closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New 2018 Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris

New 2018 Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously, I did have a quick scan and didn't notice reference to these new issues.
    Personally I love the look of these ....but....for the price bracket the specs seem a little unimpressive......chrono is 'only' water resistant to 100m, three hander 200m. 38 hour power reserve. I guess the cost is down to an in-house movement? Still very nicely balanced looking watches imho.

https://uk.bucherer.com/watches/bran...oultre/polaris

You could say that most watches of this price have ‘unimpressive specs’. In the flesh I thought it looked very good. Just personal taste of course, hard to justify thousands of pounds on any watch just because of the finish.

If movements are your thing it has a particularly nice one, with a heritage traceable back quite a few years and with variants used by other well known (and more expensive) manufacturers. At least you can see the movement in this one. I think with JLeC the whole heritage, especially in respect of innovation and design of movements, either appeals or it doesn’t.

I was very 'I'm definitely going to get this' keen on the Polaris Date when it was announced but I was a little underwhelmed when I tried it on, several times....I didn't think much of the faux patina, I wanted a black dial and white markers rather than the brown/light orangey combo and the 38 hour power reserve really grated as that's the same as the Black Bay I took off to try this on. And I'm not keen on the rubber strap so that would need replacing.....and within weeks of release it went up in price by £200

Craftsman
    ditto - underhwelmed, and am a bif JLC fan..... shame. Nice but not for that money, in my humble opinion

I really like the black dial three hander and the chrono.

I tried the Memovox version and was very impressed. The strap and deployant together with a nice lug design made it wear smaller than its thickness dimensions would have you believe. Only problem... it’s ten grand plus :/
    Would have liked locking crown guards too.

I tried on both the blue and black dial three hander in March, having spent the month beforehand thinking it would probably be my next watch.

I liked it and with the curved lugs it sat very well on the wrist. In the end I was put off by the narrow bezel, as for me it made the dial too large (probably because I am too used to wearing 40mm case watches with a 30mm dial).

It's OK, but I much prefer my Deep Sea legend re-issue from 2011.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I bought the Polaris Date about a month ago and I really like it.

I wear an IWC Portuguese 7-day Automatic most days at work and although it’s really lovely, it’s not an all-rounder. I wanted something a bit tougher that I could use when I ride my bike, go skiing or go on a summer holiday (as examples) and the Polaris was the one I settled for.

For various personal reasons, I didn’t want one of the obvious choices from Rolex, Tudor, Panerai, etc and I have always been a fan of JLC, even though I haven’t owned one (I have an Atmos which is amazing, but it doesn’t fit on my wrist). So when the Polaris was announced earlier in the year I got quite excited about it.

I definitely wanted a date function, it’s incredible how much the lack of a date winds me up, even though a quick glance at my phone solves the problem. I hardly ever wear my Speedmaster because of this so it seemed silly to consider another watch that lacked it.

I looked at the Memovox version and very nearly went for it. It’s a lovely thing and the alarm function is impressive, even if I doubt I’d ever use it. It’s also really difficult (for me) to justify the £4K price hike over the date version, especially since this is a watch I intend to wear when I’m not being my most careful.

So the decision was easy in the end and I’m very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It's OK, but I much prefer my Deep Sea legend re-issue from 2011.
    I can't find much info on that one, except for maybe one photo - does it have both an internal rotating chapter ring and an external rotating bezel?

Master
    I previously had an MC Diving GMT and loved it, so thought this would underwhelm me, but I tried it on last week in Harrods (all versions, chrono, blue dial, Amvox) and it really impressed me. Perfect sized case, beautifully finished movements and the blue really popped in the light. I've got a blue dial 3 hand in my sights.