen knife making course for his 30th as he'll have it for the rest of his life if treated well and got to experience a bit of blacksmithing and forging as well. Could do it together as an experience?

Would work the other way too for a teenager

What about an experience? A flying lesson or similar. You never know he might develop a pasision for something he tries
    Failing that, aftershave, condoms and a few chat up lines.

Master
    I have the same dilemma x 2 this December! Twin boys and I also want to do something special. I went back and forth with what to get for them, I really wanted to get them watches but that was getting out of hand price wise. I settled on a boys only trip with myself and them, something I think they will always have the memories of and we can let lose and have a little fun.

Still might get them watches as well though.............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Some cocaine and hookers

A good pair of binoculars. Something that will last.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I have the same dilemma x 2 this December! Twin boys and I also want to do something special. I went back and forth with what to get for them, I really wanted to get them watches but that was getting out of hand price wise. I settled on a boys only trip with myself and them, something I think they will always have the memories of and we can let lose and have a little fun.

Still might get them watches as well though.............

So you’ve booked a holiday to Pattaya then

As an off the wall idea, what about a cookery course or similar at somewhere like River Cottage?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    So you’ve booked a holiday to Pattaya then
    Amsterdam...... 🤫

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    - Loves the outdoors and skiing but has good gear already (albeit all second hand apart from walking boots) and doesn't see any need to upgrade (rents skis / boots)
    How about an experience instead, possibly something you could do together depending on how active you are. If he is not feeling physically up to it after his concussion you can arrange for a time in the future that he can look forward to.

I don't have a single physical item that I treasure that was s gift from my parents at that age but I do have treasured memories of time spent in wild places with my father.

A winter skills course perhaps, ice axe arrest etc. Somewhere like Glenmore lodge.

A days private guiding/rockckimbing with a qualified mountain guide like Graham Unney.

If you want a physical object, tom gale recently made me a completely bespoke rucksack to my size and specifications to use for lightweight backpacking/wild camping. Atompacks is his website and its worth looking at his stuff on Instagram. Me makes a winter sports oriented pack. https://www.atompacks.co.uk
    You could buy a space in the queue now and he could come up with the spec himself. Pm me if you want more info.
    Last edited by jmitch; 16th October 2018 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I would give him something that belongs to you, one of your treasured possessions. He seems to have everything he wants or needs, and you have the 'dad time' covered to. Maybe one of your watches or a signet ring?
    I had a signet ring handmade and engraved for stepson’s 18th. He’s a typical modern, sport playing lad and his mother and sister were skeptical but going by the fact that he wears it most of the time I think he must like it.

Craftsman
    Many thanks to all, just the inspiration and giggle I was looking for 😎

Journeyman
    How about a drone? DJI Spark Perhaps? Small enough to travel about with and could film himself doing some of the more extreme sports he loves.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Amsterdam...... 🤫

Almost as good