closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skydweller Incoming

Master

Skydweller Incoming

I have had a desire for a Rose Gold watch for a while now and a couple of years ago, I stopped in my local AD and tried on a few - the chocolate dial Daytona, Yachtmaster and whilst I was there, the Skydweller. I went in to look at the Daytona, but was not wowed by it or the Yachtmaster, but was quite taken by the Skydweller. Fast forward 6 months or so, and the steel versions were unexpectedly released, so I was in contact with AD on the evening it was announced and put my name down for the blue dial - I am still waiting, and have no desire to pay over RRP for this model.

I have since tried on the Rose Gold Skydweller a few times and it has really grown on me, so I started a search for the discontinued Chocolate Dial variant with applied rose gold numerals (the current model has luminous battens and a grey dial). I missed out on a new one at the end of July from a grey dealer, so widened the net to search European dealers and found one that was a week old from a Dutch dealer at the end of August.

The watch duly arrived a few days later, and I noticed that there was a problem with the second hand not stopping when pulling out the crown in bezel position 3. After sending into St James to investigate, it turns out this was a common fault which Rolex have fixed through a modified design which they quickly fixed and returned me. I was actually quite happy to send in to Rolex to get it checked out given that I didn’t buy from an AD.

Since receiving back, I have been wearing almost continuously, and also picked up a Rubber B which I think suits well and gives a more informal look.

The rose gold itself is actually quite subtle - certainly more so than yellow gold, and the starburst chocolate dial is just lovely, changing colours in different lighting conditions.

The watch is also easy to read in all lights due to a combination of the rose gold hands and applied rose numerals as they really stand out when they catch the light. In darker conditions sometimes the hands are not so easy to see, but then you have the 24 hour dial which is clearly visible (ok, this is a GMT, so may be set to a different timezone, but for me it is unlikely I will take this watch abroad).

A lot has been written about the movement, and it really is a fantastic annual calendar, controlled from the fluted bezel that allows you to set the date forwards and backwards. The date change is instantaneous having observed the switch from September 30th to October 1st both date wheel and month indicator switch over in the blink of an eye. The month indicator is also a really nice touch and such an obvious parallel with 12 months in the year / 12 hours on a standard watch dial, I am surprised it hasn’t been done before.

Lastly, this feels like a really special watch with the warmth of the look of the rose gold - case, hands and applied numerals, the chocolate starburst dial which is a pleasure to look at, and the most complicated movement from Rolex. Considering how much the steel ones are advertised for on a certain grey market website, the gold models start to make sense (as much as any of this hobby makes sense!). I know they are not for everyone, but it would be boring if we were all the same.

Some pictures to bring it to life...

On the Rubber B to dress it down a little, and I think it really works...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Like that a lot buddy, glad you finally found the right gold watch.

Also like it a lot on the rubber b, which I didn’t think would work until I saw the pics.

Master
    That's a really nice watch, congrats.

Really tempted by one but not sure is a Daytona would be a bit smaller and suit me better.

I love it - both the basic design of the Skydweller, and this particular version of it. Across all their different models, the chocolate dials look really good with Everose cases, a nice easy confidence which combines perfectly with the self-assurance of the Skydweller design.

I have to say, as an owner of a white dial steel skydweller, that is by far the best iteration I have seen of the skydweller. It works just as well on the rubber imo. Well played sir, it looks fantastic 👍🏻

Craftsman
    Congratulations! Skydwellers are not my cup of tea, which is a shame as I do think the movement and use of the bezel etc is awesome and very clever.

Craftsman
    Fantastic watch. I really really like the sky-dwellers ( I have a blue ss )

I tried the WG on leather version last year and the same dial config..loved it . Would love to try a rose at some point as it seems to have a warmer look.

I can’t understand why Rolex has dropped that style of dial as I think it’s the best version for the sky.

Congrats. It looks stunning!.

I do fear for all the shiny bits though; as in all of it.

I love them. My only problem with them is they could easily be my one Watch so I tend not to wear mine much. Sounds crazy but I think whenever the big sell off happens and I put my feet up, a Sky-D will be my everyday watch.
    Maybe not the steel/blue one I have but a gold version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love that mate, good on you!!

I’ve been pondering shopping in my RG DD40 for the exact same dial set-up on bracelet...

Master
    I love the dial, so this is discontinued??

Prices up or down ??

Master
    That looks absolutely class, love everything about it.

Congrats!

Wow a stunning set of photos
    I have always detested the SkyDweller as being fugly but you have changed my opinion with this one. May you always enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Also like it a lot on the rubber b, which I didn’t think would work until I saw the pics.
    The Rubber B was a nice surprise which I hadn’t considered before I bought the watch, and really changes the look. I think it works in part as the alligator is quite a shiny finish compared to the matte rubber

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Really tempted by one but not sure is a Daytona would be a bit smaller and suit me better.
    The Daytona wears nicely and noticeably smaller than this, but this is not overly large. It feels on a par with the latest 43.5mm Omega POs. The fact it has a larger dial than most 42mm watches gives the impression it is bigger, but feels a lot smaller that then Deep Sea for example

Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    I can’t understand why Rolex has dropped that style of dial as I think it’s the best version for the sky.
    Agreed - makes no sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I do fear for all the shiny bits though; as in all of it.
    That was what I said when I first tried it on. It is rather shiny, but I kind of like that about it

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    I love the dial, so this is discontinued??

Prices up or down ??
    Yes, they have changed the dial to grey and the hour markers to look more like the SS model. Not sure why, as that was a key thing that set apart the PM from SS models.

The list price went up by 5% with the last increase. No idea how they will hold their value going forward, but one can only hope that it is up and not down

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Wow a stunning set of photos
    I have always detested the SkyDweller as being fugly but you have changed my opinion with this one. May you always enjoy it.
    Thank you

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Absolutely love that mate, good on you!!

I’ve been pondering shopping in my RG DD40 for the exact same dial set-up on bracelet...
    I tried the DD40 too, and it is a lovely watch. Haven’t seen a full gold Skydweller on bracelet though. Can imagine it is a heavy beast with the extra gold on the bracelet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I love them. My only problem with them is they could easily be my one Watch so I tend not to wear mine much. Sounds crazy but I think whenever the big sell off happens and I put my feet up, a Sky-D will be my everyday watch.
    Maybe not the steel/blue one I have but a gold version.

I feel the same and nothing else is getting a look in at the moment. Will be interesting to see if that lasts over the next few months

Craftsman
    Amazing watch. Have seen it on a black strap as well which looks great!

Nice catch there
    Tbh never been my cuppa in steel but that’s rather nice!