closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 1330

Omega 1330

Hi all

I have a two-hander Omega 1330 that is sadly U/S. I am no expert, but I believe it is the electronic module (part # 1330-9150) that is at fault.

I am keeping my eyes open for either this part or a spare working movement to come up on eBay (unsurprisingly none of the regular suppliers seem to have it as NOS), but in the meantime would anyone happen to know if there is a replacement quartz movement that might fit?

Ranfft tells me that the 1330 is 20mm diameter and 6mm high, see http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Omega_1330

I can trawl through the specs for every other quartz movement but I wondered if anyone might happen to know one of similar dimensions already?

Clearly an Omega quartz movement would be ideal, but as I am only resurrecting the watch to use as a beater I would be fine replacing it with a generic movement of the right specification.

Omega 1330

Well, an alternative replacement quartz movement is on its way. Nominally the same size, at least as measured using the digital calipers, it will be interesting to see what is needed to make it fit - if it fits at all of course.

If it works, at least this way the watch will be usable until the original movement can be repaired (if it ever can).

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Keep us posted. It may be useful for others in the future. I've had similar movement swap opportunities and wondered about suitable alternatives. Thanks, and hope it fits!

Will do.

The new movement arrived in today's post and fits perfectly.

As I expected, though, the dial feet from the Omega are not in the correct position for the new movement. I don't really want to remove them and use dial spots, as I would prefer at some point to restore the watch to the original specification, so I might have to look at some surreptitious drilling of the new movement.

In retrospect a smaller movement might have been a better proposition, as then the holes for the dial could have been drilled in the movement ring.

At GBP 6.50 plus postage, though, I'll have a go with the movement that arrived today first.

I tried a variety of ways to use the original dial with the Ronda 502 movement, including drilling holes in the movement main plate (resulting in....ahem...a second movement being required) but it proved too much of a challenge for my limited skills.

In the end I had to remove the dial feet from the Omega dial and use spots. Other than that, the movement fits well and is keeping good time.

A replacement Omega crown of a suitable size was also sourced and fitted.

Though clearly not ideal, it has at least let me get the watch back into a usable state:

Given that there seemed little alternative other than scrap, and the watch is just intended as a beater, I am happy with the result.

In the meantime I have also found a potential replacement dial and movement (though unclear if it is works) so that does give me another option if needed.

Grand Master
    Repair dial feet are available, with a flat base. They’re fiddly to trim and fit, but I’ve used them to repair broken feet using twp pack epoxy adhesive to fix them to the dial. If this is done carefully thevresulting repair is fine but won’t stand up to being dismantled and refitted many times.

One problem with fitting a non-standard movement is getting the crown to fit at the correct height and getting the dial at the right height. Basically I avoid these jobs like the plague, too much fannying about and no guarantee of a satsfactory outcome. However, it’s a viable alternative to fixing an old movement with nil parts availability.

Paul

Omega 1330

Paul, that’s much how I approached it - it would either work or the watch would have continued on its trajectory to the scrap bin, as parts for the 1330 seem to be like the proverbial hen’s teeth.

From what I could tell of the technical specifications beforehand the Ronda seemed like a good fit, though marginally slimmer than the 1330 (by about 0.2-0.3mm). Helped by the fact that the case/case back has a slot for the stem rather than a hole, as it turns out the crown and stem are unimpeded.

More luck than judgement, but it’s nice when it does work!

Apprentice

quartz alternative to Omega 1339

[QUOTE=willie_gunn;4908700]Hi all

I have a two-hander Omega 1330 that is sadly U/S. I am no expert, but I believe it is the electronic module (part # 1330-9150) that is at fault.

I am keeping my eyes open for either this part or a spare working movement to come up on eBay (unsurprisingly none of the regular suppliers seem to have it as NOS), but in the meantime would anyone happen to know if there is a replacement quartz movement that might fit?

Ranfft tells me that the 1330 is 20mm diameter and 6mm high, see http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Omega_1330

I can trawl through the specs for every other quartz movement but I wondered if anyone might happen to know one of similar dimensions already?

Clearly an Omega quartz movement would be ideal, but as I am only resurrecting the watch to use as a beater I would be fine replacing it with a generic movement of the right specification.[/QUOTE,
    Last edited by bez2go; 30th December 2018 at 01:21. Reason: re positioning at end of posts

Apprentice

ETA alternative to Omega 1330 movement?

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Well, an alternative replacement quartz movement is on its way. Nominally the same size, at least as measured using the digital calipers, it will be interesting to see what is needed to make it fit - if it fits at all of course.

If it works, at least this way the watch will be usable until the original movement can be repaired (if it ever can).

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Hi, a newbie here but have just had an ETA F06 111(? date version??) fitted to my old dead(return to Switzerland only for repair!) Omega 1330(2 hands , non date). This was done in Bangkok in one afternoon while I was visiting.Cost 3000 Thai baht but looks to be perfect fit, original hands and crown retained and my old movement returned to me, keeping excellent time since. Only variation apparent is time setting now conventional- both hands move when stem/crown withdrawn, unlike the cumbersome 2 step process required with original movement (i.e. push in crown button for minute adjust, winder turning for hours). New movement also takes much larger battery than the replacement for original. Have done some research and it seems that ETA movements(Swiss made) are widely used including by 'premier' brands, the depressing fact though is they can be bought inexpensively new eg $20-30 AUD for mine !! whereas sometimes even dead Omega movements are priced at eg $100! I did note that there was a range of 1330 component parts available on ebay (out of Eastern Europe). Overall I am very happy with the result and if I had another dead Omega 1330 , I would try to fit an ETA myself

Quote Originally Posted by bez2go View Post
    Hi, a newbie here but have just had an ETA F06 111(? date version??) fitted to my old dead(return to Switzerland only for repair!) Omega 1330(2 hands , non date). This was done in Bangkok in one afternoon while I was visiting.Cost 3000 Thai baht but looks to be perfect fit, original hands and crown retained and my old movement returned to me, keeping excellent time since. Only variation apparent is time setting now conventional- both hands move when stem/crown withdrawn, unlike the cumbersome 2 step process required with original movement (i.e. push in crown button for minute adjust, winder turning for hours). New movement also takes much larger battery than the replacement for original. Have done some research and it seems that ETA movements(Swiss made) are widely used including by 'premier' brands, the depressing fact though is they can be bought inexpensively new eg $20-30 AUD for mine !! whereas sometimes even dead Omega movements are priced at eg $100! I did note that there was a range of 1330 component parts available on ebay (out of Eastern Europe). Overall I am very happy with the result and if I had another dead Omega 1330 , I would try to fit an ETA myself
    Apologies for the tardy reply, but I have been away for a while so have only just come back to the site.

Interesting that they fitted the F06.111, as that is an 11 1/2 ligne movement as opposed to the Ronda 502 at 10 1/2 ligne. Clearly you had more clearance in your case than I did with mine, as in mine the original movement ring was sized for a 10 1/2 ligne movement. How nice that you could retain the original hands though!

I am still keeping an eye on eBay for a replacement 1330 movement, but as you say they tend to be few and far between.

Would love to see some photos of your watch and the movement.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Apologies for the tardy reply, but I have been away for a while so have only just come back to the site.

Interesting that they fitted the F06.111, as that is an 11 1/2 ligne movement as opposed to the Ronda 502 at 10 1/2 ligne. Clearly you had more clearance in your case than I did with mine, as in mine the original movement ring was sized for a 10 1/2 ligne movement. How nice that you could retain the original hands though!

I am still keeping an eye on eBay for a replacement 1330 movement, but as you say they tend to be few and far between.

Would love to see some photos of your watch and the movement.
    I think they fitted what they had on hand and they had less than 24 hours to attempt repair or replace . I am not sure whether I am allowed to post pics but if yes then happy to do so. More importantly watch is running very well/accurately

Quote Originally Posted by bez2go View Post
    I think they fitted what they had on hand and they had less than 24 hours to attempt repair or replace . I am not sure whether I am allowed to post pics but if yes then happy to do so. More importantly watch is running very well/accurately
    They certainly did a great job, particularly given the tight timescales and limited resources they had.

I know that some will likely shake their heads in horror at the thought of replacing an Omega movement with a Ronda or ETA, but the alternative is a watch that can perform no other function than being a shiny paperweight. Instead you now have a timepiece that has been given a new lease of life.

Well done.

Apprentice
    Update: modified Omega still keeping EXCELLENT time ! however, unbelievably I came across an original 1330 movement (in Australia too!) which is described as working perfectly, recently serviced Moebius oil. Decided to buy it on ebay as their return policy protected the purchase. And yes IS running perfectly (came with good dial and hands, but not the same as mine). Only question for me is do I replace the perfectly functioning ETA movement. Most likely I will but may avoid Aussie watch repairers who charge like wounded bulls. Closer inspection of the ETA movement proved it to be a FO5 111 , not FO6 as previously stated. And this accounts for the apparent thickness discrepancy -- FO5 being 101/2 ligne
    Last edited by bez2go; 5th March 2019 at 11:41. Reason: correcting initial information in origimal reply