closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Leicester do the impossible?

Master

Can Leicester do the impossible?

Okay we all know that it's mathematically/scientifically/humanly impossible to win the Premier League unless you have 84 billion quid in the bank.

Every few years a cheeky upstart has a damn good run in the first half of the season and we all say 'come the new year they'll fold, their lack of squad will wipe them out once the injuries start, the big boys will up their game, make some massive signings etc etc'. I remember well Norwich having the audacity to do it in the 90's under Mike Walker.

But hey quys the new year is long gone. A month on and those naughty Leicester chaps are IGNORING the rule book!!!!

So can they? Only 14 games left. Anyone believe?

Master
    I think the bubble will burst, but there's a very strong chance now of finishing in the top four.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I think the bubble will burst, but there's a very strong chance now of finishing in the top four.
    That's the reason why I posted this, I too think the bubble will burst, however . . . . . . . It's not and very game on, like tonight, it's getting closer

Craftsman
    Top 4 for sure, but if they can win they're next two games it can be done.

I've been a ST holder uo the Albion for 19yrs now and I think it's brilliant, proves you don't need a Sheik in charge and £150k a week players to make it big. I really do hope they do it...oh and Villa go down :)

Blog Entries
    Excellent result tonight, with sublime finishing from Vardy.

They are there on merit.

z

Master
    I'm starting to believe, we've got less games to play than most of the top 4, the squad looks as strong as ever and Mahrez and Vardy are 2 of the best players I've seen in a long time so why notthis month will be critical though, #fearless

Craftsman
    5/1 with SkyBet too.

Craftsman
    Nerves may be a factor as the season draws to a close, but they seem to still play with such a fearless attitude. Would poss rate as the greatest achievement since Forest winning in Europe?

I hope so. I'm a Villa fan and Leicester are playing with all the passion lacking from Villa but with a squad costing about the same. We're going to go down at least one division with our owner at the helm and we'll likely have to rebuild the same way Southampton have and Portsmouth and Wolves are trying to do. So it's good to see a club fight back from the threat of relegation to do what Leicester are doing without buying the success. As someone said on another thread, who wouldn't want to see Messi in the Premier League? I'd like to see him at Leicester!
    "A man of little significance"

I think they'll come up short regards winning the league. A top 4 finish is now very realistic but if they were unfortunate with injuries to a couple of key players I think that could become a struggle. It's a very refreshing situation though in an extremely unpredictable season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
    Nerves may be a factor as the season draws to a close, but they seem to still play with such a fearless attitude. Would poss rate as the greatest achievement since Forest winning in Europe?
    If we win it then I would say it's a bigger achievement, but then I would I'm a Leicester fan. We've done it without the worlds most expensive player as well, unlike Forest, Jamie Vardy cost the same as Francis nearly 40 years later

I have a mate who put down a tenner each way single bet @5000-1 in September.

33k on its way to him if they can sustain it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I have a mate who put down a tenner each way single bet @5000-1 in September.

33k on its way to him if they can sustain it.
    5000-1 ? Which bookies gave those odds?
    RIAC

Great performance so far, but to put things into perspective... if we'd won the game against Leicester that we TOTALLY dominated the other week, we'd be top. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    5000-1 ? Which bookies gave those odds?
    SkyBet

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
    This exactly. The shadow of Citey will be huge and, as a Newcastle fan, I've seen only too well what that shadow can do to the nerves. If they do win it then it will certainly be the greatest league achievement since Forest.

A slight aside, but I saw Vardy play a couple of times when he was at Fleetwood only a couple of years back. He was fast but that was about it. To see what he's achieved this season is incredible. Leicester will want to keep him fit for the run-in!

Grand Master
    SkyBet

Wow , that was always worth £10 Im amazed and gutted I didn't back them
    RIAC

I don't think you can say the bubble will burst this far into the season. This many games isn't a bubble.

Be brilliant if it happens and a real kick up the backside of the 'best league in the world' (blah).

But Jesus those bloody paper clapper things. Aaagh get rid.

Master

Pl

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Great performance so far, but to put things into perspective... if we'd won the game against Leicester that we TOTALLY dominated the other week, we'd be top. Just saying...
    Ah but Tony, very often the team that wins the league gets outplayed in a couple of games during the season but sneaks a victory. Man U had many of those games over the years They even named some of them Fergie Time

As a lifelong Man Utd supporter whose father is a lifelong Leicester supporter, it gives me no pleasure to tell you that Man City will win it.

Master
    SkyBet

Wow! Has he started to think about laying any of that 2nd bet off yet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    There are some betting sites where you can cash your bet in early - I wonder what his 'cash in' value is now? They are almost guaranteed to get top 4 and make him a few K unless they totally collapse. You'd want 6 or 7k to cash in at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    There are some betting sites where you can cash your bet in early - I wonder what his 'cash in' value is now? They are almost guaranteed to get top 4 and make him a few K unless they totally collapse. You'd want 6 or 7k to cash in at least.
    Each way won't cover top 4 (it's top 2) so isn't guaranteed to make a few k. Although the first bet looks a deffo

The bet is £5 each way (not 10)!

Fair play to them if they do.
    Good to watch, entertaining, goals guaranteed (mostly).
    What's not to like?
    Saturday should be good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Each way won't cover top 4 (it's top 2) so isn't guaranteed to make a few k. Although the first bet looks a deffo
    My mistake, I read the top bet as top 4.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Man City are evens, Arsenal 3 - 1 and Spurs 6 - 1, could also cover Man U at 33's, so providing it's one of those 4 it would seem you could ensure at least a few bob. Maybe hold off for a bit though and see what happens on the run in, all in all though he's in a very good position

I have zero knowledge of betting, but I don't think this offers a 'cash out' as I thought that is usually displayed as an option? It may appear nearer the end of the season???

Irrespective of the bet amount, it's still a nice position to be in and will make each match a little more exciting for him than many.

Even if there is no 'cash out' option you can lay the bet at somewhere like Betfair. This means you would bet against them finishing top 2. If they don't you will win that bet and could certainly ensure some decent profit.

Would be a tremendous achievement and would give the premier league another major lift around the world.
    Unfortunately the Villa will not be part of of it for the first time and all we can hope for is that West Brom are not far behind us .

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    People were saying by the beginning of Dec and then well they will run out of steam by Xmas...

Arsenal,Man City, Chelsea ( Tottehham and Man utd have Europa) all have big mid week European games in Feb and so forth . This is a massive advantage to Leicester.

I hope they do it. I like the Tinkerman and it would great to see a team win the title without buying it.

Was good to see the stat that its been a long time since a team were leading at the start of Feb and didn't win the title

I really hope they win it.
    The whole team seems grounded, they play with genuine enthusiasm and just seem to love winning.
    Long may it continue......

And I'm a West Ham fan!

Master
    Regarding the betting, can anyone remember the two ex Ladbrokes guys that sold their story in the 90's of how they made a fortune betting? I remember two of their bets. First one was them going round to really small independent bookies and getting odds of a hole in one at tournaments some gave them odds as high as 50/1 so they put bets of between £30 to £50. The big bookies only give odds of maybe 7/4 or 2/1 because very often over 4 days with dozens of the best players in the world someone would do it. They cleaned up with the independents though as they priced it way out.

The second was on Terry Griffiths in the world championship. I can't remember the details but they got x odds on him winning with bookies and as the torunament progressed they got really high odds on him not winning as he was playing so well. Come the quarter or semis they couldn't care less what happened as they had great odds on both outcomes. . . . . In a way Leicester could soon be in this position. Putting a few k on them not to win could guarantee a reasonable payout either way :-)

I hope they win it ,but they'll only avoid relegation next year,with all the extra games

Journeyman
    They defo deserve it. Hope they will do it

Come on Leicester

I am a lifelong Man Utd fan and amazingly born and raised in Manchester I love what Leicester are doing they play exciting football as a unit work hard for each other no over earning prima Donna's and the most entertaining coach in the league . I would love to see them win it they are where they are on merit and it would be great for the EPL come on City!!!!

5000/1 each way is effectively £5 on Leicester to finish in the top 2. That bet is 3.15 to lay on Betfair Exchange and effectively he has £5 at 5001 in Betfair parlance.

He could therefore lay off the bet on Betfair for £8006 at 3.15 for a £17,342 liability. If Leicester finished in the top 2 he would win £25k from Sky and lose £17,342 on Betfair. If Leicester finished outside the Top 2 he would lose his £5 with Sky and win £8006 less 5% commission = £7,658 on Betfair.

Either way he's just under £7.7k up

Craftsman
    I think during the run in they might draw a few away games which will see the under them move above. I think they'll get a top 4 spot though and they deserve that at the very least.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    People were saying by the beginning of Dec and then well they will run out of steam by Xmas...

Arsenal,Man City, Chelsea ( Tottehham and Man utd have Europa) all have big mid week European games in Feb and so forth . This is a massive advantage to Leicester.
    Also the reason why Liverpool almost won the league before a cheeky slip...

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    6.2 (so a smudge over 5/1 for them NOT to win

I'd have £1000 on that (means tying up £5000) but then if the worst happens he gets £1000!!!!

Craftsman
    As a Spurs fan, I'd have to cry if we happened to finish 2nd the year Leicester win it!

NEVER GET BORED OF THIS....

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Also the reason why Liverpool almost won the league before a cheeky slip...

All to play for, we are enjoying the ride atm and the next two games are important but so are the following 12,
    Those down the bottom are not going to be a walkover and it maybe a slip up against a lower placed team that may be are undoing,
    I would have took a top 16 finish at the start of the season

Blog Entries
    I can't believe I've missed this thread?!!! I avoided bumping my previous thread when we went top, as I felt I was in danger of becoming irritating!

Lifelong fan and season ticket holder in SK4 (I was about as close as you could get In the ground the Vardy goal)

I have to say that I have become rather obsessed with what is happening at the moment, part of me wants us to fade away so that I can start to feel normal again as its quite overwhelming! But, frankly there are very few signs of that happening...

We've been at it for nearly a year now, as, lest we forget, we started winning at the tail end of last season...

There are numerous reasons for this...

Name me a more effective current midfield pairing (yes I'm being serious)?
    Name me a side with more pace?
    Name me a more united team?
    Name me a team where three players (Mahrez, Drinkwater and Vardy) have developed so much since the last season?

Granted other teams have better squads and players, but, the fact remains that we are really bloomin' good...

I could well be just getting carried away with it all at the moment, but, I think we may be there or there abouts in the end... Champions league woudl be tremendous, but, history remembers champions... I can only dream

I really enjoyed Leeds in 1992 (to the extent that I can still just about remember the starting 11) and I'm hoping so much that Leicester do the same. Got fed up with bought titles.

Master
    I'm looking forward to the underdogs winning will be good for the league as a whole

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdj10 View Post
    As a Spurs fan, I'd have to cry if we happened to finish 2nd the year Leicester win it!
    Leicester have been on top of the PL for longer than Spurs have in the whole history PL competition... I like that stat!

My favourite stat has nothing to do with LCFC though... Anthiny Martial has had more babies than Hazard has scored goals this year!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 4th February 2016 at 22:42.