closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Maglight upgrade question

Master

Maglight upgrade question

Originally posted in Watch Talk by mistake. Apologies.

I have searched on the net for information about upgrading two standard Maglight torches. I have two 'D' cell torches, one 3-cell and the other 4-cell, and am wondering about the possibility of upgrading the bulb to something better, either LED or Xenon. There's lots of conflicting advice and performance claims, but I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience of an upgrade which is worth doing?
    I also have a recent (2018 spec) Ledlenser P7 so this is just an attempt to upgrade two perfectly serviceable torches to a more modern performance, if indeed that is a practicable option. Thanks.

Only reason to keep with a Maglites is if you want to walk around with a trucheon. When you can get a 5200 lumen Thorfire BLF Q8 for £35, spending the same on two led drop in bulbs (200 lumen) for the maglites makes little sense.

I too have a few maglites I'm reluctant to throw out. If you go down this route you can buy battery cages that'll allow you to use AA instead of the expensive D cell batteries
    Last edited by mylofitz; 12th October 2018 at 11:41.

I used to sell Maglites a few years ago, and the Led conversion bulbs, gave up fairly quickly as they were fiddly to fit and set up so they worked every time and just didn’t deliver when compared to the Led Lensers we started to sell.
    Most of my kits found their way to the bin or bottom of the junk draw, and a D cell maglite ? I still have a sealed one brand new kicking around, nobody interested in something that size anymore.

Back in 2016 I upgraded my 4 D-cell maglite with an LED bulb from amazon for about a tenner. Works perfectly and is much brighter than the incandescent equivalent. Try searching for this "TTS Maglite 1 Watt Cree LED Bulb Upgrade for 2 to 6 D or C cell Torch ".

Master
    i bought a cree bulb for this custom 8cell maglite about a year ago.it does make the torch very much more powerfull but i have lamps which weigh next to nothing that have far greater performance .the maglite however has a very comforting feel about it..

I bought a halogen replacement bulb for my 4 cell Mag years ago and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Group Buy

Chaps,

800lumen upgrade available for Maglite 4D upwards, cost very reasonable if bought in bulk.

Bry

Years ago I converted a 3 x D cell maglite with a cree and a huge domed lens, a big improvement but as said, you can get better light off the shelf these days. It was literally over 10 years ago so couldn’t hope to remember or find the details now.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Chaps, 800lumen upgrade about £18.50 including postage.

I still have two Maglites: a 6 x D Cell that I have upgraded to LED and a small 2 x AA Cell also updated to LED. The 800l upgrade wasn’t available when I updated mine probably a decade ago. I upgraded both to make them useful for around the house as they were poor by modern standards with the incandescent bulbs. The larger light lives under the bed, obviously just in case of a power cut in the night! The small one lives in my office desk for when I’ve dropped something under the desk or I’m fiddling with computer cables etc. Both situations where I don’t need or want 1,000l.

For real outdoor use I have a Fenix PD35 - small and immensely powerful.

Maglight upgrade question

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I still have two Maglites: a 6 x D Cell that I have upgraded to LED and a small 2 x AA Cell also updated to LED. The 800l upgrade wasn’t available when I updated mine probably a decade ago. I upgraded both to make them useful for around the house as they were poor by modern standards with the incandescent bulbs. The larger light lives under the bed, obviously just in case of a power cut in the night! The small one lives in my office desk for when I’ve dropped something under the desk or I’m fiddling with computer cables etc. Both situations where I don’t need or want 1,000l.

For real outdoor use I have a Fenix PD35 - small and immensely powerful.
    I ditched my Maglites years ago for Fenix torches. I have 4 for different uses. A little EO5 which is just bigger then the AAA it takes and stays on my keyring. The P2D takes 1 CR123A battery and stays in my toolbox. The L1D takes 1 AA battery and used to stay at work on my belt when I was in the Fire Service, it's now used as a cycling light with a Fenix handlebar attachment. The largest (120mm), with 2 CR123A batteries is the PD31, very powerful indeed.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I ditched my Maglites years ago for Fenix torches.
    A friend of mine is a mad-keen off-road cyclist and he has a Fenix BC35R mounted on the handle-bars.

Bloody hell it's bright!!!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Might be interested in one of these, Bry, got a 4x D cell Mag that's not being used.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I know I have a 3D Maglite somewhere and this thread is just starting an itch up and I think I might have to dig it out and scratch that itch, what about upgrading the batteries, any help with that ?
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Where from please?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Trade price NO PROFIT.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Back in 2016 I upgraded my 4 D-cell maglite with an LED bulb from amazon for about a tenner. Works perfectly and is much brighter than the incandescent equivalent. Try searching for this "TTS Maglite 1 Watt Cree LED Bulb Upgrade for 2 to 6 D or C cell Torch ".
    Ordered, ta.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    1watt is to low, 5w or 10w will be much brighter!

Hi,

Trade price NO PROFIT.
    How many orders do you need to need to obtain to get that price?

R

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probs 5

Craftsman
    Probs 5
    I’d take one

Master
    Blog Entries

Mag Led Upgrade 1w-2w versus 1,000 Lumens >>>

Master
    Chaps,

800lumen upgrade available for Maglite 4D upwards, cost very reasonable if bought in bulk.

Bry
    PM'd for one, for the 4-cell. Ta.

Probs 5
    I'll take one as well.

R

Craftsman
    Probs 5
    I'd take one if you can ship it to the states.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Waiting to hear back from supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Only reason to keep with a Maglites is if you want to walk around with a trucheon. When you can get a 5200 lumen Thorfire BLF Q8 for £35....
    Where can you get this light for £35 please?

Thanks

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    Where can you get this light for £35 please?

Thanks

Gary
    Search eBay. ;-)

R