closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on heating a ‘garden’ room

Master

Advice on heating a ‘garden’ room

Hi All,

Looking for a little advice. We have a ‘garden’ room that is effectively a large hand made wooden structure with outside walls on 2 sides. They are double glazed but due to the structure expanding and contracting in the different seasons we get some draughts in the winter. The upshot is that it is difficult to keep warm when it gets really cold outside. We have underfloor heating which is OK for the rest of the house but it struggles with this room. It is about 19ft x 15ft.

So, any ideas on the best way of heating this room? I bought a couple of portable heaters last year but they didn’t make much difference and I would like a more permanent solution and something that will heat the room better. Getting the draughts fixed may be an option but it will be crazy expensive and not for the time being.

Any thoughts/experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Do you have a cheap/free source of logs? In which case a log burner may be an idea. The reason other attempts are not working is the heat loss of your building. You need to improve that and/or just bung more kilowatts into the space.

Electric heating costs roughly 4x that of mains gas so logs might be the way to go.

As a temporary fix, look at site heaters on Screwfix.

Get some foil backed insulated blinds for the roof/ceiling for the winter and keep the heat you're generating in rather than it free flowing into the atmos.

How is it insulated? I built a garden office/workshop which was about 16' x 30'.

Insulated with 65mm of Rockwool, then 12.5mm plaster board and skim on top. This is all walks and roof.

Out stays warmer then the main house by quite a bit - 1 3kw electric heater is plenty.

If you're struggling, mabey you can look at fitting insulated plaster board rather than adding more heat?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Do you have a cheap/free source of logs? In which case a log burner may be an idea. The reason other attempts are not working is the heat loss of your building. You need to improve that and/or just bung more kilowatts into the space.

Electric heating costs roughly 4x that of mains gas so logs might be the way to go.

As a temporary fix, look at site heaters on Screwfix.
    The log burner might be worth a look, a bit worried about a log burner in a wooden structure though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Get some foil backed insulated blinds for the roof/ceiling for the winter and keep the heat you're generating in rather than it free flowing into the atmos.
    We have some blinds but never use them, the point of the room is the glass and views of the outside so would rather not cover up if at all avoidable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    How is it insulated? I built a garden office/workshop which was about 16' x 30'.

Insulated with 65mm of Rockwool, then 12.5mm plaster board and skim on top. This is all walks and roof.

Out stays warmer then the main house by quite a bit - 1 3kw electric heater is plenty.

If you're struggling, mabey you can look at fitting insulated plaster board rather than adding more heat?
    I don’t think it’s very insulated, very high ceilings with large wooden beams exposed. No plasterboard either as it’s bare brick where I joins to the house and glass for the outward facing walls.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I don’t think it’s very insulated, very high ceilings with large wooden beams exposed. No plasterboard either as it’s bare brick where I joins to the house and glass for the outward facing walls.

Your problem sounds like insufficient insulation of the parts of the structure that aren't made of glazing. I would investigate fixing that, plus the draughts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, insulate where you can but you are wasting your time if you are letting cold air draughts in. Do you need access to the outside?- people used to cover their draughty windows with a clear film to keep draughts out over winter.

Master
    Thanks chaps, I think I will get someone in to insulate first and the take it from there.