closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart TV which one?

Master

Smart TV which one?

Looking to buy a new TV, haven't bought one for years so a bit out of touch really.
    Probably around the 48" size, will be wall hung, ( if that makes any difference ).
    Any makes to avoid.

Master
    What are you going to connect to it?

Really happy with my LG OLED, it was a big improvement over my previous Sony.

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    What are you going to connect to it?
    Just skyq and possibly a dvd player

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutling View Post

- - - Updated - - -

We currently have a sony 40", how is the LG better?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    If you have no need for a specific smart tv, then any 4K tv will do. I like the way my Samsung TVs connect to my android tablets, therefore that would be my choice. I would look into a soundbar as thin tellies on the wall tend to produce below par sound.
    OLED is great but not great VFM yet in my opinion.

Master
    Looking to buy a new TV, haven't bought one for years so a bit out of touch really.
    Probably around the 48" size, will be wall hung, ( if that makes any difference ).
    Any makes to avoid.
    I think anything by LG Samsung Sony or Panasonic will all be really good we have two Sony's and they are great and two friends of mine have recently bought an Lg and a Samsung and I have seen them both and both are superb.

Craftsman
    If you watch a lot of catchup, I’d advise getting one with freeview play built in. So much easier to go back up to a week without the faff of opening up ITV player/Iplayer etc and searching for a programme.

The LG OLED range tends to get great reviews and provide a brilliant out of the box picture.

If you actually mean a DVD player than a Bluray or a 4K bluray player be aware that a lot of the content will look like **** on a decent 4K TV because of the resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    The LG OLED range tends to get great reviews and provide a brilliant out of the box picture.
    This, it's what a number of very competent people have recommended to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    If you actually mean a DVD player than a Bluray or a 4K bluray player be aware that a lot of the content will look like **** on a decent 4K TV because of the resolution.
    This can also be frustratingly true.

The smallest size available for oled is 55” as far as I know.

Without a budget it’s pretty difficult to guess but at that sort of size I’d be looking at a middle of the range Samsung lcd. Not a fan of Panasonic TVs and the Sony OS leaves a lot to be desired.

Just bought an LG 43” 4K HDR TV from richer sounds (6 year warranty), great value, the smart functionality is actually pretty decent! The model number is 43UK6300PLB it’s LED but not OLED.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    The smallest size available for oled is 55” as far as I know.
    Yep, I'm moving up from a 46in Panasonic plasma to a 55in OLED. I's only a few inches wider once the bezel is taken in to account.

In the past I’ve never had a smart tv and only ever bought quite cheap flat screen TVs.

That was until last year when I decided to splash out on a Samsung QLED smart tv. I think QLED is their take on OLED. Anyway, I’m really happy with it. Although I’m not overtly techy, I think the picture is really good. It also does the smart side of things very well and we have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc etc without the need for any other boxes.

If you need advice, I recommend having a wander into Richer Sounds one quiet afternoon and discussing your needs with them. My local branch is staffed by knowledgeable guys who aren’t too pushy. Hopefully other branches will be the same.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Samsung are known for being the best looking TV but with the worst sound quality (unless they have improved?) I'm happy with Panasonic, but other makes are well regarded

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung are known for being the best looking TV but with the worst sound quality (unless they have improved?) I'm happy with Panasonic, but other makes are well regarded

Yes you’re probably right there. Got mine hooked up to an LG 5.1 system.

QLED is just Samsung’s marketing blurb for their LED tv range and is not equivalent to OLED although price wise it is marketed against OLED.

Blog Entries
    Got a 49” LG hooked up to Sky Q and a Blueray + an LG soundbar all works ok but go for a tv with blueray great for headphones.

Master
    We currently have a sony 40", how is the LG better?

Obviously loads of models from each manufacturer and so not sure that is a question that can sensibly be answered. However, as ray_li30 says, the LG OLED TVs are generally very well reviewed. I got one when they were on offer last "Black Friday" and it's very good - although I might have said exactly the same about a Sony at the same price. I did my own research at the time (and, like others, thought Samsung had a good picture) but also relied on a "techy" friend who does lots of reading around TV and hifi forums.

Obviously if you buy a samsung, it's handy to known how to blacklist IPs to stop it trying to insert ads into the user menu...