closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gulfman, transformed.

Gulfman, transformed.

I really like the very first Gulfman the DW-9700. These original Gulfman’ have the best module of all the Gulfman in my opinion. It is Tough Solar and this Gulfman uses a ML2016 rechargeable, which is a better, higher capacity battery than the CTL1616 used on most current G shocks. The ML2016 has a capacity of 30 mHA and a voltage of 3v against 18mHA and 2.3v for the CTL.

As I said the DW-9700 is the first Gulfman and was probably a replacement for the Fisherman. It is Titanium, as are all Gulfman' The functionality of the watch is great and actually puts the modern Gulfman's functionality to shame in my opinion.

It has Sunrise/Sunset times, Tide Graph and Moon Phase modes. All these are checkable by date. The name of your home city scrolls across when you are in those modes.

A great feature is that you can preset ten cities around the world with full data on time, sunrise / sunset, tide, and moon phase. Pressing button B brings up the data on these cities whenever you are in timekeeping mode or the other modes.. This is really cool actually if you travel a lot or just have an interest in those places you can see what the position is at anytime. If you actually travel there you can just switch to that city and all the data is just there no need to be looking up longitude and latitude data, set it once and it is always there. Your home time is also always shown when you are in one of these preset second time zones.

It has a 24hr stopwatch. However, it has the countdown feature which will auto start after 5 seconds. Neat!

It has a 24hr countdown timer which can be set to the second, which I know a lot of people would prefer. It also has auto repeat which is useful and in addition you can set a progress bleeper which operates at various times within the last 10 minutes. Again, another useful feature not seen very much these days.

It has the usual hourly signal and five alarms which can all be set by date, month etc. Useful again. The alarms go for the full 20 seconds unlike the ten seconds on modern solar watches. The higher capacity and more powerful battery allows it to do this. Also, when you switch an alarm on the number of that alarm shows in the 'eye'. Set the first two alarms say and segments 1 and 2 will be filled in. So you will always be aware which alarms are currently set to on. That is a feature not often seen.

It also has a fully automatic EL. Another function I like is that you can send the watch to 'sleep'' at any time. I prefer this to power save actually as it will not 'wake up' until you want it. Useful for when you are not going to be wearing it for a while.

It also auto returns to timekeeping mode if you actually use the watch in one of the other modes instead of moving on to the next mode as in modern 'G's

Finally it has that feature Auto Display, which constantly scrolls through all the modes when you activate it.

I already own one of these Gulfman but I had an idea to transform one. I think a flash of gold suits some G Shocks so I kept my eye open for a cheap particular model and finally got this one.

The watch is one of the ICERC Dolphin and Whale models, which I have a fondness for, and is the DW-9700K.

The watch wears jelly resin but of course has aged and yellowed over the years. It did have the gold eye and golden bezel elements I was looking for though. The effects of these are somewhat lost amidst the yellow and browning resin and the fact the resin is over a black case giving it a bit of a ‘dirty’ look.

So I dyed the watch a very deep blue to make sure the gold elements stood out and to eliminate that ‘dirty appearance.

So pretty pleased with this, the watch has a bit of wabi but the jelly resin is tougher than and does not suffer ‘rot’ like ordinary resin. It has the sort of appearance I was looking for and it now has a unique look amongst all the Gulfman. It has gold lettering, screws and a gold buckle to complete the look.

Some wrist shots.

Mitch

Craftsman
    That's a huge improvement- nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    That's a huge improvement- nice job!

Cheers. I prefer the new look as well and it is now a watch I can use as a beater when travelling or just needing to check the time or other data in other cities at a push of a button its many functions makes it very useful, when on holiday especially by the sea.

Mitch

Wonderful job - I think you deserve my Gulfman avatar more than I do 😝

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Wonderful job - I think you deserve my Gulfman avatar more than I do 

I like the Gulfman turtle, it did first appear though on a DW-8600 Fisherman.

Mitch

He's always been a very house-proud turtle :)