closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Favre Leuba - is this watch just a redial or a complete fake?

Favre Leuba - is this watch just a redial or a complete fake?

I recently purchased this watch and hold up my hands to being totally unfamiliar with the brand.

Looking at it when I got home I noticed that Sea Chief was spelt as Sea Cheif and the alarm bell went off!!!! It is obviously a redial.

After some quick online research I am now aware that this brand is heavily faked hence the question in the title.

The case is in really excellent condition as is the movement which is keeping good time so why would it have needed attention to the dial?

My observations are that the movement retaining ring looks poor and the engraving depth of Favre Leuba on the movement seems to be different to the other engraving.

What do you think guys?

Last edited by Jack Norman; 14th October 2018 at 10:18.

Aha! The good old ST 96 - the Indian vintage faker's movement of choice. As seen in a very wide variety of eBay "NOS" junk such as Oris, Favre Leuba, Jaegar, Titoni etc.

Hope you didn’t pay too much for it :(

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mathif View Post
    Hope you didn’t pay too much for it :(
    Why don't you just tell us now what you have to sell instead of inserting an inane one-liner into every single thread on the forum?

Sorry you got duped, the case back looks genuine though.

Here is a real F-L, with original dial.

Spot the mistake, one I made myself!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Sorry you got duped, the case back looks genuine though.

Here is a real F-L, with original dial.

Spot the mistake, one I made myself!
    Is it that the outer outer ring markers don't line up with the dial markers?

I think it is sometimes easier to spot things on a pic than when the watch is in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norman View Post
    Is it that the outer outer ring markers don't line up with the dial markers?

I think it is sometimes easier to spot things on a pic than when the watch is in your hands.
    You are right, this happened because the new cystal was slightly thicker than the original (about 1/10th mm.) and the crystal inner marker ring needed slightly shaving to fit. I did so without thinking about the markers not lining up as a consequence.
    I might try cleaning it off and leave it blank.

Craftsman
    Amazing how many of these are on Ebay generally from India. There must be a cottage industry set up, Favre, Titoni, Oris etc, quite a few with lurid redials.
    Last edited by gettinon; 14th October 2018 at 11:47. Reason: fat finger

And my question is still: why an obscure brand like Favre Leuba?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Favre- Leuba "obscure"? Surely you jest!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    It’s the second oldest watch brand in the world, Mark. Not exactly obscure...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know guys but in the (vintage) watch community you don't hear too much of it. Disclaimer: I do own one :-)

Don't feel too bad - a number of us have been similarly caught out in the past.

In my case twice with Favre Leuba's

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Don't feel too bad - a number of us have been similarly caught out in the past.

In my case twice with Favre Leuba's
    The fact that I got caught and bought a fake damaged my ego rather than my wallet but.................

it was the response of the seller when I tried to return the watch that really surprised and disappointed me.

The fact that I got caught and bought a fake damaged my ego rather than my wallet but.................

it was the response of the seller when I tried to return the watch that really surprised and disappointed me.
    We've all been there! Who was the seller? Is this watch just a one-off for him or does he have an entire inventory of ropey stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    We've all been there! Who was the seller? Is this watch just a one-off for him or does he have an entire inventory of ropey stock?
    I have now posted a thread relating to the attempted return of this watch for refund.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-a-fake-watch
    Last edited by Jack Norman; 15th October 2018 at 18:19.

Thomas Reid
    Should be "Seachief" instead of "Seacheif", at the least, and probably "Sea Chief".

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Why don't you just tell us now what you have to sell instead of inserting an inane one-liner into every single thread on the forum?
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Has anyone got a good resource for genuine Favre Leuba?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I must admit I was somewhat surprised that you expected the seller to pay for YOUR mistake (not noticing the obvious spelling error on the dial).

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I must admit I was somewhat surprised that you expected the seller to pay for YOUR mistake (not noticing the obvious spelling error on the dial).
    Hello Tom,

In one of my emails to the seller (see my other post) I do accept that I had the opportunity to spot the dial error but didn't.

I didn't have an enlarged pic to look at when purchased but still accept it was my error. However my issue is that the complete watch is a fake not just a redial.

Other brands such as Omega have many, many experts here ready to comment on every detail but Favre Leuba is harder.

Knowledgeable forum members are now beginning to confirm that this watch is fake which has been my belief since I did my online research, albeit after the event.

Jack

Yes forget the redial / spelling mistake. If the watch is a fake and was sold as genuine, then the seller should take it back and refund the money - end of story.

If they won't, then name, shame and report them.

Master
    It's fake. I see no reason for all the fuss. Open a case and return it to seller. Also share the name of the honest gentleman and save someone else the headache.

As you posted in the other thread:
    An update:

Favre Leuba responded very quickly and I received the following email from them on the 23 October.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Dear Jack

Thank you for the pictures. The case, as also the case back looks original. The dial seems to be repainted, that’s why the spelling error. The hands look also a bit short for this size of the watch. For the movement, it seems that the Favre Leuba engraving was done afterwards, so we call this kind of watch a “marriage”, some parts original, some not.

Hope this answer helps you.

Stephan

_________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

I’m just amazed that you bought a watch that said “SEACHEIF” on the dial.