timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Watch in a Sauna

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Driffield, UK
    Posts
    2,559

    Watch in a Sauna

    Is it okay to wear my SM Pro in a sauna?

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North East, England
    Posts
    1,195
    If you close the HE valve!

    Seriously though, I've never had a problem with any of my (non vintage) watches in the sauna, steam room or hot tub. Somebody will be along shortly with arguments against doing so but in my real life experience if never had any bother.

  3. #3
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    s60
    Posts
    253
    Yes its safe while wearing a mankini , i wouldn't risk it in shorts though .

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Driffield, UK
    Posts
    2,559
    Thanks.....

    I feel too naked without a watch on ;-)

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,175
    In principle, there's no problem. The watch will see a temp of around 45į max. Not sure why you'd want to wear it in a sauna but I can`t see it doing any harm.

  6. #6
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    5,137
    Pelagos been in and out sauna regularly - no issues

  7. #7
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    In principle, there's no problem. The watch will see a temp of around 45į max. Not sure why you'd want to wear it in a sauna but I can`t see it doing any harm.
    Because you were swimming with it? Nipping into sauna after a dip in the pool is fairly standard no?

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Driffield, UK
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Because you were swimming with it? Nipping into sauna after a dip in the pool is fairly standard no?
    Yes that sort of thing....

  9. #9
    Craftsman jimmbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Is it okay to wear my SM Pro in a sauna?
    Yes, but only around your wrist!

  10. #10
    Master Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    4,014
    I wear a watch in the Sauna all the time to time the session, 15 mins typically, I only take a g Shock in there though

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Stockton, Teesside, UK
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Thanks.....

    I feel too naked without a watch on ;-)
    Yeah...me to!

  12. #12
    Grand Master seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    28,949
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Is it okay to wear my SM Pro in a sauna?
    As long as its within a humidor, then yes. Otherwise the end of the world might follow.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish :)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not sure why you'd want to wear it in a sauna.
    To tell the time?

  14. #14
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,175
    I don`t do saunas, hate the damned things, never understood the logic of subjecting the body to dry heat and forcing it to sweat, especially after exercise. Maybe I`m missing a trick somewhere, but I find a warm shower more satisfying, or a soak in a hot bath.

    Swimming in watches?......not for me, again I don`t see the point.

    The chances of me swimming in a watch and subsequently having a sauna are therefore miniscule, more chance of me flying to the moon

  15. #15
    Master Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    4,014
    Saunas are good for detox, cleansing the skin, softening stiff aching muscles and the transition to a cold shower afterwards is supposed to be good for your immune system.

  16. #16
    Master colin t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,763
    Letís not get drawn into a justification of saunas.

    I think Paul is capable of understanding the logic behind saunas, but simply doesnít want to develop to that state of enlightenment because he doesnít like them. Which is fair enough.

    In answer to your posted question OP: yes.

  17. #17
    I also find that wearing on in a Hammam cleans up the stainless steel bracelet nicely. A bit like those steam cleaners on QVC!

  18. #18
    When I had my SubC I regularly wore it swimming and then in the sauna with no ill effects.

    The metal does get hot after a while though.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    3,376
    I lived in Finland, where Saunas are....very, very hot. It's a macho thing. If you were to wear a watch with a steel bracelet, that could burn. And the contrast between extreme steamy heat and cold water is not going to do any watch much good; you, on the other hand, might feel great. Eventually. And don't forget the birch twigs.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    France
    Posts
    387
    I used to used a sauna a lot and was always wearing my SKX. It never affected it. Steaming sauna, plunge pool, the works. Watch did not care.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,341
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I lived in Finland, where Saunas are....very, very hot. It's a macho thing. If you were to wear a watch with a steel bracelet, that could burn. And the contrast between extreme steamy heat and cold water is not going to do any watch much good; you, on the other hand, might feel great. Eventually. And don't forget the birch twigs.
    Cant see how it will burn you - anymore than the surrounding air.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Cant see how it will burn you - anymore than the surrounding air.
    Nor can I see it. The watch will dissapate the air temperature into your body which, being much larger and mostly made of water, takes a lot more energy to raise its temperature. If however you had taken the watch off your wrist for a while in the sauna then put it back on it will hurt for a while.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  23. #23
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Is it okay to wear my SM Pro in a sauna?
    Thing is you say SM Pro, could be a Speedy in which case I'd say no :)

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

  24. #24
    I used to frequent the gym, and after an hour and a half of weights and cardio I found the sauna really relaxing. I used to wear a g shock to the gym as I didnít have to worry about scratching it (and putting it in a locker seemed really stupid) and I used to put the g shock next to me on a bench to time my sauna session. When I picked it up the metal caseback was really hot to the touch. I must have done the same thing 5 times a week for 10 years and the watch never had an issue - but Iíd leave the g shock on the bench as I got changed so the back could cool down


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Cant see how it will burn you - anymore than the surrounding air.
    Trust me, my solid silver necklace and Rolex/Seiko do get very hot, to the point you either get out or take them off. I personally GET OUT



    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  26. #26
    Grand Master seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    28,949
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Cant see how it will burn you - anymore than the surrounding air.
    Have you ever worn a watch in a sauna? Or seen the levis rivet commercial?

    Metals conduct heat. I learnt that at school. Got a C in chemistry o level iirc.

    One man's personal anecdote is another man's fact

    Got to love tz.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish :)

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,341
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Have you ever worn a watch in a sauna? Or seen the levis rivet commercial?

    Metals conduct heat. I learnt that at school. Got a C in chemistry o level iirc.

    One man's personal anecdote is another man's fact

    Got to love tz.
    Yes I have. SDc as it happens. As said above if you wear it it won’t burn u. If u do remove it then put it on yeh it might for a bit. The body acts as heat sink - which is why those watches with thermometers typically show the body temperature NOT the surroundings temperature.

    I have A levels in double maths , physics and chemistry btw. (A, A*, B)

    i love Tz too.


    just been doing a bit of surfing - this sounds particularly nasty!!

    Abstract

    Burn injuries caused by hot air sauna burns constitute a Finnish burn rarity. The patients are usually middle-aged men having passed out on the sauna benches under the influence of alcohol. Sauna air causes a deep injury penetrating all layers of the skin, accompanied with necrosis of the subcutaneous tissue and consequent rhabdomyolysis. The initially harmless-looking erythema of the skin rapidly transforms into a third-degree burn. Therapy includes the prevention of kidney damage and surgery. Local flaps are recommended for the treatment of tissue defects caused by destruction of deep tissues and amputations.


    m.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 12th October 2018 at 18:01.

  28. #28
    Grand Master seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    28,949
    I've had to remove watches in steam room /sauna in the past because they've got too hot
    So long, and thanks for all the fish :)

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,341
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I've had to remove watches in steam room /sauna in the past because they've got too hot
    Fair enough. Canít see how they can get hotter than you though - maybe they were on a loose bracelet so were reaching ambient temperature (80C) rather than your skin temperature (30C maybe).

    Only reason I wore a watch was to keep track of time - didnít want to fall asleep in a drunken stupor (see above).

    All the best. M.

  30. #30
    Grand Master seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    28,949
    I think the buckle is the issue, underside of the wrist is pretty sensitive
    So long, and thanks for all the fish :)

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Local flaps are recommended for the treatment of tissue defects caused by destruction of deep tissues and amputations.
    Try telling your missus that.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    264
    I have done it with my SMPc, loads of times. No issues.

    I'm not denying the risk, posited here and elsewhere by smarter men than I, that going from hot (sauna) to cold (swimming pool) and back may affect old and worn seals. But I can't believe that a well-maintained dive watch using modern technology seals would be at any risk whatsoever - and I walk that walk regularly.

  33. #33
    I went back and forth from sauna to pool about 5 times and got condensation in my watch and it all rusted up.... so for me it's a NO.
    However I always bathe and jacuzzi with it. A diver.

    Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •