closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Maglight upgrade question

Master

Maglight upgrade question

I have searched on the net for information about upgrading two standard Maglight torches. I have two 'D' cell torches, one 3-cell and the other 4-cell, and am wondering about the possibility of upgrading the bulb to something better, either LED or Xenon. There's lots of conflicting advice and performance claims, but I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience of an upgrade which is worth doing?
    I also have a recent (2018 spec) Ledlenser P7 so this is just an attempt to upgrade two perfectly serviceable torches to a more modern performance, if indeed that is a practicable option. Thanks.

Master
    Oops, wrong forum, sorry. Moving to the George & Dragon.

Maglight upgrade question

My wife bought me a two D cell mag donkey years ago, old filament based bulb and got through batteries at a rate.

Anyway I bought off ebay a LED replacement lamp (£20ish) a few years back and it’s turned it from a lacklustre yellow thing into a bright white theatre spotlight, doesn’t eat batteries either.

I just looked at the bulb but no markings unfortunately. I’m sure tech has moved on and even better lamps are avail but I’m happy with mine, made a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    My wife bought me a two D cell mag donkey years ago, old filament based bulb and got through batteries at a rate.

Anyway I bought off ebay a LED replacement lamp (£20ish) a few years back and it’s turned it from a lacklustre yellow thing into a bright white theatre spotlight, doesn’t eat batteries either.

I just looked at the bulb but no markings unfortunately. I’m sure tech has moved on and even better lamps are avail but I’m happy with mine, made a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that. I should have said that I did buy an LED for the 3-cell and found it very disappointing. However that was years ago and I'm sure there's something better out there. Problem is finding something that has been proved effective.

Craftsman
    The torch site U.K. 3w Cree tts led, £9.95 spot on(no pun intended)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    The torch site U.K. 3w Cree tts led, £9.95 spot on(no pun intended)
    Another vote for the Cree mod. Plus always useful in case of emergency

Master
    I see what you did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I would bin them. Maglite have been left behind and torches by Nitecore and Fenix for example, are light years ahead both in build quality and performance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I would bin them. Maglite have been left behind and torches by Nitecore and Fenix for example, are light years ahead both in build quality and performance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed. We stopped using maglites at work a few years ago and moved over to Fenix, Surefire etc. Better quality, harder wearing and more technology. You could say the difference is like night and day...

Apprentice
    Found myself in a similar quandry a few years ago. As a fireman, i've always carried my own 2D Maglite to supplement the lamentable standard issue & checked out the new led torches. I've had a few different models from different manufacturers & the best without doubt are Fenix. I've currently got a Fenix PD35 Tac which is only 5" long x 1" wide & it makes a Maglight look like a candle. It throws a beam 200 metres & has different power outputs which are really easy to set up. ( Whether you want it to turn on really bright or really dim, for example. ) Batteries are a serious business too. Unlike a Maglite with it's puny alkaline batteries, these new bad boys use Li-ion batteries. These things are like bombs. ( Checkout the problems various airlines have had with their Li-ion batteries. ) Only buy the very best & if you have a few batteries, make sure you keep them in a case to avoid short circuits. If you want to know more, inbox me. Good luck.