timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stop Killing Cyclists

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Perhaps you might find this interesting?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line

As a cyclist I guess youíll recognise some of the reasoning...
    That only applies at certain junctions, and there's often an accompanying cycle lane which makes the overtaking issue almost none existent.

In Birmingham, they're few and far between. And the same behaviour is exhibited at all junctions, not just those with a left hand turn.

A decent number of cyclists don't seem to want to accept any responsibility for their own safety. Saw one last night, dressed in dark clothes, a tiny led flashing front and back (barely visible amongst street lights, other vehicles in the dark/rain). No helmet.

Can you imagine getting in your car, not bothering with a seatbelt, then driving on a dark and rainy night with headlights off? Ridiculous.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Yes thats annoying - but that is the bi-product of lights, jams etc... councils and govts have a lot to say for traffic design - hasnt changed for years yet the fabric and diversity has and it needs to catch up and adapt. if it works you up too much you shouldn't be behind a wheel.... or handlebars
    accept that a gap will open up soon and usually five to ten seconds after you make that dangerously close pass/manouvre
    Therein lies the issue.

Asking for consideration and patience, whilst being unwilling to reciprocate.

I'm now 62. I've owned an auto for about 8 years of that time. I've not owned one for 27 years, and haven't driven for 26 years. I suspect that I'll never drive an auto again. I did have some pretty amazing auto trips, however, including one across the USA from the west coast (Washington State) to the east coast (Massachusetts) in a 1963 VW van with all my belongings inside (top speed of 60mph on the flat with no headwind, and the bicycles off the roof rack). Commuting was always Hell on Wheels.

Since the age of 5, I've always had at least one bicycle (at most 4). So, that's about 57 years of bicycle riding. I suspect that I've done more than 300,000 miles on a bicycle, and not a 5th of that driving an auto.

The only crashes I've had are when racing bicycles (unhappy but part of the sport) and, being run off the road twice in the UK (in 27 years). Both of the later cases were boy racers in country lanes.

Working in Oxford, I've seen some pretty atrocious bicycling. A fair amount of pretty bad driving too. I suspect that there are people in cars listening to music, using mobiles, etc., who aren't completely aware of their surroundings. On the whole, however, the rude drivers are outliers. Still, defensive cycling is the only way to go. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

And I see some hope for Oxford, at least. In the mornings and afternoons the traffic is at a standstill. And the periods when this is so are getting longer. So, no competition on the roads for people with bicyclists. 6-8 minutes to college by bicycle; 30+ minutes by bus. It used to be the case that unmoving traffic would produce lots of nasty fumes. But no more. I've been told that modern non-moving motorized vehicles now have auto cutouts for their engines.[1] And I have noticed fewer fumes in stalled traffic.

So, let's make it a basic right in the UK for everyone over 18 to have an auto. With luck, that way there will be no competition on the roads for bicycles at all.

Best wishes,
    Bob

[1] We seldom even get lifts by automobile. But, we went with some friends to a lunch party in the south and I asked what was wrong with their car that caused it to keep cutting out. ;)
    Last edited by rfrazier; Today at 11:42.

Blog Entries
    Good to see your still around Bob

But to all roadusers letís just try to respect each other and have some spatial awareness.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    That only applies at certain junctions, and there's often an accompanying cycle lane which makes the overtaking issue almost none existent.

In Birmingham, they're few and far between. And the same behaviour is exhibited at all junctions, not just those with a left hand turn.

A decent number of cyclists don't seem to want to accept any responsibility for their own safety. Saw one last night, dressed in dark clothes, a tiny led flashing front and back (barely visible amongst street lights, other vehicles in the dark/rain). No helmet.

Can you imagine getting in your car, not bothering with a seatbelt, then driving on a dark and rainy night with headlights off? Ridiculous.

Personally I think you are giving too little consideration to why cyclists will move to the front at traffic lights, but you are welcome to your view. Perhaps mine is skewed by cycling in London where they are more prevalent.
    If you ride in the prime position as advised by the police and Highway Code you face abuse and aggression from divers for not waiting in the near side gutter and taking up a meter or so of road space.

I agree that some cyclists take there personal safety lightly but as unfortunate as that is itís not the majority in my opinion.

It can also be said that many drivers are poor and see cyclists as an inconvenience at best, thatís if they even see them in the first place. Others seem intent on passing at all costs often seeking to punish them for simply cycling in the first place.
    Overtaking with inches to spare meters before a red light in town is a personal favourite along with the inches to spare on a open road with nothing coming in the opposite direction