closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: River Thames as art...

River Thames as art...

"The Illuminated River will be a long term art commission on an unprecedented scale: a scheme to light central London’s bridges along the River Thames"...link

I think the bridges are pretty lovely without special lighting, but it'll be interesting to see how this works.

Master
    Part of me wonders how London can afford to do this when there are so many funding challenges across the city, for so many worthy causes. The other part of me loves the idea. I enjoyed reading about the bridges on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Part of me wonders how London can afford to do this when there are so many funding challenges across the city, for so many worthy causes. The other part of me loves the idea. I enjoyed reading about the bridges on that site.
    'London' may only have to stump up a share of the cost. The sites list the owners as Tfl (3), Network Rail (4), two of London's richest boroughs (4) and Bridge House Estates (5). Wiki tells us that "The Bridge House Estates is a charitable trust, established in 1282" and has a section about their finances (link).

Part of me says 'I like things as they are...so why?' Another part says 'Wait and see. You'll probably like it in the end...you've been wrong before.'

See link, for this update:

Installation work on a 10-year art project, to brighten up several tidal Thames bridges, is about to begin, after multiple planning permissions were granted.

The first stage of the Illuminated River public art commission will see London Bridge, Cannon Street, Southwark and Millennium bridges brightened up in time for summer 2019. You can see a computer generated film of how they will look below.

There is also a video on YouTube:

There's a new documentary about...The Living Thames:

The Thames is Britain’s most famous river. Nevertheless, many people don’t know very much about it. For millions who see it every day, it’s mystery. Sixty years ago the Thames was severely polluted. Many people still see it as dead and dirty. The reality, however, is completely different. We made the film to tell this hidden story.

In recent decades, thanks to the dedicated work of many, the Thames has made a dramatic recovery to become one of the cleanest inner-city rivers in Europe. During his journey, from Teddington at the upper tidal reach to the sea, Chris meets many people who tell him more and more about just how much life there is, in and around the Thames.

We want to open people’s eyes to how truly remarkable the tidal Thames is, and how crucial for connectivity, biodiversity, wildlife and migrating species. And encourage everyone to feel part of the Thames, and join in helping to look after it, to ensure its continued vitality.

ICYMI (I did)...London's Great Bridges: Lighting the Thames.

Episode 2 in on Channel 4 tonight at 19h00.

I’m lucky enough to have a pied a terre in SE London, mainly for work but I get to enjoy the place too. Today I walked the Thames Path from old Greenwich to North Greenwich. There’s never a shortage of things to see- I have to say it’s one of my favourite places, although I don’t think I could ever live full time in London.