closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is anyone using Ecosia for web searches?

Is anyone using Ecosia for web searches?

Just came across this alternative to google as a search engine and was wondering if anyone else is using it.

I like the fact they "apparently" dont sell my data to third parties and I particularly like that they use their profits to plant new trees.

is there a catch? Anyone a long time user who can comment?

If there is no downside I might push for my organisation to encourage its use internally.

Master
    Can't answer your question re any catches etc. but I know my son uses this when he's doing his homework, think he was told about it at school.

"80% of its surplus income to non-profit conservationist organizations, with a focus on tree planting" according to Wiki. Over 38m trees planted to date.

Money comes from ad revenue, apparently (and there's a donating thing you can do too).

Hello

I use DuckDuckGo.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I use DuckDuckGo.
    It's really interesting to use that then compare to Google in terms of first page search results, and see just what Google knows about you and your interests.

Journeyman
    I've just tried Ecosia. I like it.
    I think I will try it for while.

Going to give it a try....anything to try and get out of googles clutches!

I’ll give it a try also........

I ended up back in an office for a few months and found that the default search engine was Bing.

I wasn’t too impressed with it, and commented to my nearby colleague.

he replied: “It’s really good at finding Google”

I started using it yesterday. The only thing is having to search for google maps etc., but that takes 2 seconds so no great hardship.

Master
    I can't remember the last time I actually went to a search engine home page.

I install Chrome so that I always have all my bookmarks and any 'searches' are done straight in the address bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post

I install Chrome so that I always have all my bookmarks and any 'searches' are done straight in the address bar.
    me too but by installing the Ecosia plugin in chrome all my searches from the address bar are now done by Ecosia.

Never heard of Ecosia before reading this thread, since yesterday im seeing ads for it everywhere... strange, watched 'Did the Us really go to the Moon' last night on YouTube and it cropped up three times in the ads...

Prompted by this thread, I tried giving their android app on my 2016 Galaxy A3, but got tired of the This App Has Stopped Working Messages.

Perhaps it's the age of my phone, perhaps it's having Chrome on my phone too, I don't know.

I found the app slow for searching anyway and had ended up only using it for bookmarks.

Startpage is another privacy orientated* search engine. It gives Google search results with complete privacy.

On the subject of privacy, if you're using Chrome, don't even bother.

Multi-account containers for Firefox is an add-on that effectively sandboxes different browser tabs, and isolates website's cookies. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...nt-containers/

* Doesn't it feel good to see 'orientated', rather than 'oriented'?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post

Trouble is that since last week Chrome is blocked on the office network....