closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to ski this winter - recommendations please!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Where to ski this winter - recommendations please!

Afternoon all,

As the leaves fall, I'm starting to get excited about winter (I can't be the only one!). I know there are a few other skiers on here, so reaching out for a few recommendations...

We're looking to book 3 or 4 weeks somewhere, pretty much from the time the schools go back after Christmas until some time before Half Term.

Recommended resorts based on the following would be ideal!..
    - European Alps only as we drive down with the dogs. Most days we take them for a big walk first thing, ski for a few hours, then lunch at the chalet, walk the dogs, and afternoon a bit of work/ shopping/ eating tartiflette.
    - Mixture of terrain. We can ski pretty much anything, but are happiest cruising smooth-ish runs and nattering away as we ski down reds.
    - Probably focussing on France, mostly because cost of living is cheaper than Switzerland! It's also closer than Austria, but fairly open minded.
    - Self-catered reasonably priced chalets (if we're getting to specifics!), small "mazot" style ones are ideal, it's just the 2 of us plus the dogs. Plus our budget is best described as "lean"!

Apres-ski is a non-issue for us, we're up early and ski non-stop when we're on the slopes, so are bushed most nights. We also don't like to leave the dogs for too long, so staying close to the slopes is ideal.

Historically we've always stayed in/ around Chamonix and also La Clusaz/ Grand Bornand one year, which seems to be better priced than the Cham valley (even lift passes are much cheaper). We were in Zermatt/ Saas Fee in April and I've only just got over the prices!

But there must be lots of resorts we haven't thought of, so any advice/ places to look are most welcome. May also become useful for other folks planning their winter ski trips.

Thanks in advance

Craftsman
    I would say Portes du Soleil.

We go every year to the same place, renting a little chalet between Les Gets and Morzine. There are so many miles of good runs and each one offers something for everyone.

There is a fantastic run my kids love, which allows them to go through trees and bushes. I will find it on the map in a minute. https://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-M...teMap-2017.pdf
    Also, if you get an all area pass, you can go to Avoriaz, where you can play on the two stash parks, this is great fun for everyone. Another challenge might be skiing to Switzerland for a day.

EDIT - Its called Les Choucas, which you get to from the top of Le Rainfoilly.
    Last edited by andyb28; 15th October 2018 at 14:50.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I snowboard rather than ski, but I absolutely love Andorra.

Bit of a pig to get to (4 hour coach transfers from Toulouse or the Spanish side) but the list pass covers a huge area, the snow is usually very good and there is plenty of decent food and Apres Ski in Pas de la Casa.

If you can be bothered to spend a few hours getting to it across 3 peaks, Rossinyol is an awesome run that zig zags through huge pine trees

https://www.pasdelacasa.com/piste-map/

https://youtu.be/IQWHgFuE4hA
    https://youtu.be/3Nvi72GvFIE

I’d take a look at Vaujany which is a lovely part of the large Alp d’Huez resort, the small resort of Vaujany has the advantage of being close to the slopes.

Another great place would be Reberty in the Three Valleys, again a similar small purpose built resort between Les Menuires and Val Thorens at around 2000m, all pretty much ski in/ski out, super snow sure and pretty much my favourite restaurant in the 3V area called the Ferme d’ Reberty on your doorstep.

Another great place I’ve stayed, but far less snow sure in resort is St Jean d’Aulp, it’s a non linked part of the Port du Soleil area, it very pretty and has great but limited skiing, but a local pass is half the price of a PDS pass, but you can bus/drive to Morzine/Avoriaz for a larger area and more snow sure conditions.

Generally I favour Austria but if I drove I’d stick to France.

Enjoy!

I’m off to La Plagne for my first trip there this season, cannot wait.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I snowboard rather than ski, but I absolutely love Andorra.

Bit of a pig to get to (4 hour coach transfers from Toulouse or the Spanish side) but the list pass covers a huge area, the snow is usually very good and there is plenty of decent food and Apres Ski in Pas de la Casa.

If you can be bothered to spend a few hours getting to it across 3 peaks, Rossinyol is an awesome run that zig zags through huge pine trees

https://youtu.be/IQWHgFuE4hA
    https://youtu.be/3Nvi72GvFIE
    I have been to Pas de la Case once. I also Snowboard and it was a great resort. I personally wouldn't go there again, just because of the coach journey. There were points where I thought we were going to have to get out and push it up the hills. Additionally, some of the winding roads reminded me of a scene from The Italian Job and scared the hell out of me :p

Hemel Hempstead.

Seriously, though, if I was in France for a month I wouldn't look anywhere else but 3 valleys. Even Morzine etc. would be too small to not get very bored in that length of time. I'm bored of most smaller resorts within a week.
    Last edited by doctorj; 15th October 2018 at 14:59.

Master
    Another + from me for the 3 Valleys. Absolutely love Les Menuires, heading back there again in February. The quantity and quality of skiing there is hard to beat

I'd definitely look to move around a bit, especially if you have a car there. Any resort would start to get claustrophobic after a week or so, particularly if you're having to get back to the chalet for lunch.

We've been back to Les Gets quite a few times but it's a bit of a gamble now. Christmas before last the mountain bikes were out on Mont Cherry at New Year with a distinct lack of snow. Last year was awesome though so who really knows.

Had a great time in Alpe d'Huez last year and La Plagne has also been fun - both high enough to be snow-sure too.

Personally though, Chamonix is still my favourite resort in Europe, particularly if you have your own transport and can flit up and down the valley to find the best conditions.

So.. a week in Les Gets / Morzine followed by Argentiere then finishing in 3 Valleys somewhere.

Ifrane, the Switzerland of Morocco

I’ll be collecting up my hooves and trotting off to Obergurgl for the 27th year
    Not to all tastes and a bit off your beaten track
    Recommended if you’re anywhere near though.
    Try Chatel maybe? Good access to a wide area

Master
    Personally I like Austria, specifically the Zell am See area, it has three areas on the same ticket, Zell am See the main area which I belive now links to Saalbach range. Kaprun a lower mountain that’s normally quieter with a higher number of learners. And Kitizhorn glacier another large area up at 3000m with both wide open pistes and powder free ride areas.

I belive a number of new lifts are coming online this season.

Not sure about self catering accommodation as we normally stay in hotels we stayed in both Kaprun and Zell am See sud.

We normally drive to the lifts and each area is less than 20mins driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Personally I like Austria, specifically the Zell am See area, it has three areas on the same ticket, Zell am See the main area which I belive now links to Saalbach range. Kaprun a lower mountain that’s normally quieter with a higher number of learners. And Kitizhorn glacier another large area up at 3000m with both wide open pistes and powder free ride areas.

I belive a number of new lifts are coming online this season.

Not sure about self catering accommodation as we normally stay in hotels we stayed in both Kaprun and Zell am See sud.

We normally drive to the lifts and each area is less than 20mins driving.
    +1 for Zell am See. There is some great self catering in the Shuttdorf area which is close to the Ariet Gondola. A superb resort which I go back to year after year.

Master
    Forgot to add I normally drive if going for a couple of weeks I take the ferry to hook of holland and it’s a 10-11 hour drive from there.

Done in one day if it’s two of us, if just me then i’ll overnight in Munich and have a short drive the next day to get me on the slops for the afternoon.

Not sure how that compares to your normal drive.

Craftsman
    I'd suggest La Praz (just below Courchevel) or Les Allues (just below Meribel). Both give good access to the 3 Valleys and would meet your criteria as far as I can see. Lift pass ain't cheap but the liberty pass would be good for what you want and you save a fair bit over a few weeks assuming you don't ski when the weathers unpleasant which you wouldn't on this type of break.

Master
    As mentioned by others Portes du Soleil fits the bill pretty well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Hemel Hempstead.

Seriously, though, if I was in France for a month I wouldn't look anywhere else but 3 valleys. Even Morzine etc. would be too small to not get very bored in that length of time. I'm bored of most smaller resorts within a week.
    PDS has 650km of runs. You would need to go some to get bored of that.

[QUOTE=amnesia;4912350]I snowboard rather than ski, but I absolutely love Andorra.

Yep, I've been all over and as a boarder, if the snow is good. Andorra can be as good as anywhere.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks very much already guys. Loads of new places to look at, very much appreciated.

We did ski for a week in Saalbach 2 winters ago, great spot. Never skied 3 Valleys, PDS, Courchevel etc.

Plenty to research and much easier on HomeAway/ AirBnB now that we have a few more places to look.

We tend not to get bored (we skied the best part of 3 weeks in Les Houches one year) as we find fun exploring off-piste if we get our fill of the slopes.

Thanks again chaps.

Journeyman
    Tignes is a fantastic option. Espace Killy is a large ski area with great off piste options from the lifts when it snows. Also can be fairly cheap if you get an apartment in one of the blocks. Not sure how good it would be for walking tho, Val d’isere on the other side would be better but £££

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve just booked St Anton at the end of March for our annual lads boarding trip. Been going to Austria for 20 odd years but never been to St Anton so really looking forward to it.

We’ll be Brexiting whilst there so not a bad place to be stranded if/when the world grinds to a halt

Craftsman
    St anton is great with great apres ski which raly makes the place....some of the slopes were hard work for me though...I am intermediate at best

We did Zell last year. Was really good but a little boring in the evening...not much life in the town after dark. The skiing was excellent though, especially the glacier...was amazing up there. So open and wide slopes...

Master
    Yeah, I love Zell and Kaprun. That’s where we usually go and the area is perfect for 3/4 days away. We started going probably 15 years ago and the Apres Ski was always bouncing - The original Crazy Daisy was awesome. Over the last five years or so it has become more quiet in the evenings, possibly because of an increase in families staying? The slopes and village are vibrant enough during the day.

There was always a few decent live bands on but most seem to have disappeared now apart from “Boots” who play at the current Crazy Daisy. Ten years ago they were great but you can tell they can’t really be arsed any more and the guy who sings (Jason IIRC) really gets the hump if he thinks people aren’t paying him enough attention. He walked off stage in a huff last year after about 20mins!

Zell will be linked by cable car with Saalbach within the next few years which will be fantastic and the largest ski area in Austria I believe.
    Last edited by benny.c; 30th October 2018 at 19:05.