closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I wear my watch when washing the dishes?

Blog Entries

Can I wear my watch when washing the dishes?

Sometimes I have to wash dishes by hand in our household and I would like to know what the forum consensus is about wearing ones watch for such activity? Do you always take it off or leave it on and risk it?

(The search function doesn't seem to be working at the moment. )

Master
    On my recent thread i just spent over £7000 on a Rolex for my wife and within two days i caught her washing up and cooking with the watch on.

Still searching on the website to see if this will damage the watch...

Depends if its waterproof...

Craftsman
    Dishes fine, as long as the water isn’t too hot and there is steam.
    My deep sea got wrecked in a sauna recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have bashed my watch against the tap when washing up, so depending on the watch I may take it off.

Always do. If the watch can’t cope it’s rubbish!
    Rolex, Seiko, Invicta and Vostok all coped!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    Dishes fine, as long as the water isn’t too hot and there is steam.
    My deep sea got wrecked in a sauna recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Sea Dweller has been in pool, shower, steam room,?shower, sauna, pool! Also bi metal sub before I sold it.
    So has my Samurai Save the Ocean???

The problem isn't the heat or steam, not initially at least. The real problem is the washing up liquid lowering the surface tension of the water, making it easier to penetrate the case via the crown. Personally, I wouldn't risk it with anything other than my U1, even a HEV is vulnerable.

You should be ok but make sure you have a Brillo pad nearby incase you need to polish out any accidental swirlies!

It's the soap you need to worry about Martyn - them bubbles can cause so much havoc. To be on the safe side I wouldn't risk it unless it has at least 300m water resistance. Maybe buy this 1000m badboy for the duties - https://www.fratellowatches.com/citi...omaster-1000m/

Right tool for the job!

When I read that Jacques Cousteau wouldn't go anywhere near a washing up bowl I bought a dishwasher and I've never looked back.
    F.T.F.A.

50m WR more than sufficient for washing the dishes.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    The problem isn't the heat or steam, not initially at least. The real problem is the washing up liquid lowering the surface tension of the water, making it easier to penetrate the case via the crown. Personally, I wouldn't risk it with anything other than my U1, even a HEV is vulnerable.
    Rubbish.

The surface tension of the water is only an issue if the watch is on the absolute margins of water resistence. For an old watch, with knackered seals, the ‘wetter’ water might just push it over the edge, but for a watch in decent condition it won’t be an issue.

Whoosh and whoosh and whoosh again.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rubbish.

The surface tension of the water is only an issue if the watch is on the absolute margins of water resistence. For an old watch, with knackered seals, the ‘wetter’ water might just push it over the edge, but for a watch in decent condition it won’t be an issue.
    Oh, bless.

More importantly, can one do the washing up in a hot tub?
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I don’t let my housekeeper wear my watches .

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    As Franz Kafka said: “The true way goes over a rope which is not stretched at any great height but just above the ground. It seems more designed to make people stumble than to be walked upon.”

Can I wear my watch when washing the dishes?

How much do you respect your watches?.......................................... ...........................shit happens!

Facepalm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    50m WR more than sufficient for washing the dishes.
    I wouldn’t get one in the water after talking to someone who’s had one from new and had it back to omega twice after taking in water. Bit more than washing up but he took it swimming & it fogged up, sent it back and had it all gratis serviced, re-sealed and tested. I saw him the other day and he wasn’t wearing it, asked why & he said it was back to omega as he swam with it and it took water in again. He did say he kicked off saying they’d sold him a divers watch so it should be water proof (haha) so be interesting if they sort it again.

I did explain to him just what a load of nonsense the WR depth ratings are and that I wouldn’t even do more than wash my hands with a Chronograph and he was a bit shocked. He’d assumed he could go deep see diving with it!

Craftsman
    Nightmare situation, assume you've contacted John Lewis and the like to get on the waiting list for a dishwasher? In the meantime you should consider buying ('investing in') 3-4 beaters - the bits of crab shell and lobster claw will just add Wabi over the long run.

HTH.

Master
    I occasionally do KP shifts at work. So 8 hours straight of washing dishes and having it submerged in very hot very soapy water full of oil and God knows what else. Not an issue.

In my practice I do all the gynecological exams with my watch on
    Never lost it or damaged by fluids

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    He is hilarious!!!!!

I personally put my watch in airtight container near sink to avoid accidental splashes of water and soap.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Facepalm
    Yup. I now understand the vote to leave the EU.

Craftsman
    Watches only come off for bed, if I'm going to be doing DIY or tinkering with the car the beater gets put on.

Washing dishes I leave them all on, never had a problem yet.

Master
    Surely this thread is not genuine!

On the other hand, how do people clean their watches??

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    The only watch I let get seriously wet is a Seadweller. Others, even at 10atm, I am slightly cautious with. Stuff doesn't always work as advertised, seals age. Why take the risk? So, if they get a soaking by accident, fine, but I won't do it deliberately. And certainly not with models below 10atm.

Yep, if it were me I’d buy one of them Melly dishwashers from Germany - they’re meant to be very good you know.

PS Don’t put your watch in it though! 😀👍

OP, two words: dynamic pressure.

How vigorously do you agitate the dishes?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

You / we must buy disposable paper plates and plastic cups immediately, or until this topic runs to 45 pages and we reach a consensus once and for all.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I don't understand, why is your missus not doing the washing up?

😉

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The only watch I let get seriously wet is a Seadweller. Others, even at 10atm, I am slightly cautious with. Stuff doesn't always work as advertised, seals age. Why take the risk? So, if they get a soaking by accident, fine, but I won't do it deliberately. And certainly not with models below 10atm.
    I don’t deliberately immerse watches, but that’s more from habit than any other reason; I often end up wearing watches with zero WR so I don’t get into the habit dunking my hands under water with a watch on.

If a watch has 30 metres WR it’ll be fine for immersion provided the seals are in good condition. Likewise a diver rated at 300metres will leak whilst washing up if the seals are really shot.

Water inside a watch is bad news and best avoided, but for pratical everyday wearing a watch needs to be splashproof for obvious reasons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    More importantly, can one do the washing up in a hot tub?
    I’ve used a twin tub but only once

Master
    The key thing the op has missed is how deep is the sink?
    If say it was a plastic bowl, I would be happy to use a water resistant watch. If it was a full commercial sink as found in hotels restaurants etc, I would only trust my sub with its enhanced water resistance
    Hth

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    In my practice I do all the gynecological exams with my watch on
    Never lost it or damaged by fluids
    Oh thank you so much for this. I now have a mental picture I can't get out of my head...!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I wouldn’t get one in the water after talking to someone who’s had one from new and had it back to omega twice after taking in water. Bit more than washing up but he took it swimming & it fogged up, sent it back and had it all gratis serviced, re-sealed and tested. I saw him the other day and he wasn’t wearing it, asked why & he said it was back to omega as he swam with it and it took water in again. He did say he kicked off saying they’d sold him a divers watch so it should be water proof (haha) so be interesting if they sort it again.

I did explain to him just what a load of nonsense the WR depth ratings are and that I wouldn’t even do more than wash my hands with a Chronograph and he was a bit shocked. He’d assumed he could go deep see diving with it!
    I had exactly the same issues with an Oris divers watch I bought in the early 70’s bought new from Fattrenni’s (Sheffield jewellers)Sorry can’t spell it.
    Went swimming took on water. Looked like a cool wrist spirit level. Took it back, got a brand new one. Went swimming next week, whooosh wrist spirit level. Took it back and got my money back. Never forgiven Oris

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    OP, two words: dynamic pressure.

R
    Is that what Charles Atlas talks about in his seminal book on washing up ?

I accidentally shoved my watch into the dishwasher once - the noise she made was excruciating
    Gray

Journeyman
    This thread made me laugh. Isn't it just as easy to take it off and leave it on the side while you wash up? Personally I wouldn't do it, same reason you shouldn't use washing liquid on your cars or bikes. It contains salts which need to be rinsed off fully as it can degrade components. You're probably advised to rinse in fresh water after swimming in the sea for the same reasons.

Master
    Slightly OT but I've always wondered about stirring a cup of tea whilst wearing a watch. Is it asking for trouble or should it always be done with the other hand?

Journeyman
    Funny you should ask this question as I've struggled with it for years. In the end I bought and installed one of those laboratory cases with the gloves built into the front wall. This way I can still wash up but without the fear of getting my watches wet or having to worry about exposure to any infectious or hazardous matter which may be on the crockery.

Genius heh?

After the risks presented by this thread I have started to use my teeth to open my beer bottles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I had exactly the same issues with an Oris divers watch I bought in the early 70’s bought new from Fattrenni’s (Sheffield jewellers)Sorry can’t spell it.
    Went swimming took on water. Looked like a cool wrist spirit level. Took it back, got a brand new one. Went swimming next week, whooosh wrist spirit level. Took it back and got my money back. Never forgiven Oris

I’ve no idea how the majority of ‘divers watch’ manufacturers got away with it in the 60’s and 70’s having worked on a fair few. I wouldn’t even wear one watching Bob Carolgees!

Last edited by jameswrx; 12th October 2018 at 12:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Surely this thread is not genuine!
    I think that there is a an ironic slant to this thread - a slight satire on people who are overly terrified of bringing of getting even diver's watches wet, and those who wouldn't do the dishes unless they were wearing a WR300m+ watch with no chrono pushers, screw down crown and an HEV.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I’ve no idea how the majority of ‘divers watch’ manufacturers got away with it in the 60’s and 70’s having worked on a fair few. I wouldn’t even wear one watching Bob Carolgees!

I was flabbergasted when they gave me my money back and they basically admitted it shouldn’t be used in water. Not sure what a diver was supposed to do? Hold his arm out of water! That’s not diving!!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Slightly OT but I've always wondered about stirring a cup of tea whilst wearing a watch. Is it asking for trouble or should it always be done with the other hand?
    Good point...lets face it, wrist watches are far too fragile to be actually worn on the wrist. The only way to avoid any damage is to seal them in solid perspex and lock them in a bombproof safe.

Craftsman
    Not something I would do after I damaged my old work watch a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app