closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay/Paypal...I just love them! Update...Result!

Ebay/Paypal...I just love them! Update...Result!

Love them? Not at all.

Been on ebay for years, sold a few high value bits and pieces over the years and have 100% feedback, not a blemish on my record.

Decided to sell a couple of watches and the funds from those sales were to go towards a watch that I've pretty much committed to from a member on here. Watches sold last night and that was my watch purchase fund topped up; or so I thought.

It seems ebay/paypal have put a hold on those payments for up to 21 days, digging around it seems unless I meet a few criteria - sold within x number of days and some more cr*p; that's going to happen to lots of people?

To make matters worse, it seems a winning bidder is in Denmark and I have to use Ebay's Global Shipping thing - listing clearly stated UK sale only. Trying to speak to ebay is a waste of energy and I can't see how to get out of it and cancel his bid. The Ebay shipping program has less than good reviews.

Anyone else been caught out with this 21 hold on funds nonsence? Sure it's all in their T&C's but feeling mighty pe*d off just now.

David
    Last edited by jacinabox; 18th October 2018 at 16:47.

Master
    You could contact the buyer, tell them of the error and cancel the transaction as item no longer available then relist it.

Make sure when you relist, you set formal options to restrict buyers to UK.

I've used the GSP several times and had no problems.

To be honest, no matter where you sell it to, via ebay you'll have the same problems with funds withheld until you have a few recent big sales so probably best to be patient and maybe put a deposit down on watch from here.
    Last edited by stefmcd; 15th October 2018 at 11:40.

Your listing might state in the text that it's UK only but did you have the No International Postage option ticked in the listing editor? I've been caught out with this before. I suspect you didn't or the Danish buyer wouldn't have been able to bid.

I also wouldn't use the Global Shipping Service – too many horror stories for my liking. That said, Denmark's pretty safe to ship to with RM tracked and signed-for post. It should get there in about 3-4 days, but only £250 insurance cover.

Another thing to watch out for is the Click and Collect service, which I wasn't aware I was opted in to. It must have been buried in one of ebay's 20-page terms and conditions updates, which of course I never read. I only found out when a buyer had his address down as Argos in Hulme, Manchester. I queried it and he said he'd used it before as it was near his work. He was good about it when I explained I didn't want a third tier of potential problems if Argos misplace the package in their system or whatever – I've got Royal Mail to do that for me I ended up posting it to his workplace.

Master
    One day the message will sink home.

Ebay is very good for buyers as they really do look after you and do everything to prevent you from being conned.

Private sellers are no longer wanted as they are regarded as a low volume PITA. If anything goes wrong, the seller is usually deemed to be at fault and foots the bill.

Ebay wants commercial sellers who pack well, have invoice procedures, legal protection etc etc. Private sellers do not fall into this category and life is being made more difficult for them as time goes on.

The only time I sell is on a fixed price or make an offer, buyer collects with cash or BT.

Craftsman
    I have been using Ebay in the past, both for commercial and private sales. But stopped after a lot of changes happened, started with more and more complicated listing options, issues with payments, legal issues, and the global shipping nonsense really pi.... me off. I wouldnt sell anything of value on Ebay ever again. Far too risky.. I do shop on Ebay though. thants not too bad.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    One day the message will sink home.

Ebay is very good for buyers as they really do look after you and do everything to prevent you from being conned.

Private sellers are no longer wanted as they are regarded as a low volume PITA. If anything goes wrong, the seller is usually deemed to be at fault and foots the bill.

Ebay wants commercial sellers who pack well, have invoice procedures, legal protection etc etc. Private sellers do not fall into this category and life is being made more difficult for them as time goes on.

The only time I sell is on a fixed price or make an offer, buyer collects with cash or BT.

This. eBay is basically turning into Amazon without the A-Z guarantee and with extortionate payment processing.

OP, you have yet to enjoy it when the buyers say they didn't arrive or change their minds but say the items are not as described or are counterfeit. then ebay give them their money back and they keep the items.

crooks and thieves

I'm starting to get the feeling I'm not wanted as a seller...a few years ago it was a doddle to list and sell, all very easy and straightforward and I experienced no problems at all.

As has been pointed out, there are a multitude of options to faff around with when selling and tbh I thought, wrongly, if I said Uk sale only that might be enough...already spotted one buyer from Japan on my listing and it was easy enough to cancel his bid before the auction ended, my boy from Denmark slipped in at the last few seconds and I found I was stuffed.

I've sent the Danish package RMSD to the Global Shipping Center, so I hope, if it goes pear shaped, I have proof of delivery to them - after that I'm supposedly covered?
    I've asked Danish boy to leave feed back as soon as he gets the package - that might get ebay/PP to release funds earlier?
    UK buyer for second watch is a decent fellow and will leave his feedback tomorrow and "thinks" that will help funds from his buy will be freed sooner than 21 days.

I'm going to give up on selling there...it's a shame as I found it a useful platform for selling in the past, not now though.

As for my potential purchase on here, I'm sure he'll be fine but I feel a little embarrassed after telling him funds would be available today <grrr>

David

Master
    I have had problems with the GSP twice (in about 70 sales) and both times as the item arrived at the GSP from me safely, eBay refunded the buyer and rescinded negative feedback against me without even asking. I really don't know why so many people have an issue with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    I have had problems with the GSP twice (in about 70 sales) and both times as the item arrived at the GSP from me safely, eBay refunded the buyer and rescinded negative feedback against me without even asking. I really don't know why so many people have an issue with it.
    Yes, I might be naive but I also thought the GSP system meant ebay were taking the risks after it arrived at Derby....

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Yes, I might be naive but I also thought the GSP system meant ebay were taking the risks after it arrived at Derby....
    Derby? Mines gone to Lichfield.

As to the risk, once it has arrived at the GSP depot (and been signed for, its RMSD) is the risk now with ebay?...I hope so. And I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily.

David

if you think its fun now wait 5/6 months when you get a 'not as described 'or 'broken' return when paypal/ebay will them raid your account for the money back :) , as stated above already as someone selling a few things now and then its no longer worth the hassle/bother anymore on there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    Derby? Mines gone to Lichfield.

As to the risk, once it has arrived at the GSP depot (and been signed for, its RMSD) is the risk now with ebay?...I hope so. And I hope I'm worrying unnecessarily.

David
    Derby was the old GSP, Lichfield is the new one. And yes, all risk is with eBay (or Pitney Bowes as the administrator of the GSP) once it is marked as delivered there, as long as the item is valued at under the insurance limit (AFAIK £1500).

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Derby was the old GSP, Lichfield is the new one. And yes, all risk is with eBay (or Pitney Bowes as the administrator of the GSP) once it is marked as delivered there, as long as the item is valued at under the insurance limit (AFAIK £1500).
    Reassuring, thank you :)

As for getting shafted by buyers; I hope not and it never happened in the past (kiss of death in that!) We'll see.

David

Blog Entries
    A goodly number of years ago before I joined TZ-UK I was selling some cracking watches on eBay turning over several thousand pounds a month. I still buy things on eBay from time to time but never watches. What was once a good crew of buyers seemed to morph into a swarm of chancers and scammers, I was lucky never to be caught out but the winds of change did not suit my nostrils and I stopped selling anything on there about 10 years ago. In that period it only seems to have gone downhill and I would not dream of selling anything on there now or ever again.

I had my first experience of an ebay numpty recently.
    I`m a 500+ feedback, 100% positive, 14 years a member etc etc. I`ve sold thousands of pounds worth of stuff in the last year or so from a massive clear-out.
    Had a high-ish value item for sale and stated NO Paypal for this one (wary of the chargeback scam). BT/cash etc is the way to go.
    Got a lowball offer (40% less than the asking price) from a message, then another higher offer minutes after, insisting that he can pay by Paypal straight away..
    Despite my listing conditions and repeating those payment conditions in the first message (NO Paypal!) the numpty Buys-It-Now and pays by Payal immediately.
    I`m already suspicious of this dude so refund straight away and cancel the transaction.
    I then recieve my first -ve feedback saying i was trying to scam him by insisting on BT!
    Spiteful little cant.

OP as said EBay is not for sellers odds stacked badly.

Suggest you cancel the sale(s) if still possible

And list....on S.C. It’s free and you me some lovely people.

Too late to cancel but my package has reached GSP safely and was signed for albeit with a "X", so if it goes wrong, and if I've read ebay's guff properly, I'll still get the funds - no doubt there will be some wriggle out clause where I'll get royally shafted - Oh well.

Danish boy hasn't seen fit to answer my polite request for swift feedback once the watch is with him - Oh well

SC seems somewhat slow just now, hence my try on ebay for quickish sale - sold well enough, just can't access the money at the moment - another Oh well.

Lesson learn't and I can't be ars*d trying to meet all the criteria ebay list for immediate access to funds from any future sales. I wonder how much money PP hold for this 21 day nonsense? Millions?

Dentist later; no doubt get shafted there too - Oh well!

David

Journeyman
    Ebay does seem to penalise sellers with high fees and lack of protection against scammers. They do seem to encourage usage of their free site: gumtree. If it's high value then it's probably safer to meet face to face, although you may not get the highest price.
    Generally I've had positive experiences selling but maybe I've been lucky! I also never ship outside of the UK.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    I had my funds on hold a few times even after the package arrived and feedback was left.
    So , hope for the best but prepare yourself for the 20 days

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I had my first experience of an ebay numpty recently.
    I`m a 500+ feedback, 100% positive, 14 years a member etc etc. I`ve sold thousands of pounds worth of stuff in the last year or so from a massive clear-out.
    Had a high-ish value item for sale and stated NO Paypal for this one (wary of the chargeback scam). BT/cash etc is the way to go.
    Got a lowball offer (40% less than the asking price) from a message, then another higher offer minutes after, insisting that he can pay by Paypal straight away..
    Despite my listing conditions and repeating those payment conditions in the first message (NO Paypal!) the numpty Buys-It-Now and pays by Payal immediately.
    I`m already suspicious of this dude so refund straight away and cancel the transaction.
    I then recieve my first -ve feedback saying i was trying to scam him by insisting on BT!
    Spiteful little cant.
    Isn’t it still a condition of using eBay as a seller that you have to accept PayPal, and that other payment methods are optional?

If so irrespective of a blemish free history you still need to comply with eBays t&c’s to use the platform.

Craftsman
    I was selling a camera lens on eBay a week or so ago, as soon as listing ended I had a feeling about the winning bidder with low feedback.
    Despite numerous messages they didn't pay, dispute started (waste of time) which I then had to end to get my fees back and to be able to relist.
    That was a another wasted week.
    I wasn't even allowed to leave the clown a negative feedback, eBay say they "may" leave a non payment record on his account.... Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Isn’t it still a condition of using eBay as a seller that you have to accept PayPal, and that other payment methods are optional?

If so irrespective of a blemish free history you still need to comply with eBays t&c’s to use the platform.
    Exactly, but this leaves a seller wide open to the chargeback scam as I and others in the thread have alluded to.
    Only accept PayPal on low value items which you're prepared to lose!!
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 16th October 2018 at 09:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Nope. Cash on collection can be the only option if you wish. I've sold several bulky car parts in past few months and that was my only accepted payment method.

Master
    Exactly, but this leaves a seller wide open to the chargeback scam as I and others in the thread have alluded to.
    Only accept PayPal on low value items which you're prepared to lose!!
    That unfortunately seems the way it’s gone.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Nope. Cash on collection can be the only option if you wish. I've sold several bulky car parts in past few months and that was my only accepted payment method.
    The only option, or in addition to accepting Paypal?
    I cannot find any way to list something without having to accept Paypal payments that does not end with ebay refusing to start the listing - `You must offer Paypal as a payment option on this listing`, unless it`s a category thing and it`s allowed for certain categories (such as heavy car parts).

Master
    Funny. I have seen that the German and Austrian eBay works without Paypal

eBay and PP just keep on giving; watch that's on it's way to Danish boy via GSP (confirmed reciept at GSP today) I now have to wait 28 days for fund release, not the 21 as first intimated by PP...really is a crock of cr*p selling with them.

David

Master
    The only option, or in addition to accepting Paypal?
    I cannot find any way to list something without having to accept Paypal payments that does not end with ebay refusing to start the listing - `You must offer Paypal as a payment option on this listing`, unless it`s a category thing and it`s allowed for certain categories (such as heavy car parts).
    May well be just certain items but at least 3_items I've sold had the option to accept cash only. I posted advert using full desktop web page listing. Not sure if that also offers more options.

Master
    Sold a watch a few months ago, PP put a hold on the Funds, citing it was on Ebays request that they do so. After a lengthy discussion with Ebay they agreed to release the funds as soon as the item was signed for, give Ebay a call for def if you don't want to wait the 28 days( got mine sorted in 3 days) Had the same thing last year, told me I hadn't sold enough, security measures blah blah blah... Been with Ebay for 15 years and 100% feedback.

Good result !

A little update...

First watch recieved by UK buyer on 16 Oct and positive feedback left. Paypal still have my money.

Second watch recieved at GSP depot for onward shipping to Denmark on 16 Oct. As far a I'm concerned I have met my obligations and if the watch gets lost both myself and the buyer are covered. Paypal still have my money & according to a recent update, for up to 28 days!

I'm more than a little miffed, so I rang eBay. Through quickly to a very helpful fellow...agreed I'd met my obligations in sending both watches. First watch recieved with +ve feedback and the second watch is now covered by GSP for whatever. A little good natured chat he agreed my funds should be released and he would sort it out.

True to his word, I've just got a Paypal email...funds in my account in less than two hours!!

Reckon if I hadn't called my money would have stayed with eBay/PP for the duration, as is many other folks cash. Nice little interest earner for PP/eBay.
    All worked out for me in the end and I feel confident I won't be facing any chargeback cr*p from scammers :)

David

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    A little update...

First watch recieved by UK buyer on 16 Oct and positive feedback left. Paypal still have my money.

Second watch recieved at GSP depot for onward shipping to Denmark on 16 Oct. As far a I'm concerned I have met my obligations and if the watch gets lost both myself and the buyer are covered. Paypal still have my money & according to a recent update, for up to 28 days!

I'm more than a little miffed, so I rang eBay. Through quickly to a very helpful fellow...agreed I'd met my obligations in sending both watches. First watch recieved with +ve feedback and the second watch is now covered by GSP for whatever. A little good natured chat he agreed my funds should be released and he would sort it out.

True to his word, I've just got a Paypal email...funds in my account in less than two hours!!

Reckon if I hadn't called my money would have stayed with eBay/PP for the duration, as is many other folks cash. Nice little interest earner for PP/eBay.
    All worked out for me in the end and I feel confident I won't be facing any chargeback cr*p from scammers :)

David
    Hi David

I am tempted to sell a watch this weekend with the £1 max fee,but these horror stories are putting me off.

What happens in 6 months if the buyer does the chargeback item with defect? Then he sends you back a empty box or broken watch or even a fake?

It’s a bit of a piss take? You would lost a good watch , your money and be left with a negative feedback?

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I used to love ebay. These days I only use it for buying obscure bits of hardware or donor parts .

I’ve rarely seen anything new that you couldn’t source cheaper usually from Amazon without the postage charge if you’re prime.

I’d never sell on it , forums are a better bet.