closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Man (Movie)

Craftsman

First Man (Movie)

Has anyone else been to see First Man in the cinema yet?

It has some historically accurate
    looking vintage watches within. I spotted Gosling (Armstrong) wearing a lovely Seamaster and obviously his Speedy. Ed White makes an appearance too!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    No but the film trailer looks fantastic ..

I read somewhere that Omega supplies the watches for the movie and that they’re all original “real” ones.

Nice!

Master
    Saw it last night. Spotted the Seamaster in the early scenes. Speedy appears later obviously. Amazing film, watch it at an Empire Impact screen if you can. Great article in GQ with Gosling and Chazelle too online.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

IMG_0226.JPG

Seeing it later today. I'm liking the Speedmaster TV adverts also promoting the film.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've seen it. It's not like the trailer. It's slow, sombre almost to the point of being depressing and tries to capture the struggle of going into space and the fear.

Go see it if you really like NASA and space history, but if you take the family they'll be bored. It has sparse dialogue and it's not a hero film in any conventional sense.

It's also strangely grainy and seems to have been filmed to look like it was made in the '60s including occassional shots out of focus and vintage colour processing, this could turn off some modern viewers expecting everything to be in sharp focus with vibrant colours.

I liked it, but it's not for everyone. It's not at all like Apollo 13 and sometimes feels more like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master
    I going anyway, and definitely wearing my Speedy and a spacesuit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I've seen it. It's not like the trailer. It's slow, sombre almost to the point of being depressing and tries to capture the struggle of going into space and the fear.

Go see it if you really like NASA and space history, but if you take the family they'll be bored. It has sparse dialogue and it's not a hero film in any conventional sense.

It's also strangely grainy and seems to have been filmed to look like it was made in the '60s including occassional shots out of focus and vintage colour processing, this could turn off some modern viewers expecting everything to be in sharp focus with vibrant colours.

I liked it, but it's not for everyone. It's not at all like Apollo 13 and sometimes feels more like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Agreed. And it’s all the better for it.

Last edited by PickleB; 14th October 2018 at 13:39.

Craftsman
    I’m planning to go and see this on imax screen, probably next weekend.

Will be wearing the speedy pro, obviously!

Journeyman
    Sounds like a great film to watch! Will also be wearing the speedie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I saw it and aside from the watches + space history came away dissapointed. Both Buzz and Neil seem to be portrayed as unlikeable characters. Neil's wife didn't seem chuffed at all that he made it back.

In short: grim and now I'm paying for it as the wife chooses the next film. YMMV

Craftsman
    Gulp. I was going to see this with the wife but I fear she’s going to be bored witless and I’ll be in the same position as NickGaters. It’s on the kodi player now so might just watch it at home when she‘s out and save myself the grief!

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    I saw it and aside from the watches + space history came away dissapointed. Both Buzz and Neil seem to be portrayed as unlikeable characters. Neil's wife didn't seem chuffed at all that he made it back.

In short: grim and now I'm paying for it as the wife chooses the next film. YMMV
    I gather that the film is pretty true to the book (link1 & link2) on which it is based. The author has said (link):

..The movie does a good job of depicting Neil because Ryan Gosling did such a great job of portraying him. When an actor in a movie is playing a historical character, the best you can hope for is a really solidly researched role, and Ryan did that. Ryan not only read my book very carefully and had many conversations with me, but he had conversations with Neil's two sons and with Neil's sister and lots of people that knew him. As Ryan told me, he wasn't trying to mimic Neil. He wasn't trying to become Neil. He was trying to interpret some truths about Neil's character. I think he did that very well. Neil's two sons, Mark and Rick Armstrong, who are now grown up, both feel that Ryan's portrayal of Neil was the father — the man — they knew...

If you want a feel-good movie about a US astronaut...try The Last Man on the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Gulp. I was going to see this with the wife but I fear she’s going to be bored witless and I’ll be in the same position as NickGaters. It’s on the kodi player now so might just watch it at home when she‘s out and save myself the grief!
    You never know...'the wife' may sympathise with Armstong's wife, Janet, and appreciate the background story that is being explored rather than the whole 'US moon landing' exploit.

I remember watching the Neil Armstrong - First Man on the Moon on the BBC and recall that he was something of an unusual character. Eugene Cernan admitted that you had to be driven in order to make it on the astronaut programme and that the wives got the raw end of the deal (this was in his bio-pic...see #15).

NB The BBC film is not currently available...link...but give it a little time and I'm sure it'll be back on.

Journeyman
    Been looking forward to seeing this film but don't think my spine could take a cinema seat for two and a half hours. I'll wait a see it on Sky or Netflix.

Sheesh, just go and see it, the shots ‘on the moon’ almost make it worthwhile.
    My wife enjoyed it, just thought it was a bit slow and rambling, but felt that Buzz Aldrin came across as the biggest dick !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post

The film was authorised by Armstrong’s family which probably means that there’s a degree of truth in the character portrayals.

I've now seen it and it's very good, although possibly slightly too long, although it's a big story to tell. The watches feature a lot and look really cool, and the space stuff is well done. It's very moving at certain points, though is also slow at times - it's more about drama than action. The music score is tremendous especially building up to the landing and worthy of special mention. Well worth seeing in IMAX for the fullest experience, especially the rocket scenes, and the moonscapes.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've just seen the film and thought it was great especially as it wasn't the usual corny blockbuster. Lots of Speedmaster action on different straps!

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post

I took my son and he loved it.

I thought it was very well done too. I enjoyed the lunar descent - it matches the actual footage well.

We spent the rest of the evening discussing basic rocket science, why gold was used on the Eagle, why so many pilots died, why it's worth funding space exploration etc.

Master
    This film is about a quiet man bottling up huge emotions, and functioning in the face of incredible danger. The possibility of death haunts every scene. If you’re looking for a conventional take on uplifting, flag waving bravery, heroism and adventure this isn’t for you. It is however very well done and extremely exciting in places - the Gemini mission in particular is an amazing sequence. It’ll make you think twice about having wanted to be an astronaut when you grew up though. And for what it’s worth, the Omegas are very much present, but not overdone.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    The film was authorised by Armstrong’s family which probably means that there’s a degree of truth in the character portrayals...
    Or maybe an even bigger degree of truth as how they would like the characters involved to be portrayed....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    ....If you want a feel-good movie about a US astronaut...try The Last Man on the Moon.
    I’ve seen that before, several times, but your link prompted me to watch it yet again. What a movie!

Available on Netflix or Kodi.

Master
    Or maybe an even bigger degree of truth as how they would like the characters involved to be portrayed....
    Have you seen the film? I’m not sure why the family would like Neil Armstrong to be portrayed as haunted by grief.

I haven't seen it but from the Trailer it looks like they feature Gemini 8, which was a near disaster when a rotational thruster stuck open and had the craft rotating at up to 2 revolutions per second.
    From our point of viiew, the interesting thing about that mission was that Armstrong was wearing (alongside his Speedmaster) a Wittnauer Allproof worn by Jimmy Mattern, aviation pioneer, on his failed round the world solo attempt of 40 years before. Bet the film didn't show that............

Dave

Master
    Having just read the article in Worn and Wound which refers to “period-correct recreations”, which of them do you think will be the next special edition?

https://wornandwound.com/watches-on-...-of-first-man/

The 105.003 image looks like a brand new watch so guess this is a candidate.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I haven't seen it but from the Trailer it looks like they feature Gemini 8, which was a near disaster when a rotational thruster stuck open and had the craft rotating at up to 2 revolutions per second.
    From our point of viiew, the interesting thing about that mission was that Armstrong was wearing (alongside his Speedmaster) a Wittnauer Allproof worn by Jimmy Mattern, aviation pioneer, on his failed round the world solo attempt of 40 years before. Bet the film didn't show that............

Dave
    Probably not...but I'll look for it. I'm seeing the film this afternoon.

Apparently, Aldrin took Jimmie's pilot's license, signed by Orville Wright, to the moon...link.

Craftsman
    More Omegas than a Bond film :-)

Surely it will be the moonwatch with an applied logo, stepped dial and cal. 321?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 16th October 2018 at 21:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    This film is about a quiet man bottling up huge emotions, and functioning in the face of incredible danger. The possibility of death haunts every scene. If you’re looking for a conventional take on uplifting, flag waving bravery, heroism and adventure this isn’t for you. It is however very well done and extremely exciting in places - the Gemini mission in particular is an amazing sequence. It’ll make you think twice about having wanted to be an astronaut when you grew up though. And for what it’s worth, the Omegas are very much present, but not overdone.

The perfect summary! Totally different movie to the one the trailer suggests, and better for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by csinclair85 View Post
    The perfect summary! Totally different movie to the one the trailer suggests, and better for it!
    I have to agree with both of you.

Having seen it yesterday, I'm left feeling a little underwhelmed. Without doubt it is very well made and acted and should be appreciated for that. I don't do emotions very well (sorry I can't put is better than that) and so that side may not have made the impression on me that it might on other. Sticking with my personal PoV, I'm fairly familiar with the history and so didn't learn anything (but it did send me off to the net to learn about NA's X-15 flights). I saw the BBC biopic that I reference above and so wasn't surprised by his personal history, but I'm now tempted to read the book the film is drawn from. I'm sure to learn something from that.

Would I watch it again...probably not? Is it a great film...probably not? IMO, just very, very good and well worth the 5 stars rating it got from Empire.

I found this YouTube video of a Ryan Gosling interview last night...'More Shaking'...from BBC Radio 1 (of all sources). It's worth a watch (IMO), but maybe after seeing the film if you're committed to seeing it, or before if you're still in two minds about it.

Spoiler Alert!

At #16 & #35 i referred to the documentary Neil Armstrong - First Man on the Moon. I've just found it on YouTube.

Craftsman
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...rong-first-man

I wonder if the cast got to keep the specifically made replicas!?
    Last edited by csinclair85; 17th October 2018 at 17:28.

I expect we will all be able to buy them after Basel 2019.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master

I’d like to make a drama-documentary on Royal Navy divers of the 1970s. Do you think Rolex would run me off a series of remade 5517 MilSubs? And let me keep them afterwards?

Looking forward to seeing it sometime..

So the big question is - will this film have an effect on vintage speedy prices??

I’ve seen that before, several times, but your link prompted me to watch it yet again. What a movie!

Available on Netflix or Kodi.
    I've just found this short film from Gene Cernan's mission:

Last edited by PickleB; 19th October 2018 at 00:43. Reason: correct 'form' to 'from'

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I've just found this short film form Gene Cernan's mission:
    Sir Isaac Newton, balls down to your knees, and a list of scientists and engineers too log to mention, it is a wonderful world we live in, and a species we can be sometimes.

Link to a eulogy...and I've taken the liberty of linking to a section well into it.

Craftsman
    Saw it last night. I grew up with the moon mission (sat up watching it live, aged 11). I've seen and read loads of books, movies etc but I'm not convinced by First Man, plenty of banging and rattling to test the cinemas' Dolby system, a long shaky eyeball scene (homage to 2001 tunnel scene) but if it were to play on the intimacies of Neil Armstrong, why no cockpit dialogue in the 4 days it took them to get there?

I'm going to read Moondust again since soon, there won't be anyone left on earth who's walked on the moon.

And play the HBO series From The Earth To The Moon again as that captures the mood very well with a mix of acted and original footage well melded together.

Did Neil really leave his daughter's bracelet on the moon? I have never picked that up anywhere before or was it artistic licence for the film?

Craftsman

Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Looking forward to seeing it sometime..

So the big question is - will this film have an effect on vintage speedy prices??

The vintage prices might get a little bump up next year with the 50th Anniversary but a lot of the focus will undoubtedly be on what release or releases Omega brings on to celebrate the anniversary, which will no doubt be snapped up by collectors and speculators.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Did Neil really leave his daughter's bracelet on the moon? I have never picked that up anywhere before or was it artistic licence for the film?
    Must have been fiddly to pull out of his pocket with those gloves on.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    I'm going to read Moondust again since soon, there won't be anyone left on earth who's walked on the moon.
    Great book. Thanks for the reminder - I must try to dig my copy out this evening.

Link..."Long story short, no one really knows."

Craftsman
    Saw it at the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Went prepared, having read this and a few other things, for a slow moving movie, which it is, but I felt maintained an air of tension throughout, so didn’t drag for a 2hr plus film. Certainly doesn’t glamourise or romanticise space travel- quite the opposite!

Of course, wore the speedy and enjoyed seeing them on the wrists of the astronauts.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Great book. Thanks for the reminder - I must try to dig my copy out this evening.
    Reading it again at the moment. Published in 2005, there were 10 of the 12 moonwalkers alive. Now there are just 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

Journeyman
    I really liked it. I appreciated the 60s filtered filming, and steady pace and the realistic depictions of launches. Neil Armstrong certainly came across as a flawed hero. It really showed the dangers of being on the cutting edge of exploration and the human cost. Worth seeing on IMAX if you can! And of course - some nice watch shots :)