closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Security System - recommendations

Home Security System - recommendations

Hi all,

Would be interested in knowing what has worked well for others please. Will probably go for an unmonitored alarm system but happy to pay for a professional outfit to do a complete install, inside and out.

Arlo seems popular amongst TZers, whist I'm not ruling that out, keen to explore alternatives - do not mind if its more traditional, i.e.PIR/Siren/CCTV setup. Keyfob deactivation (instead of typing a PI N code to deactivate) would be very nice. Remote connectivity/viewing (i.e via phone) a bonus.

Before someone mentions it, a dog is out of the question!

Thank you.

Probably worth having a chat with a local installer to be honest.

Slightly less costly with the facility for it being monitored, I guess you’d be looking at a Visonic.

Something a bit higher end and more advanced and also monitored, the Texecom Ricochet.

Probably best having an installer pop round, explain your requirements then let them quote you based on that.

Thanks - Yes, Visonic along with Hikvision and Pyronix seem to pop up in searches.

Admittedly Texecom Ricochet is a new name to me, so something to add to the list.

Any obvious pros/cons to look out for when stepping through with installers?

Craftsman
    We install exclusively Texecom and have them all across Europe and can’t fault them. Very reliable and good customer support.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I found that all of the installers I contacted would only install one brand. I suspect that was due the fact that they know that particular brand or had preferential rates for buying the kit. Each mentioned bad things about each other’s Brand!

I was offered three brands, Honeywell, Pyronix, and Texcom.

Went for Honeywell in the end. Galaxy Flex 40 or 50?

B

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Any obvious pros/cons to look out for when stepping through with installers? [/COLOR]
    I just outlined what I wanted from the system and he came back with a few suggestions, all at different prices, and I chose the system that had what I needed at the best price.

I also have a few family members in the industry (not where I live though) and they all rave over the Texecom Ricochet. The mobile app is pretty cool for it, and I believe you can also wire cameras into the system too, which you can’t do on some cheaper brands and systems.

Ultimately you get what you pay for though. If you’re not bothered about all that fancy stuff and just want it monitored, the Visonic will do the trick for not much more than £500 installed.

Arlo is superb. You want a mix of stuff though: Arlo, decent alarm, dog, visibility. Some food for thought here: https://youtu.be/ajwJSsRmDhA

Craftsman
    I've installed a few at my properties. Bear in mind that all "monitoring" generally does now is call the keyholder or police with a double trigger. I set mine up with an SMS dialler that sends a text to self, friendly neighbour etc.
    I've used Texecom (great kit) and currently using Scantronic which is the bread & butter system of many installers. The dialler from Control Freq and CCTV on a DVR with remote access from CCTV 42 (run by Henry of 911 Virgin).

The CCTV can be set up with hotspots that email you 3 images if a preset area detects motion (eg around front door/letterbox etc). Don't make the zone too wide else you'll get hundreds of emails with birds, leaves blowing in the wind etc.

Master
    I'm 16 months in with the Pyronix and can't fault it. The app is basic but frankly all you need and from memory they have bought HikVision so if you want to add CCTV to the set-up it works with the same app.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I'm 16 months in with the Pyronix and can't fault it. The app is basic but frankly all you need and from memory they have bought HikVision so if you want to add CCTV to the set-up it works with the same app.
    Interesting, thank you - good to know both have joined forces. By using their app, are you tied into 'PyronixCloud'?

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I've installed a few at my properties. Bear in mind that all "monitoring" generally does now is call the keyholder or police with a double trigger. I set mine up with an SMS dialler that sends a text to self, friendly neighbour etc.
    I've used Texecom (great kit) and currently using Scantronic which is the bread & butter system of many installers. The dialler from Control Freq and CCTV on a DVR with remote access from CCTV 42 (run by Henry of 911 Virgin).

The CCTV can be set up with hotspots that email you 3 images if a preset area detects motion (eg around front door/letterbox etc). Don't make the zone too wide else you'll get hundreds of emails with birds, leaves blowing in the wind etc.
    Thanks - I was looking at CCTV42 yesterday - very good advice and seemingly high quality kit. Just not sure CCTV alone is enough. Maybe its the way to go nowadays? The wiring does put me off a little, though, given they supply only and not install (running wires externally means they can easily be cut?). Regarding remote access - does that imply you did not need to hook up a monitor to the DVR? That'd be ideal - don't wish to have a monitor showing all cameras at all times (like they have in retail shops), but simply the chance to check on activity when desired.

EDIT: to add, on the topic of external wiring being cut, that's one of the reservations with Arlo.... the cameras being mounted with magnets - can they not simply be removed by anyone and/or damaged easily?
    Last edited by cman; 13th October 2018 at 11:17.

I have a Honeywell Dominal professionally installed and monitored. It is probably a bit “old school” now - no app etc. but has been completely reliable with just one false in 5 years. I would suggest having maintenance as if something goes wrong it can mean a whole new install especially down the line when things have been discontinued. Alarms definitely work though - my father had a break in recently and the burglar fled so only made it into the kitchen. Regarding cutting the wires I asked about this and of course GSM does make better sense here but the installer said he had seen one instance in 20 years where the phone line been cut.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To clarify, it was the wire running from the (externally mounted) camera to the (hidden, internal) DVR I was referring to!

Blog Entries
    We have Arlo and Yale Smart Home. Both wireless, remote arm with no issues works really well

Pitch

^ thanks - the Yale range seems very easy to install yourself which is nice. Currently focusing on CCTV options, but of course if the intruders simply wear masks/hoodies, the footage will be of little use.

Bit more reading suggests the RFID key fobs to alarm/disarm home intruder systems are probably a bad idea.... you lose your keys and the finder can easily get into your house. Will probably stick to a code!

^ thanks - the Yale range seems very easy to install yourself which is nice. Currently focusing on CCTV options, but of course if the intruders simply wear masks/hoodies, the footage will be of little use.

Bit more reading suggests the RFID key fobs to alarm/disarm home intruder systems are probably a bad idea.... you lose your keys and the finder can easily get into your house. Will probably stick to a code!
    Can't you delete it from the system?

Craftsman
    Alarm, Texecom premier elite, with the connected module, all app controlled and send notifications, arm disarm from phone.
    Again not a fan on the fobs (lose keys with fob on and they can open your door and.swipe.to disarm the alarm, not great !!!!
    Personally I prefer wired but the ricochet is the best out there.
    CCTV, Hikvision, not expensive now days and a doddle to fit(infact fitted a 4 camera system in 4 hr in torrential rain this morning, all set up to the phone for remote monitoring.

If you want to go the whole hog, perimeter beams, linked to alarm and CCTV and remote monitoring when activated (starts getting expensive now though!)

Always best stopping the scrots getting near your property to start with.
    Best (but cost alot to set up) was all perimeter protected by dual perimeter beams, when activated sets off remote monitoring station whom can utilize the CCTV to check and speak to the intruders.
    This along with activating the flood lights and the fitted talking alarm with external speakers telling the unintended visitors that they are there and being monitored (reaction is great to watch, startled rabbit in headlights spring to mind!) They do not hang around long!
    Last edited by Gee252; 14th October 2018 at 21:17.

Perimeter beams sounds very high tech and appropriate for the very high worth areas - maybe a bit overkill for your average residential property..!?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Alarm, Texecom premier elite, with the connected module, all app controlled and send notifications, arm disarm from phone.
    Again not a fan on the fobs (lose keys with fob on and they can open your door and.swipe.to disarm the alarm, not great !!!!
    CCTV, Hikvision, not expensive now days and a doddle to fit(infact fitted a 4 camera system in 4 hr in torrential rain this morning, all set up to the phone for remote monitoring.
    Texecom has been mentioned enough on this thread alone to make it a clear candidate. Looking around, the Premiere Elite does receive favourable reviews which is great. Cannot see much about integration of cameras into this system, so I suppose any form of CCTV would be seperate.

Do we have any installers here on TZ, in the Middx/Bucks area?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post

If you want to go the whole hog, perimeter beams, linked to alarm and CCTV and remote monitoring when activated (starts getting expensive now though!)

Always best stopping the scrots getting near your property to start with.
    Best (but cost alot to set up) was all perimeter protected by dual perimeter beams, when activated sets off remote monitoring station whom can utilize the CCTV to check and speak to the intruders.
    This along with activating the flood lights and the fitted talking alarm with external speakers telling the unintended visitors that they are there and being monitored (reaction is great to watch, startled rabbit in headlights spring to mind!) They do not hang around long!
    Sounds fantastic. Perimeter beams!! Maybe next time I will go for something like this!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Perimeter beams sounds very high tech and appropriate for the very high worth areas - maybe a bit overkill for your average residential property..!?

Texecom has been mentioned enough on this thread alone to make it a clear candidate. Looking around, the Premiere Elite does receive favourable reviews which is great. Cannot see much about integration of cameras into this system, so I suppose any form of CCTV would be seperate.

Not as high tech as you think, been around many years.
    As simple as using a set of electric gate stop beams as a basic system.
    And then goes on to dual, beams and so on!

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Pyronix Enforcer - self installed - v reliable - remote access control - can be wired to other CCTV and gates etc

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Most CCTV DVRs have built in alarm output if you want to link to the alarm system with fitted outdoor pirs.

Craftsman
    Regarding remote access - does that imply you did not need to hook up a monitor to the DVR? That'd be ideal - don't wish to have a monitor showing all cameras at all times (like they have in retail shops), but simply the chance to check on activity when desired.
    You will need a monitor plugged into the DVR to access the set up menus which can't be done remotely via the app or through the GUI on your home network. I use a little 9" thing I bought on Ebay for £50 and it sits in the rack with the DVR and rest of network switches, back up NAS drives etc.

The only cable you need to run is a CAT5/6 and I arranged it to come out of the house straight into the back of a small weatherproof box adjacent to each camera position. The box then contains the balun and power connections.

The CCTV kit is definitely better than other stuff I've seen. In my last house, I bought 4 cameras from them then added on two more domes I bought from Ebay that looked identical to the CCTV ones but were cheaper. The quality of image was not as good and they were the first ones to go into black and white/IR mode when the sun went down whereas the CCTV ones hang onto colour into much lower light.

I've only ever fitted them when I'm in the middle of big refurbs with floorboards up so I can also get other alarm & networking cables in at the same time.

Master
    Interesting, thank you - good to know both have joined forces. By using their app, are you tied into 'PyronixCloud'?
    Yes if you want remote access. Pyronix make it available free of charge to their installer network and I think the idea is that they activate it linked to their installer code to encourage you to use the same installer for future maintenance.

In practice you need ongoing service as the internal pir batteries need changing every 12 months and the sounder box battery is changed every 24 months. For £80 a year my alarm guy changes all the batteries, does an annual test and is on 24/7 standby for any issues.

FAO: Texecom & Pyronix system users

Are you tied into their cloud offering? i.e. is it mandatory if you want to be able to view recorded footage?

Craftsman
    Hikvision CCTV we use along with Ring doorbell. Apps are great on both for checking whilst away.

Craftsman
    I received a quote for an alarm system and then called my insurance company to get a revised quote were this alarm in place....
    I worked out that it would take about 15 years worth of reduced insurance premiums to recover the outlay for the alarm.

In the end I just bought better insurance

Food for thought?

Sent from my Note 8 using the TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash View Post
    I worked out that it would take about 15 years worth of reduced insurance premiums to recover the outlay for the alarm.

In the end I just bought better insurance

Food for thought?
    Yep, you've clearly never been burgled. I can only imagine one or two crimes that are more personally intrusive.

For me, the alarm is more of a deterrent than a detection system.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Yep, you've clearly never been burgled. I can only imagine one or two crimes that are more personally intrusive.

For me, the alarm is more of a deterrent than a detection system.
    I have been, twice.

We've since moved house to a new estate where many houses had alarms. When they'd go off , they appeared to be mostly ignored by folk who saw them as disturbing the peace more than anything else.

Technology is moving at such a pace that alarms are definitely getting 'smarter' .

In the end if having one provides you and you family with peace of mind then it is worth getting for that alone. It didn't for us.

Best of luck in whatever you choose you decide to do.

Sent from my Note 8 using the TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Resurrection of this while trying to find a wireless security system.

Arlo and Yale mentioned earlier seem to review well online, also had simplisafe crop up a lot - anyone experienced them?

If you are talking about CCTV then personally I’d go wired rather than wireless, the main issue with wireless is that with a few cams you’ll quickly find that they will saturate the Wi-Fi network and this will then cause issues.

For externally run wiring you can get the wires run in conduit. Good brands to look at are Dahua and Hikvision, make sure you look at the sensor size and night time performance, don’t go chasing high Mp cams as most have pretty crap night time performance. There are loads of vids on YouTube reviewing cams. My cams are a combination of 4Mp cams out front and 2Mp cams covering the side and back of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

Arlo and Yale mentioned earlier seem to review well online, also had simplisafe crop up a lot - anyone experienced them?
    As I started the thread 3 years ago, here is what we went for in the end:

Pyronix Enforcer Alarm with Mobile App
    1 x Control Panel with LCD keypad
    5 x Wireless PIR Sensor
    1 x Wireless Door Contact
    1 x HomeControl Mobile App
    1 x Wireless Pyronix Enforcer Keypad
    1 x External Siren
    2MP Hikvision ID HD Network Camera System (Power Over Ethernet)
    4 X 2MP Hikvision Darkfighter Turret Camera
    1 X 4 Channel NVR
    2 TB Hard Disk & PoE Cables

3 years on, very happy with it, been very stable, and nothing to complain about.

Note:
    - The camera tech has probably improved vastly since.
    - Pyronix and HikVision may have (?) joined forces since, too, offering a 'total' package (?)

If being super picky, should've opted for a 8 channel NVR so we could introduce more cameras with ease. Still possible now, but would need a new NVR.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

I had a honeywell wireless system Domonial I think for about 6 years before I moved house. It needs a professional install as not much is user configurable but it was completely reliable and integrated the smoke detectors into it. Keypad batteries were user changeable and the detectors changed by the engineer every 2 years.

My garage is a bit vulnerable being located at the bottom of the garden, i`d like something to alert me to unwanted attention from any undesirables..
    What i`m imagining is a PIR which will trigger an alarm inside the house wirelessly - does such a thing exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    We have Arlo and Yale Smart Home. Both wireless, remote arm with no issues works really well

Pitch
    I also have this set up. They both work independently well and see no need to change.

When I installed them a couple of years I was annoyed there wasn't a company that integrated alarms and cameras in a package, so I might not make the same choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    My garage is a bit vulnerable being located at the bottom of the garden, i`d like something to alert me to unwanted attention from any undesirables..
    What i`m imagining is a PIR which will trigger an alarm inside the house wirelessly - does such a thing exist?
    The Yale smart system will do this. I have switches on the garage, shed and back gate that alarm when opened.

You don't need a PIR though, just a door contact switch.

^^^Thanks, i would prefer to have something in place that would warm me before a break-in attempt was made, though - preferably as soon as the crim pokes his head above the gates - there`s absolutely no reason why anybody other than from our household would need to be in the area where my garage is....
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 21st January 2022 at 23:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    ^^^Thanks, i would prefer to have something in place that would warm me before a break-in attempt was made, though - preferably as soon as the crim pokes his head above the gates - there`s absolutely no reason why anybody other than from our household would need to be in the area where my garage is....
    If your internet reaches down there I’d just install a wireless camera from Eufy or similar, I’ve also hit a texecom alarm, Dahua Cameras but had a bit of a blind spot at the bottom of the garden, fitted a wireless camera, needs recharging every couple of months or so, brilliant piece of kit, quick alerts to my iPhone, spotlight etc… and relatively inexpensive.

I have a monitored verisure system and have been super happy with it. Not the cheapest, but I have an internal camera and the smoke deployment system which floods the house with smoke if a break in is confirmed. On top of this I have a ring doorbell and an Arlo camera. A bit of everything.

In my former home (large barn conversion) I installed a monitored SimpliSafe system that was excellent and fault free in the 2 years until I sold the property. Well worth a look and absolutely no need for a professional installer.

Craftsman
    Just installed an Orisec alarm which seems to have surpassed Texecom recently and it compliments out Lilin CCTV. I’d probably choose Hikvision now though based on cyber security improvements and their respective lower price point.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought from a local place who maintains it, and separately have some Neos cameras which are outstanding for the money when on a Lightning Deal.