closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heathrow Discount Experiences

Master

Heathrow Discount Experiences

I happen to be travelling through Heathrow in the next few weeks, which obviously got me thinking...

I can get the Panerai model I’m interested in for 29% off list ‘grey’ (I say grey, but it is sourced from an AD and comes with Panerai 2-year warranty, etc. so I use that term loosely), whereas Heathrow volunteered 16% off list without any bartering on my part.

My question, however, is whether you have managed any further discount in your Heathrow negotiation experiences? The 13% differential is a fair amount of cash... and whilst I’m not expecting Heathrow to match the ‘grey’ price, they need to get quite a bit closer for me to select that option.

Keen to hear your experiences before building my negotiation plan.

It’s certainly not one of the more popular Panerais, which only serves to work in my favour... although perversely it does mean fewer are manufactured with fewer ADs stocking them.

Heathrow Discount Experiences

I thought they did the equivalent of tax free so that would be 20%. Are the offering an additional 16%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    I thought they did the equivalent of tax free so that would be 20%. Are the offering an additional 16%?

That is 16.67% discount rather than 20% and I would have thought that is the only discount available in Heathrow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    That is 16.67% discount rather than 20% and I would have thought that is the only discount available in Heathrow
    Yes, spot on... their offer price is 16.67% off RRP (offer price x 1.2 = RRP). That doesn’t really compete with the ‘grey’ price though, unfortunately.

Since you have a fallback- ask them for 22% or you walk......

You dont ever have to see them again, so losing face shouldn't worry you.

Whats the worst that can happen?

Master
    If I understand it correctly, if I’m travelling outside of the EU then the retailer is not required to pay the VAT.

Accordingly, if I pay RRP less 16.67%, the retailer is essentially benefiting from a full price sale with no discount given.

If a non-airport AD were to offer a 10% discount on RRP, that’s essentially the equivalent of an airport AD offering a 25% discount off RRP (assuming my maths stacks up at this late hour).

Accordingly, if I were to request a 25% discount... whilst it sounds a little aggressive, the reality is that I’m only asking for a 10% discount in real terms.

Of course, everything I’ve written above could be nonsense and my logic completely flawed, but this is how I’ve always understood it to work.

Craftsman
    I might be a bit thick but how can it be grey from an AD .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    If I understand it correctly, if I’m travelling outside of the EU then the retailer is not required to pay the VAT.

Accordingly, if I pay RRP less 16.67%, the retailer is essentially benefiting from a full price sale with no discount given.

If a non-airport AD were to offer a 10% discount on RRP, that’s essentially the equivalent of an airport AD offering a 25% discount off RRP (assuming my maths stacks up at this late hour).

Accordingly, if I were to request a 25% discount... whilst it sounds a little aggressive, the reality is that I’m only asking for a 10% discount in real terms.

Of course, everything I’ve written above could be nonsense and my logic completely flawed, but this is how I’ve always understood it to work.
    If you are flying out of the EU, you will get the VAT discount. If flying in the EU, you will get an equivalent discount to VAT from all brands aside from Rolex and Tudor.

If flying out of the EU, it would only br a small discount for them, but doesn’t mean they will do it - plenty of passing traffic through Heathrow at what are very low prices compared with other countries. You can always ask though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I might be a bit thick but how can it be grey from an AD .
    I don’t consider it ‘grey’, but I believe many still refer to it as such. There are various firms which source from within the AD network, so the watch itself is provided by an AD with stamped / dated warranty cards and manufacturer’s warranty... it’s simply that the buyer transacts with the sourcing firm rather than the AD itself.

Master
    If you are flying out of the EU, you will get the VAT discount. If flying in the EU, you will get an equivalent discount to VAT from all brands aside from Rolex and Tudor.

If flying out of the EU, it would only br a small discount for them, but doesn’t mean they will do it - plenty of passing traffic through Heathrow at what are very low prices compared with other countries. You can always ask though
    That’s really helpful - thanks.

This isn’t the new Rolex Pepsi I’m requesting a discount on, but rather what I’d expect to be a not-frequently-asked-about Pam. It perhaps depends how long they’ve had this particular watch in stock as to whether or not they want to do a deal...

Master
    That’s really helpful - thanks.

This isn’t the new Rolex Pepsi I’m requesting a discount on, but rather what I’d expect to be a not-frequently-asked-about Pam. It perhaps depends how long they’ve had this particular watch in stock as to whether or not they want to do a deal...
    Yes think that would be the main factor in getting an extra discount. If they have had in stock for a while, then could be possible

I happen to be travelling through Heathrow in the next few weeks, which obviously got me thinking...

I can get the Panerai model I’m interested in for 29% off list ‘grey’ (I say grey, but it is sourced from an AD and comes with Panerai 2-year warranty, etc. so I use that term loosely), whereas Heathrow volunteered 16% off list without any bartering on my part.
    Isnt 29% off a Panerai a superb discount in the first place ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Isnt 29% off a Panerai a superb discount in the first place ?
    Indeed it is, at least in my opinion.

I simply prefer the option of buying the item there and then in person, handling the item I’m buying, avoiding the wait and the risk associated with an overseas ‘grey’ purchase (although Chrono24’s escrow service reads pretty well to me, albeit I’ve not used it), etc.

I’m prepared to pay a little for that preference, but not 13%.

"Would the gentleman who left his testicles in security - please return and collect them"

FFS! Go in, demand whatever discount keeps you happy, and be prepared to walk away!

There isn't always someone to bolster your confidence or hold your hand.................

Man up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    "Would the gentleman who left his testicles in security - please return and collect them"

FFS! Go in, demand whatever discount keeps you happy, and be prepared to walk away!

There isn't always someone to bolster your confidence or hold your hand.................

Man up!
    That’s a rather odd response, as was your previous post about losing face. I understand you’re inferring I’m afraid to speak to a Harrods employee to negotiate a discount and walk away if their offer isn’t good enough for me to accept, yet I can’t fathom why you’d think anyone would find that a fearful experience or need a confidence boost.

I’m interested to know whether anyone has managed to negotiate a ‘better than vat’ airside discount. From there I found myself interested in airside tax treatment as it’s not something I’d really considered before. Forum threads often meander, which is the nature of Internet forums.

Thanks for your guidance though - I’ll demand what I want in a manner which avoids the loss of face and I may even throw in a raised voice. I’ll be sure to make you proud sensei.

Master
    I would be interested to know from whom you are obtaining such a big discount. My long term grail PAM would be a 614 or 615 and if I could secure that type of discount it could be mine that little bit sooner. PM is fine for this info btw.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I would be interested to know from whom you are obtaining such a big discount. My long term grail PAM would be a 614 or 615 and if I could secure that type of discount it could be mine that little bit sooner. PM is fine for this info btw.

Nothing clever and no connections... just a seller on Chrono24. Savings typically depend on popularity of the model I would expect.

Master
    May I ask what model you plan to Buy?
    Nothing clever and no connections... just a seller on Chrono24. Savings typically depend on popularity of the model I would expect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    May I ask what model you plan to Buy?

No probs. I’m looking at the 722... which I’d expect to be a less popular model due to its less ‘traditional’ characteristics of 42mm and steel bracelet.

Indeed it is, at least in my opinion.

I simply prefer the option of buying the item there and then in person, handling the item I’m buying, avoiding the wait and the risk associated with an overseas ‘grey’ purchase (although Chrono24’s escrow service reads pretty well to me, albeit I’ve not used it), etc.

I’m prepared to pay a little for that preference, but not 13%.
    Only ever heard of someone getting a discount on some Mappin & Webb jewellery, never watches. Let us know how you get on!

Craftsman
    No probs. I’m looking at the 722... which I’d expect to be a less popular model due to its less ‘traditional’ characteristics of 42mm and steel bracelet.
    Hi mate

Exact same watch I’m looking at.

Only thing I’m cautious about is the ongoing situation with Brexit. Whether we get a good deal/bad deal/ no deal over the next week might change the value of the GBP vs EUR

if it goes well you might be able to know a couple of quid off that Chrono price due to the exchange rate variation

If it goes bad it might as a couple of hundred.

Worth considering

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post
    Hi mate

Exact same watch I’m looking at.

Only thing I’m cautious about is the ongoing situation with Brexit. Whether we get a good deal/bad deal/ no deal over the next week might change the value of the GBP vs EUR

if it goes well you might be able to know a couple of quid off that Chrono price due to the exchange rate variation

If it goes bad it might as a couple of hundred.

Worth considering

Haha, I’ve seen the fluctuation in Chrono24 prices over the last couple of weeks - not huge amounts, rather the cost of a nice meal and a few drinks.

Unsurprisingly, the watch has become more expensive over the last few days!

I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and Laings shipped their 722 over from their Glasgow branch for me to have a look at. That was the first time I’d held one and I really liked the size, the weight, how well it sat on the wrist, etc. I’m used to 44mm Pams, but I very quickly warmed to the 42mm.

I’m ready to make the purchase albeit not in a rush to do so which allows me to search out the best deal.

I wonder if anywhere would do a better deal if we were to buy two between us...

The 722 was there today and I didn’t haggle - left the price hanging in the air but no bite - and was offered a three watch travel case.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Sounds like a decent deal if flying within the EU. Not so if flying outside as you would be required to pay tax on your return

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    The 722 was there today and I didn’t haggle - left the price hanging in the air but no bite - and was offered a three watch travel case.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the heads up. I’m not confident they’ll accept my offer, but that will be their call.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Sounds like a decent deal if flying within the EU. Not so if flying outside as you would be required to pay tax on your return

Yes, thanks, I worked this out the other day when thinking about it in a little more detail. Regardless of the fact I’m flying outside of the EU, the purchase needs to be subject to VAT otherwise I potentially face a large bill upon my return. I’ve heard all the ‘post the boxes back separately’ advice before, but there’s no point as I can already source the watch cheaper from a ‘grey’ dealer. We’ll see what they say, but I doubt they’ll accept my offer...

Both 722 and 723 in stock today at Harrods T2. I know a number of the team in there so asked about further reductions. No chance, I'm afraid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Both 722 and 723 in stock today at Harrods T2. I know a number of the team in there so asked about further reductions. No chance, I'm afraid.
    Thanks for the heads up - appreciate it.