closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forced love

Master

Forced love

A couple of years ago I got myself into a tizzy about buying a Rolex Daytona and after spending endless hours of reading and research decided to opt for the Daytona 16520 commonly known as the Daytona Zenith. A bit more old school but nicely proportioned.

After a couple of months looking around I fell upon a clean and recently serviced P series model and bought it and unfortunately just became disenchanted with it within days. A classic case of the thrill of the chase being more exciting than the kill. Therefore it has remained in the safe ever since.

This does seem a waste of a good watch so today I put it on and will wear it for a fortnight do see if I start to like the thing. This model is so coveted that something tells me that I must be wrong in the head not to lust it myself.

It wears small which I like, the white makes a change from the usual black and the PCLs seem to suit it, so fingers crossed, I may grow to like it. Time will tell as they say.

It’s a very nice watch Mick, and the lack of overall Zenith movements supplied tomRolex meant that more were put into gold and bi-metal cases at that time, so partly responsible for the success of the current Daytona!

There are are lots of reasons for keeping hold of a watch - obviously the best one being that you enjoy wearing it a lot, but I have a lot of watches I no longer wear and have no intention of selling.

Hipe you enjoy it over the next couple of weeks - I think I’ll take out something I haven’t worn in a while :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Bloody thing gained 4 seconds in 24 hours. This makes it the worst performing Rolex I got. Even my old Explorer11 is good for about 2 or 3 seconds over a month.

Also setting the minute hand and the second hand in total unison is a bit of a pain.

Not much love yet.

Lol

4 secs.

Tough times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a watch .. it won’t change your life

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Lol

4 secs.

Tough times.
    It really is the worst performing Rolex I have. I have just worn a 2003 Sub for 7 weeks and when I checked it, it had gained just 22 seconds over the entire period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    It’s a watch .. it won’t change your life
    Yes very true but I just hate inaccuracy in a watch.

22 secs in 7 weeks might be a lot more erratic though. My most accurate watch over a longer term was a never serviced Sub, probably close to 30 years old!

Any way - it’s a watch. It tells the time. Enjoy it, or sell it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It really is the worst performing Rolex I have. I have just worn a 2003 Sub for 7 weeks and when I checked it, it had gained just 22 seconds over the entire period.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes very true but I just hate inaccuracy in a watch.
    In that case buy one of these...atomic on the left for £300 and GPS on the right for £400 never need setting and always spot on to the second.

Although my Rolex 216570 was accurate to 2 seconds over a seven week period last time i wore it.

Lol

4 secs.

Tough times.
    That's a 0.0046% deviation. Disgraceful, even if it is an old watch.

Craftsman
    How do you measure how much time it is losing/gaining so accurately? I'll set my watch using time on iPhone and push the crown in as soon as the minute changes but with my dodgy reflexes I may still be a second or two out initially lol

How about a picture of the watch in question?

I’d never wear a watch for a day then measure the timekeeping. Try a couple of weeks wear and I bet the timekeeping will be nothing like 4 seconds gain a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Bloody thing gained 4 seconds in 24 hours. This makes it the worst performing Rolex I got. Even my old Explorer11 is good for about 2 or 3 seconds over a month.

Also setting the minute hand and the second hand in total unison is a bit of a pain.

Not much love yet.
    Were you walking to dog, in the sauna, shower or washing up?

Master
    Very high standards. You'd hate my watches!

Master
    It’s a great watch but not every watch sings to every person. Would be a bit boring if we all liked the same thing. Wear it as you say, for a couple of weeks and see how you get on.

I always wanted a Daytona and sort of put my name down when I bought my Sub in 2012. Finally had the cash and the interest to buy it earlier this year. Like you, I was unimpressed. I thought about selling it on as a profit would have been nice (skint as always!) but thought I'd really try to wear it for a while.

Now it has become 'my watch' and I have once again stopped wearing anything else! It didn't 'grab' me as the 114060 did, it was a bit of a slow grower but now I love it, I have forgotten the price, stopped worrying about scratching it and just wear it constantly. The only time I take it off is when I am faffing about with the cars then the old beaten up Citizen I have had for 20 odd years and is scratched to hell comes out.

Timekeeping on mine was quite bad as well, but it has settled down a fair bit now, settled to the point I haven't actually checked its accuracy in a couple of months, it is still accurate according to the clock on the microwave so it's good enough for me :)

Wear it, you'll get its charm eventually. I 'think' there is so much hype about these watches, expectations are enormous and once bought, you realise (somewhere deep, deep down) that it's just a watch that you spent far too much money on. Don't worry about that bit, you'll never lose on them :)

Master
    You beat me to that watch Mick, you got a great deal as P series Zenith’s are very rare. My only hesitation about it was it didn’t have the papers..

Master
    Unforce your love I’ll give you what you paid for it if your not happy?

Master
    Yep, I’ll give you the £7k I was offered it at.

Lol

4 secs.

Tough times.
    Hahahaha Yes
    I have a few watches, I never check them? I have a radio controlled battery clock. I once a week set up the two clocks, an old Ansonia and an Argos special wall clock.
    If I remember I might check a watch.
    But life’s too short for me to worry about seconds.... I like the Field Engineer for that fact, the three handed seconds hand is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just an update to anyone who may be interested.

There is no love for the thing at all, so it's gone back into the safe and I am now wearing a 16710 GMT11 with a coke bezel. Much nicer watch all round.

Some you like and some you don't, such is life.

I might give it another try some time next year.

Blog Entries
    Just an update to anyone who may be interested.

There is no love for the thing at all, so it's gone back into the safe and I am now wearing a 16710 GMT11 with a coke bezel. Much nicer watch all round.

Some you like and some you don't, such is life.

I might give it another try some time next year.

In on that case - why not sell it on to someone who would enjoy it? Seems a shame to leave it in the safe

I totally agree, watches are designed to be worn. Be selective and sell to someone who will wear it and use the cash buy something you love?

Master
    I have given it to the wife, it is now hers and she likes it which surprised me. To be honest, it looks better on her than it does on me and she will wear it as a daily beater most of the time. Overall an unexpected good result.

I have given it to the wife, it is now hers and she likes it which surprised me. To be honest, it looks better on her than it does on me and she will wear it as a daily beater most of the time. Overall an unexpected good result.
    Result all round there. Just shows this watch business is a funny old game. Want want want.. get it don’t like it happens so often!

Not much love yet.
    Give it time, you might want it back.